It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
(male)

bonesrob HB User
Reflux and shortness of breath

I have had reflux for about 6 years. It comes and goes with me, mostly occuring in the fall and winter. I was on Nexium once a day and a Zantac (150) at night. However I was able to ween myself off of them last year.

Well my new thing is this, for the past 2 years, in the fall I get the chest tightness. And the new thing is shortness of breath. I cant handle it anymore, its making me nuts. I just cant catch the top of my breath. It has been two weeks now. The only time I feel good is when I wake up in the morning before I stand up. Its the same symptoms I always get with GERD, but it just seems to be over the top this year.

I started taking a probiotic (along with my Vitamin and fish oil) and now the GI put me back on Nexium and on Bentyl. (I also have mild IBS) But I feel like nothing is helping. I am tired of constantly yawning and burping.

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this short breath feeling?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
(male)

Fundonofun HB User
Re: Reflux and shortness of breath

Your symptoms mirrors those that I had 6 yrs ago which was diagosed as Asthama complicated by Gerd. I'm convinced that the Asthama diagnosis was wrong as I do not respond to any of the medicine for this disease. Gerd on the other hand is caused by gases from the stomach which are normally restricted by a valve (sphincter) that has become ineffective over the years due to a number of causes. In your case, ( I'm not a doctor) the stomach gases have become mixed with the air you breath into your lungs hence the inability to breath, usually causes mucous in the esopheagus etc. and possibly Barretts Esophaegus. Medication never worked in my case consequently, I was referred to a Vascular Surgeon for an evaluation. A endoscopic tube was inserted into my esophaegus to allow the doctor a view of both the valve and the lining of the esophaegus. Unfortunately I didn't have a driver with me so it had to be done without any medication, thats another story. Anyway he diagonzed the Barrets and a dsyfunctional valve which lead him to recommend as procedure called, a Fundoplication. In this procedure the top of the stomach is wrapped around the esophagus to creat a restriction to stop the stomach gases. He did a tight wrap, which removes the ability to burp up gases. His rationale was that too many of the loose or partial wraps failed over time from his experiences. So in your case, the GERD can be halted with this procedure but it does create what most will say is an acceptable amount of bloating. Remember the valve that allows for burping is now dysfunctional which is okay as it never worked while I had the Gerd. Recommendations from the Surgeon on Bloating is to never skip a meal particularly mid day meals, if necessary he recommended you find a bar,nuts etc. to munch on to stimulate the movement of digested food which forces the gas into the intestine. It all sounds scary but this surgery is over a 100 years old and is very reliable under the guidance of a skilled surgeon. Hope this helps...many of us GERD sufferers can empathize with your condition...Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I have the same symptoms.
Shortness of breath, yawning and burping among other things.
An Endoscopy showed a Hiatal-Hernia. Have you been checked for this, also if it appears seasonally you could have some Asthma symptoms.
Solofelix.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
(male)

bonesrob HB User

I have been scoped 4 times over the last 6 years. I do have a slight Barrets esophagus, but it has not worsened in that time. I was doing so well last year that I was not taking anything for the GERD.

I did just start a new job, and I wonder if the stress isnt helping either. The odd part with mine is I only feel good right before I get out of bed (and I sleep very well) or when I am exercising.

My GI just prescribed me Bentyl, and for whatever reason it is helping. I just dont understand why this only happens in the fall/winter now. (The first few years it was constant)

Also, my GERD symptoms were always abnormal. Chest pressure, difficulty breathing with occasional burping with food coming up. I just stayed away from onions, OJ and chocolate and I was ok. I really didnt get the severe heartburn. And in the last few years the Nexium has been useless. I have been researching Probiotics and may take those too, I think some of the issue is a combo IBS GERD issue.

THis summer I would have the occasional food coming up burping attack with the bloated feeling and difficulty breathing, but it would usually pass in a few hours.

I can deal with pain, meds, anything. But I do not like this breathing restriction.

Thanks for the words and advice, very much needed!

Last edited by bonesrob; 10-05-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
(male)

jlhhon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesrob View Post
I have had reflux for about 6 years. It comes and goes with me, mostly occuring in the fall and winter. I was on Nexium once a day and a Zantac (150) at night. However I was able to ween myself off of them last year.

Well my new thing is this, for the past 2 years, in the fall I get the chest tightness. And the new thing is shortness of breath. I cant handle it anymore, its making me nuts. I just cant catch the top of my breath. It has been two weeks now. The only time I feel good is when I wake up in the morning before I stand up. Its the same symptoms I always get with GERD, but it just seems to be over the top this year.

I started taking a probiotic (along with my Vitamin and fish oil) and now the GI put me back on Nexium and on Bentyl. (I also have mild IBS) But I feel like nothing is helping. I am tired of constantly yawning and burping.

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of this short breath feeling?
I have had GERD for 15 years and it is not fun. I had the Fundoplication operation 11 years and was off of medication for 2 months. GERD came back. My Gastrologist also had the operation, they had to go back in and make some adjustments. He closed his practice for 4 months. He eventually had to give up his practice.

I control the GERD with Famotdine (pepcid). I continue to be short of breath. The nerves to my lungs have been damaged.

I'm not telling you not to have the operation, just do your homework, there is a lot of information out there.

My very best to you.

jlohhon

Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
(male)

lunarweblink HB Userlunarweblink HB User

bones i have the same thing but found out some interesting things from my gi

Last edited by lunarweblink; 10-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
(male)

Fundonofun HB User

Nexium is not much good if the normal stomach gases are escaping into the esophaegus. This med is intended to stop the stomach from producing gas to allow for healing.When the non-intrusive medical therapy such as nexium,pepcid etc., has failed, particularly with a hiatus hernia, surgery is highly recommended. A fundoplication is total (360º) wrap, but partial wraps known as Belsey fundoplication (270º wrap), Dor fundoplication (anterior 180-200º) or Toupet fundoplication (posterior 270º) are also alternative procedures with varying results. My surgery was a 360 tight wrap to ensure that the GERD didn't get a second chance as the surgeon didn't want the Barrets Esophaegus to become worse than it had. Some of the other procedures, such as the Belsey and Toupet allow you to burp up gases. In my case that is not possible hence it takes the other exit. For those who have the 360 full wrap he recommends that you should never miss a meal as that is what keep the peristolasis of the intestine functional moving the gases in the process. I tried nexium,pepcid and other similar meds but none worked as the sphincter in the top of the stomach was too damaged. I hope this helps,,but a good GI doctor is the place to go for medical advice for this disease.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
(male)

leopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB Userleopard777 HB User

I know if you don't take a good breakfast in the morning, you you go to work on an empty stomach, or nearly empty, then you will have acid reflux. after a few weeks.
The longer you don't take a serious breakfast in the morning, the more acid reflux you will have.
2eggs, one patatoes, one tomatoes.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

vdsuan HB User

I never associated acid reflux with shortness of breath but I have both. Constant burping, yawning, and sometimes gagging because I can't catch my breath. I also have a chronic cough which my doctor thought is asthma related or could be caused by the reflux. I'm taking Prilosec (doctor suggests take it for a month) and hoping it will help. This also just happened this early fall. Good luck to you.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

I have heard that the shortness of breath is caused by the acid aspirating in to the lungs.

Closed Thread