It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
(male)

mucous HB User
Lump in throat = irritation at back of tongue?

Hi all, I have been on these message boards fairly frequently over the last few years. I have unknowingly suffered from silent acid reflux for quite a few years now. Constant sore throats that were treated as colds etc etc. I have also had burning throat from time to time, mucous, ear ache, neck pain, burping etc etc.

Had an upper GI endoscopy nearly 2 years ago and was diagnosed with a 3 cm hiatus hernia. Since then I have tried Pantoprazole (didn't really do much for me), Oemaprazole and Lansoprazole. I am also on 300mg Ranitidine in the evenings.

My main symptom nowadays is that of a feeling of irritation right at the back of my tongue/top of my throat on the left hand side, as well as still getting neck pain and ear pangs. Went back to my ENT who said he was not clinically concerned but sent me for a neck MRI for which I am still waiting for the results.

Does my throat irritation sound familiar to anyone. It is more of an irritation than a pain and is quite difficult to describe. Although my ENT could not see down to the point in question he did say my throat looking very healthy.

Does not bother me all the time everyday especially after waking up but tends to get worse as I move my tongue around to almost scratch the irritation (not really an itch)

A couple of beers definitely helps me to ignore it!

Sorry for the long post :-)

Good luck to all of you! This is tiring to say the least!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
(female)

Baffled62 HB User
Re: Lump in throat = irritation at back of tongue?

I totally have the same thing. No one seems to be able to tell me what it is. I have been diagnosed with AR/GERD but have never had heartburn or acid indigestion. Have you lost weight? This is, like you say, an irritation and not pain but makes me think I can't swallow. Do you have that problem? I am taking Nexium and have been for about five months but haven't noticed any real improvement. Also have the "lump in the throat" feeling which definitely affects the ability to swallow. Not sure what else I can try to make it better.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

I have the same weird sensation in the back left side. It can go away, but if you think about it, you can sort of feel it there. It is pretty innocuous. During stressful times, it gets worse.

I call it the Bunyip disease. Some say it's acid reflux, some say its nerve damage. Either way, alcohol is its cure, but don't overdo the alcohol, or you'll end up with a broken middle foot bone and in a cast for 6 weeks, which will suddenly become the more important health problem in your life.

Thine,

fellow guy with slight discomfort in left side of throat that can become more annoying if I constantly swallow and obsess about it.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
(male)

ferrethouse HB User

I have something similar. I often get a white coat on my tongue and the normal bumps at the back of my tongue are often swollen. It certainly seems like my tongue is part of the problem. My ENT and dentist said everything looks normal (certainly doesn't feel normal). I've tried everything without much help. Currently, I'm trying muscle massage. Apparently, very tight digastric and SCM muscles can causing a feeling of something being stuck in your throat. Do a search for a site called "Ground Up Strength" and it will show you how to massage out those muscles. It does provide some relief but since I just started doing it I don't know if it is just temporary.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
(male)

River99999 HB User

I have the same problem, back of tongue or upper throat at the left side feels swallen or kind of abnormal. My tongue was covered by white coat too and the left side of the tongue is swallen. I can see teeth scores at the left side of the tongue. I also feel a sweet mouth and have hoarce voice from time to time - it occurs usually 1-2 hours after a meal. It lasts for several hours or even a whole day. ENT doctors say it is LPR (LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux), but the medicines given by the doctors (PPI) made it even worse...I really like to exchange information and get helpul hints from all friends on this healthboard...

Old 11-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
(male)

ferrethouse HB User

Hi River,

Do you have any post nasal drip? I find nasal rinses provide some relief (a few hours). I seem to have a sore spot behind my Adam's apple and it hurts a bit when I open my mouth wide. I'm going to see a different ENT at the end of December. It does seem to be a fairly common thing though. I'm actually starting to get used to it. It seems I might have this for a long time

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Let's assume then, that is in fact, a type of post viral vagal neuropathy, rather than acid reflux, that results from a very bad UPI. Thus acid reflux treatments will not help in the slightest. Rather, trying your best to ignore it is the best treatment. Meanwhile, more and more people will get it (God forbid) and a decade from now, or 2, doctors will catch on that it is a type of virus. Then the rest of the poor suckers like us can stop taking ppis and avoiding coffee and big macs.

Deal?

Deal!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

I'm astonished because my irritation is always on the left side of my throat/neck as well. How can that be? Yes alcohol does soothe it, but I tend to have a bit of a rebound problem with indigestion if I drink. You can't win!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
(male)

ferrethouse HB User

It is interesting. My uvula is off midline (leans to the left) which usually is an indicator of nerve damage. But my ENT (and other doctors) completely dismiss it as a symptom of anything.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
(female)

meadecf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by River99999 View Post
I have the same problem, back of tongue or upper throat at the left side feels swallen or kind of abnormal. My tongue was covered by white coat too and the left side of the tongue is swallen. I can see teeth scores at the left side of the tongue. I also feel a sweet mouth and have hoarce voice from time to time - it occurs usually 1-2 hours after a meal. It lasts for several hours or even a whole day. ENT doctors say it is LPR (LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux), but the medicines given by the doctors (PPI) made it even worse...I really like to exchange information and get helpul hints from all friends on this healthboard...
I have the exact same issues. Once I have the lump in my throat and the white coated tongue, the very next day I have horrible heartburn and back pain. i have tried all the medications and nothing has helped. I have not seen my GI doctor since the heital hernia was found, but i have an appt next wednesday.

Closed Thread