It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User
Question Could this be GERD or Hiatal Hernia?

Recently I went to ER for radiating pain, from middle back around rib cage to middle of my chest, some tightness at the top of chest just below throat. Heart tests came back normal. They said it was costochondritis. That was a few weeks ago, but still have a moderate pinpoint pain under my right shoulder blade and get occasional pains under my right rib cage. Seems to be a little heavy breathing is accompanying this, almost like i'm not breathing as clear as I should, there is NO pain when breathing, just a heaviness, it comes and goes, but has been more steady the last two days. Have also had somewhat of a dry cough during all this.

I've had shortness of breath for years, mostly after eating and then while sitting down at my desk, sometimes when bending forward it happens, 99% of the time it does Not happen during activity or exercise. Has been a lot more frequent in the last 2 years.

But since this under the shoulder blade pain has started, I have had 2 large shortness of breath episodes in the last few weeks that made me move back a bit, they are pretty intense with some chest discomfort immediately following, the shortness of breath with the chest discomfort are quick and only last a second, but enough to scare me because of their intensity. Going to call the dr. tomorrow about these 2 larger episodes. They were about 2 1/2 weeks apart from each other, both while sitting down.

A family member suggested it could possibly be a hiatal hernia. I burp up a lot and have bloated feelings after eating, also burp up food occasionally in the esophagus after eating, mild heartburn is not as noticeable as the other symptoms. I also read where these symptoms could be gallbladder related.

I am a relatively good eater, a little bit of a belly, do occasional exercise, and a non-smoker, with no heart related problems in my family, other than my mother has Mitral Valve (considered mild), which I always thought I had because of the shortness of breath issues.

I was wondering what this could be. Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: Could this be GERD or Hiatal Hernia?

Hi,

I got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 5 weeks ago. it was almost a relief as i have suffered with shortness of breath episodes, terrible heartburn, and bringing up food usually after going to bed too soon after eating, for too long.

Im on Nexium and have been for about 7 weeks. Its been good for stopping the heartburn, but the past week ive been burping a lot and also have felt a bit nauseous too. I'm seeing my gastro in 2 weeks and i will mention this to him, but im thinking its probably the Nexium.

You need to have an endo this will give you the answers you need. These hernia's throw out all sorts of symptoms, especially unusual pains around the upper torso, eg: shoulders, back and chest.

Go ask the Doctor for an Endo.... that way you will know whats going on. I also had a CT scan of my lungs because mine was also causing acid reflux which gave me a terrible cough, whil they were there they had a look around at my stomach, pancreas, and liver, and guess what they found a minute cyst on my liver which the radiologist said about 99% of people walk around with liver cysts and never know it, so im not worrying about that on top of all this !!! Good luck

Last edited by Worrybucket; 08-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
Hi,

I got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 5 weeks ago. it was almost a relief as i have suffered with shortness of breath episodes, terrible heartburn, and bringing up food usually after going to bed too soon after eating, for too long.

Im on Nexium and have been for about 7 weeks. Its been good for stopping the heartburn, but the past week ive been burping a lot and also have felt a bit nauseous too. I'm seeing my gastro in 2 weeks and i will mention this to him, but im thinking its probably the Nexium.

You need to have an endo this will give you the answers you need. These hernia's throw out all sorts of symptoms, especially unusual pains around the upper torso, eg: shoulders, back and chest.

Go ask the Doctor for an Endo.... that way you will know whats going on. I also had a CT scan of my lungs because mine was also causing acid reflux which gave me a terrible cough, whil they were there they had a look around at my stomach, pancreas, and liver, and guess what they found a minute cyst on my liver which the radiologist said about 99% of people walk around with liver cysts and never know it, so im not worrying about that on top of all this !!! Good luck
My regular doc is out this week, so I'm reluctantly seeing a practitioner tomorrow morning about these issues. I feel better that I'm at least seeing someone this week about it, have some anxiety over it, which makes it worse.

I'm going to a different doc next week who I know is a more thorough dr. I wonder if an endo is something i can request? It sure would be a Huge relief to find out what's up after a lot of worrying about the unknown. I think I've had every symptom known to man in the last few weeks. Was a little light headed today. I'd like to just get a full body scan, lol. Check everything ! Then I might stop worrying about all the symptoms from head to toe.

Thanks for responding

Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I have a Hiatal Hernia and yes you can get the pains you mention and shortness of breath. Endoscopy would reveal whether you have Hiatal Hernia or not.
Have you been tested for Asthma as that is also a possibility.
I get lots of Hiccups and Burping with my H.H, also a feeling of regurgitation after eating.
Let us know how you get on with your Drs appointment.
All the best, Solofelix.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

I think I'll ask him about asthma also, i have a couple family members that have it. I've had allergies and sinus issues all my life. Currently have bad sinus pressure, headaches, they had me on 10 days of amoxicillin, seemed to be ok, but now it's back last couple of days. When it rains it pours

Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

Just a little bit ago, after lunch was sitting at my desk at work, got one of those quick dull compression's in my chest that took my breath away, right behind the sternum. Man i'm so sick of these, about once a day. It's almost always while sitting down 15 to 30 minutes after i've eaten something.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I have Ar/GERD and Hiatal Hernia and almost always get pain after eating. I also have Diverticulitis so that could be part of the problem.
Something I read by another member I found helpful. Don't sit after eating, lay down if poss for a short time and massage your stomach in a clockwise circular motion for say 5 mins or as long as you feel it is helping to release Gas which is causing the pain.
It doesn't cure the problem but I did find it helped me.
Hope this helps you. Solofelix.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
I have Ar/GERD and Hiatal Hernia and almost always get pain after eating. I also have Diverticulitis so that could be part of the problem.
Something I read by another member I found helpful. Don't sit after eating, lay down if poss for a short time and massage your stomach in a clockwise circular motion for say 5 mins or as long as you feel it is helping to release Gas which is causing the pain.
It doesn't cure the problem but I did find it helped me.
Hope this helps you. Solofelix.
Thanks Solofelix, I'll give that a try

I can see where people get anxious and run down from these issues we have. It's exhausting trying to figure out whats wrong with you, anticipating on when another attack will occur, etc. Plus all of the internet researching, which can make you worry more, darn stressful. Blah

Old 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I was going to ask this question . I've been on nexium now fir about 6 weeks I've been fine but this last week I've been burping such a lot and have this real feeling I have bubbles or air in my upper tract. This also makes me feel nauseous too sort of like and empty feeling un my stomach. IRS horrible. I take my nexium lying flat in bed half hour before I get up in morning. I was told to by the doctor I'm now wondering if it's taking nexium on empty stomach , taking nexium full stop or my HH ? I've not suffered this before and I've prob had this HH a long time. Any suggestions please ? And to the poster definitely insist on the endo. Without it you won't get a proper diagnosis.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepyjake View Post
Thanks Solofelix, I'll give that a try

I can see where people get anxious and run down from these issues we have. It's exhausting trying to figure out whats wrong with you, anticipating on when another attack will occur, etc. Plus all of the internet researching, which can make you worry more, darn stressful. Blah
I found online where you put your hand just below your rib cage and gently pull downward on the stomach if you have a hiatal hernia. supposed to bring it down from being herniated. Not sure if that works or not, but worth a shot.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

What about requesting an MRI or CT scan, just in case it may be something else? Or do you think Endo is enough? I'm a little concerned about the breathing issues after I eat. I can't seem to get good clear breathing after eating. And the slight pain between my shoulder blades. Is this common with GERD or HH ?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
What about requesting an MRI or CT scan, just in case it may be something else? Or do you think Endo is enough? I'm a little concerned about the breathing issues after I eat. I can't seem to get good clear breathing after eating. And the slight pain between my shoulder blades. Is this common with GERD or HH ?

I have had an Endoscopy/CT Scan and Ultra-Sound.
The first one discovered my H.H.
The other two were to rule out Gallbladder problem. Mine was O.K.

I have constant breathing problems for about an hour or so after eating, so I think it's normal with AR/GERD and H.H.
Having said that I am also Asthmatic so one can aggravate the other.
Solofelix.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #13
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

Quote:
I have had an Endoscopy/CT Scan and Ultra-Sound.
The first one discovered my H.H.
The other two were to rule out Gallbladder problem. Mine was O.K.

I have constant breathing problems for about an hour or so after eating, so I think it's normal with AR/GERD and H.H.
Having said that I am also Asthmatic so one can aggravate the other.
Solofelix.
My breathing issue has been constant most of the week. Ibuprofen actually seemed to help. I had been told I had costochondritis at the emergency room, but I thought that was just a throwaway diagnosis. But the more I read about it, it can cause breathing issues and the pain I experience in my back and ribs. But I still want them to check the sudden chest compression that takes my breath away, that almost always happens after eating and then sitting down.

Another thing I remember having a lot of the time is, i'll talk a little hoarse after eating lunch, i can imagine GERD can cause this?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
My breathing issue has been constant most of the week. Ibuprofen actually seemed to help. I had been told I had costochondritis at the emergency room, but I thought that was just a throwaway diagnosis. But the more I read about it, it can cause breathing issues and the pain I experience in my back and ribs. But I still want them to check the sudden chest compression that takes my breath away, that almost always happens after eating and then sitting down.

Another thing I remember having a lot of the time is, i'll talk a little hoarse after eating lunch, i can imagine GERD can cause this?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

I just looked up your condition and I see it is an Inflamatory problem, hense the reason you feel better taking NSAD Ibuprofen.
You should speak to your Dr about the feeling in your chest after eating, but I feel they are likely to be connected. Solofelix.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
(male)

Jeepyjake HB User

Quote:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

I just looked up your condition and I see it is an Inflamatory problem, hense the reason you feel better taking NSAD Ibuprofen.
You should speak to your Dr about the feeling in your chest after eating, but I feel they are likely to be connected. Solofelix.
Yeah, it was such a relief today after a sleepless night. I can handle pain much better than breathing conditions, hate that more than anything.

I'll really be asking for tests, a lot of doctors just send you on your way after an office visit, but I think the one i'll be going to is very thorough, i like that.

Thanks for the support & suggestions

Last edited by Jeepyjake; 08-05-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Closed Thread