It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
(male)

Steelcody36 HB User
Suffering with GERD, looking for help

Hello all, I'm Cody.

I'm only 23, but have been suffering with GERD/Hiatal hernia for four years now.

I do well on Prevacid OTC, but am told I can only take it two weeks at a time. The rest of the time, I take Pantoprazole 20 MG which doesn't seem to work for me.

The last couple of weeks, I'm rarely hungry, bloated and have stomach pain pretty much all day. Also, my face feels flush often.

What's worse, I think I had a panic attack the other night.

Are these symptoms normal and are their ways to cope with it?

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Suffering with GERD, looking for help

If Prevacid works best for you, there's no reason you can't take it all the time. To switch back and forth from a drug that works to one that doesn't is a very strange treatment plan!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
(male)

Steelcody36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
If Prevacid works best for you, there's no reason you can't take it all the time. To switch back and forth from a drug that works to one that doesn't is a very strange treatment plan!
I was told Prevacid is only to be used in two week long treatment plans, and that continued use can cause problems. I may call my doctor and tell him what I was told by the pharmacists.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

No, that's not it. You aren't supposed to take the OTC version for more than 2 weeks without a doctor's permission. If you NEED it for more than 2 weeks, it's a sign you need to get checked out.

Pantoprazole is almost exactly the same kind of medicine as Prevacid. You may as well take the one that works best!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Steelcody36 (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
(male)

Steelcody36 HB User

Thanks for the advice Jane.

If I start suffering again tomorrow I'll call and explain the situation to my doctor. I hate feeling like I'm taking up the time of somebody who is extremely ill, which is why I rarely call the doc.

Probably dumb on my part!

Closed Thread