It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
(male)

marram HB User
please help! begging for some answers

Hello, I am a 28 year old male, that up until this summer I was fairly healthy. In June i had 3 panic attacks in a week span in which the first one put me in the er due to being scared. I still have mild ones but tend to calm them down rather quickly. But since then i haven't felt like my old self. I've been sick, and just never feel progress. Heres a list of what I've been feeling; nausea, dizzy, heartburn, constant urge for bowel moment, shortness of breath, mild headache, constantly looking for an answer, and fatigue. I was prescribed prozac but stopped taking it after 12 days due to the dark place it put me mentally, and prilosec 2 times a day for stomach. As of the last couple weeks, I have been to the er twice. First time was complaining of heavy chest, flattery heart feeling, upset stomach, and the anxiety issues. They took 3 vials of blood, 2 chest x rays, ekg, and h.poli test (believe that's what it was called. All came back fine. Then i checked into another er 2 days after because my stomach was bloated, mild to moderate pain in upper and upper left abdomen, nausea, hearburn, lack of appetite, nagging cough for 3 weeks now which i believe is from a cold or something i had. They gave me a Reglan intravenous which made me want to jump out of my skin, and said i had gerd. I was prescribed reglan, bentyl, and protonix. I took them the next day, but then felt horrible, especially after reading the side effects. So i haven't taken them in 24 hours. I would like to try a natural method here but i don't know if gerd is even the right diagnosis. I believe j had a mild reaction with one of the drugs because my chest and arms are kind of tingling which comes and goes. I've dropped 6 pounds in a week with no end really. I have eaten bland food for past 2 days, and tonight being a decent meal which has made my stomach settlea bit. I don't know if its all in my head due to anxiety, but if someone has some opinions or guidelines, i would greatly appreciate it. Some additional information, i am hearing impaired from being born 7 weeks early. No other ailments, except for this stuff. I've also been under alt of stress the past year, but only stress i see now is constantly worrying about my health. I also was lifting for 6 months prior to all this taking, multi vitamins, weight gainer protein, creatine cycles, glutamine, and caffeine drinks. Haven't taken any of those since June except for the glutamine which i just started again today. Sorry for rambling just hoping for some answers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: please help! begging for some answers

Marram,

Your symptoms are typical of anxiety.

You didn't give the meds time to work. Meds like prozac and the PPI prilosec, may take weeks before they become effective and help with your symptoms.

Take if from an ancient person, you need to get your anxiety under control as it only get worse with age. You're very young and it's easier now than later to find lasting relief. Health phobias are awful. I know because I have one.

Meanwhile stay off caffeine (and decaf coffee), sugar, fats and acid producing fruits and veggies. Peruse the web for alkaline foods. This would help your stomach even if you don't have GERD.

Talk to your doctor and see if counseling would be appropriate for you. I think CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) would probably resolve your anxiety issue.

The best thing you have going for you are your age and all the negative results.

Hang in there and if you believe in God, pray, if you don't, pray anyway.

Blessings,
Annie

Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
(female)

cindyw75 HB User

It could be anxiety, but it could also be gastroparesis and GERD causing you to have anxiety attacks. My daughter suffers from gastroparesis. The gastroparesis sometimes causes her to have hypoglycemia, which causes anxiety. The GERD and gastroparesis also cause chest discomfort which also cause anxiety. I would recommend that you work with a good gastro and a good psychiatrist. The psychiatrist can teach you techniques to cope with the feelings of anxiety. And the gastro can help get your reflux under control.

I wish you the very best of luck. I know how hard this is, because I've seen my daughter struggle with these feelings.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
(female)

shiela11 HB User

Follow a bland diet for more that a few days. Try at least a month. As for panic attacks, rule out high blood pressure. I do not care to take tons of meds. I find most physicians are not particularlly medicine smart. Ask your pharmacist.

Closed Thread