It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

bellaacone HB User
chest pressure and feels like food stuck in throat.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the boards, and this is my first post. Here goes......the dr. says I have acid reflux, so he had me take pepcid. I've been taking it 3 times a day for 6 months and it isn't helping. He put a scope down my throat and said my esophagus was narrow at the top and bottom, so he stretched it during a procedure. It doesn't feel better at all. It seems like it's worse! He had me try protonics before pepcid, but it caused my heart to flutter and skip beats at night. Talk about anxiety! It just doesn't matter what I eat..i feel the chest pressure, burping, gas, like something is stuck. Has anyone had any of these symptoms and if so, what are you doing about it. I'm 60 years old, and this has been going on for a long time. I appreciate any feed back.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

teddybearhero HB User
Re: chest pressure and feels like food stuck in throat.

The problem does not sound like it is in the stomach but rather in the esophagus. You need to find a swallowing disorders clinic for evaluation. The medical centers in large cities often have them. They will do an esophageal manometry that measures muscle activity and acidity in the esophagus. Also a barium swallow to see what shape your esophagus is in.

The reason the endoscope found it difficult to move at the LES might be because the muscle was contracted and tight. It hurt like blazes when they pulled the scope out of my esophagus and it triggered really bad heartburn.

And the reason it feels like food is stuck in your throat might be because the muscles in your esophagus are not working properly and food is stuck. Do liquids sometimes go down partway and then come back up again? Do you find a frothy liquid coming up (that's saliva)? Is it worse with really cold liquids? Do you wake in the middle of the night coughing? Do you ever regurgitate? You might want to try at nighttime and see what happens.

The endoscope can't do any kind of therapeutic stretching of the sphincter at the end of the esophagus.

I'm 61 and was diagnosed with GERD after a normal upper endoscopy and barium swallow. Drugs didn't help. Five years later same tests were repeated and the endoscopy was normal again but the barium swallow showed a greatly enlarged damaged esophagus. I was diagnosed with achalasia and went to the University of Washington for my surgery (great swallowing clinic there too). Untreated achalasia eventually damages the esophagus so much it has to be removed so please follow up on this and don't let that happen to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
(female)

myzaqy HB User
Re: chest pressure and feels like food stuck in throat.

Hi I have been diagnosed with GERD last year. I will have this tightness feeling on my chest and throat. At first I thought it was my asthma but multiple visits to the hospital confirmed that it was not asthma. Neither was it the heart. Sometimes when my breathing got heavy and my chest uncomfortable, I got my panic and anxiety attacks!!Once it got so bad that I hyperventilated.

I still get the horrid sensation on my chest and throat from time to time.I will burp and burp every few seconds. I am still learning how to cope with this issue. I feel very lousy and down. GERD has changed my life!

Closed Thread