It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

ajm523 HB User
Dexilant -- how and when to get off

New member here looking for some advice, seeing as my doctor wasn't very helpful.

I've been on 60 mg Dexilant for 8 weeks, before that 30 mg lansoprazole (generic Prevacid) for 3 weeks. My GI doctor wanted me to stay on the Dexilant for at least 2 more months. After reading what these medications can do to you long-term, I don't think that's the best idea. He only put me on the Dexilant because he claimed I had an acidic stomach due to stress. I was having a lot of nausea before the Dexilant (I think some of it may have been a side effect of the lansoprazole) and a couple minor heartburn episodes.

The good thing about the Dexilant is I've been able to eat normally, however, I never really had a problem with reflux until I started taking Klonopin. I'm now going through the nasty process known as benzo withdrawal, tapering the Klonopin, due to come off that in a little over a week. I'm afraid the lack of stomach acid from the Dexilant is starting to do bad things to me -- I'm having trouble swallowing a lot.

I don't know how to get off this high dose of Dexilant safely though. I can't get the 30 mg Dexilant prescription because I don't have a supportive doctor, and I know you need to taper a PPI somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this and how to manage the acid rebound? Will I have to REALLY limit my diet as I do this? I'm already very skinny and I'm scared I'm going to lose a lot a weight if I have to cut out a lot of foods...and I'm going back to college on Sunday and I'm going to want to have foods that are quickly prepared (i.e lunchmeat, peanut butter sandwiches, eggs) and probably will deal with a lot of temptation to run out and grab a grilled chicken sandwich or a burger from a fast food restaurant (which I admit is mostly what I've been eating lately.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Dexilant -- how and when to get off

Not everyone experiences rebound. One study found about half of people can quit without problems.

The best thing to do, though, is to be proactive about OTC medicines. Prevacid is very similar to Dexilant, and the OTC version is 15 mg. You could try taking 30 mg per day for a week or two, and see if you have an increase in symptoms. If no, then cut it out. You can also use Zantac to help with rebound.

Most of those foods you mention are fairly gentle on the digestion, except for burgers.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
(female)

ajm523 HB User

I think generic Prevacid was making me nauseous, though not sure. It may have just been because I had a stomach virus that took a while to go away...come to think of it, if I don't take Dexilant with food, I get nauseous too. I actually have some of the 30 mg generic Prevacid left. Maybe I will try taking that and see how I feel...and if it makes me sick I'll just go back to the Dexilant and come up with another plan.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
(male)

jkops1541 HB User

Im sorry to hear what your going through i first started having stomach pain in January of 10 from anxiety i started taking klonopin as well but started reading the adverse of the medicine and tried to tapper of it long story short i am on 60 mg dexilant and seem to not be able to function without either one klonopin or two dexilant i need one or the other i was told after being on it for 2 to 4 months i should no longer need it but i seem to be only getting worse every time i go off dexilant only thing i could recommend is sulcrate and tums
but this hasnt worked for me either but i have to pretend it does for about 12 weeks to make it through bootcamp if you find something better to try let me know please
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm523 View Post
New member here looking for some advice, seeing as my doctor wasn't very helpful.

I've been on 60 mg Dexilant for 8 weeks, before that 30 mg lansoprazole (generic Prevacid) for 3 weeks. My GI doctor wanted me to stay on the Dexilant for at least 2 more months. After reading what these medications can do to you long-term, I don't think that's the best idea. He only put me on the Dexilant because he claimed I had an acidic stomach due to stress. I was having a lot of nausea before the Dexilant (I think some of it may have been a side effect of the lansoprazole) and a couple minor heartburn episodes.

The good thing about the Dexilant is I've been able to eat normally, however, I never really had a problem with reflux until I started taking Klonopin. I'm now going through the nasty process known as benzo withdrawal, tapering the Klonopin, due to come off that in a little over a week. I'm afraid the lack of stomach acid from the Dexilant is starting to do bad things to me -- I'm having trouble swallowing a lot.

I don't know how to get off this high dose of Dexilant safely though. I can't get the 30 mg Dexilant prescription because I don't have a supportive doctor, and I know you need to taper a PPI somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this and how to manage the acid rebound? Will I have to REALLY limit my diet as I do this? I'm already very skinny and I'm scared I'm going to lose a lot a weight if I have to cut out a lot of foods...and I'm going back to college on Sunday and I'm going to want to have foods that are quickly prepared (i.e lunchmeat, peanut butter sandwiches, eggs) and probably will deal with a lot of temptation to run out and grab a grilled chicken sandwich or a burger from a fast food restaurant (which I admit is mostly what I've been eating lately.)

Old 04-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
(male)

jkops1541 HB User

Im sorry to hear what your going through i first started having stomach pain in January of 10 from anxiety i started taking klonopin as well but started reading the adverse of the medicine and tried to tapper of it long story short i am on 60 mg dexilant and seem to not be able to function without either one klonopin or two dexilant i need one or the other i was told after being on it for 2 to 4 months i should no longer need it but i seem to be only getting worse every time i go off dexilant only thing i could recommend is sulcrate and tums
but this hasnt worked for me either but i have to pretend it does for about 12 weeks to make it through bootcamp if you find something better to try let me know please p.s. i have been on dexilant for over a year now dog ate right in middle of last script now i am in horrible pain till i can get refill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm523 View Post

Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

If you are really in need of the Dexilant, I wouldn't worry about the long-term effects right now. You've only been on it for a couple months. It usually takes that long for healing to really take place. A couple more months shouldn't make much more difference if you haven't already had side-effects.

I've been on the PPI's for years, and taking Dexilant for 5 of those. From what I've read, the long-term side effects usually apply more to those who are in situations like mine and stuck on it indefinitely. I completely understand your concerns though.

I've gone off the PPI's in the past for testing with no problems at all. Not everyone has the rebound effects. Pepcid is a good supplement if you need somehting during your transition.

It really will make a difference based upon what your actual health issues are.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
(male)

miserablewiththis HB Usermiserablewiththis HB User

mountain ,
Would you please tell me more details about your story stoping ppi ?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Sorry, I don't have much of a story to tell. I've been on PPI's for about 11 years. I've had multiple pH tests over the years which necessitated going off of the PPI's. I also recently had a period of time where I had trouble with my insurance and ended up off of the Dexilant for a while.

I just went off of them cold turkey for the testings since I couldn't supplement with other things. While I continued having symptoms a few of the times, I never had the "rebound" effect.

My reflux has been like a roller coaster for years. I have periods of time when things flare bad and other times when I've been able to keep it under control well.

Closed Thread