It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
(male)

blueguitar240 HB User
GERD- Left Sided upper abdominal pain

I had an upper endonoscopy and I was diagnosed with GERD but my only real symptom is abdominal fullness/bloating feeling and pain. Can GERD cause left sided pain (sometimes through the ribs) and a full bloated feeling like something is underneath my ribs. I thought it was only reflux? I have had all the tests cat scan, abdominal ultrasound, upper endo.... They did say in the upper endonoscopy that I had "Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema" which was biopsied and came back normal. Any help would be great

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: GERD- Left Sided upper abdominal pain

Gastric mucosal abnormality = gastritis, that is, irritation of the stomach lining. Some people have no symptoms from this, but some have pain around the bottom of the ribcage on the left side. I sure do!

The treatments for gastritis are pretty similar to those for GERD. Antacids or acid reducing medicines, avoid big meals, avoid acidic, spicy or fatty foods. Bland foods such as white rice or (if you aren't lactose intolerant) lowfat dairy products can help. So can coating medicines like Pepto-bismol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

blueguitar240 HB User

Thanks,

So even if the biopsy came back normal thats still gastritis? Because the phone girl from the doctors office said they found know gastritis in the biopsy, I dont know that she knew what she was talking about. I didnt know gastritis was detectable through biopsy alone I thought it was something the doctor saw because he said I had inflammation of the stomach lining when he did the endonoscopy.

Last edited by mod85; 10-23-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
(male)

blueguitar240 HB User

JaneWhite:

Thanks for your response. I have a question then because I havent been able to see my Doctor since I got the biopsy results on friday. The doctor told me I had inflammation of the stomach lining hence why he took the biopsy. But the desk girl at his office said the biopsy was fine and they did not detect gastritis in my biopsy? I thought that she was telling me wrong information because of the findings I said above "abnormal mucusol", and I only had GERD? I dont understand that one bit right after the endonoscopy he was telling me how there was inflammation of the stomach lining... I have a follow up with him. But I didnt know that gastritis was something you detect in a biopsy I thought it was recognized through veiwing the stomach. Correct me if I am wrong?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The biopsy might have been for H. Pylori infection. It's true, you can see the gastritis by looking at it.

Ask the doctor when next you go in.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
(male)

blueguitar240 HB User

Oh believe me thats on my to do list. I thought I had finally found the reason for this 3 month left sided pain that has pratically knocked me to my knees. And then this office desk person shatters that by undiagnosing me lol. I would be happy knowing its gastritis rather than some random pain in my abdomin and ribs.

The following user gives a hug of support to blueguitar240:
TexasnConfused (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
(female)

TexasnConfused HB User

I have that same feeling and I was diagnosed with hiatal hernia and reflux.
I wish you the best of luck. this is a ongoing thing I must control. Gaviscon is a life saver for me

Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
(male)

blueguitar240 HB User

ya apparently there was no hernia or im sure that would have been mentioned, what does gavison do?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
(male)

blueguitar240 HB User

well i have my follow up today in a couple hours i guess ill see whats up

Closed Thread