It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
(male)

lprisannoying HB User
Symptoms of LPR, 14 year old!

I had began feeling sick since June, 2011. I had gone to the doctors and they diagnosed me with Esophagitis and Gastritis. I have been taking PPI's, Omeprazole 20mg, once a day since then and they are about to run out. I strongly believe I have LPR. I have most of the symptoms, you name it. I have throat mucus, horrible breath in the morning and throughout the day, sometimes an acidic taste, lump in throat, throat clearing, coughing, swallowing. I have been wanting to go the doctors because I am sure I have it. I am however, very scared of taking a laryngoscopy or a endoscopy. Will I receive medicine for it at the doctors just with those symptoms? I've heard many doctors are unaware of LPR, and I really don't want to look like a young fool at the doctors. What medicine should I be prescribed for it? Thanks for anyone who reads or responds, I am in need of deep help.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
(male)

lprisannoying HB User
Re: Symptoms of LPR, 14 year old!

Also forgot to add, I wasn't able to burp before, and all of a sudden i'm a burping king.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
(male)

LPR50 HB User

You need to get an appointment with an E.N.T. who can perform the Laryngoscopy. They wil give you a medicine to help you to not feel the scope when they put it in your nose. The test takes a minute or less and they can tell you if you have signs of LPR. A Gastro doctor can't necessarily diagnose that and the endoscope can't really see the vocal fold or glottis that can become irritated with LPR. Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to LPR50 For This Useful Post:
lprisannoying (11-23-2011)
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
(male)

lprisannoying HB User

Thanks. I'll tell my parents about the E.N.T, do you have lpr? If so, what medicine do you take?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
(male)

Ovechkin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprisannoying View Post
I had began feeling sick since June, 2011. I had gone to the doctors and they diagnosed me with Esophagitis and Gastritis. I have been taking PPI's, Omeprazole 20mg, once a day since then and they are about to run out. I strongly believe I have LPR. I have most of the symptoms, you name it. I have throat mucus, horrible breath in the morning and throughout the day, sometimes an acidic taste, lump in throat, throat clearing, coughing, swallowing. I have been wanting to go the doctors because I am sure I have it. I am however, very scared of taking a laryngoscopy or a endoscopy. Will I receive medicine for it at the doctors just with those symptoms? I've heard many doctors are unaware of LPR, and I really don't want to look like a young fool at the doctors. What medicine should I be prescribed for it? Thanks for anyone who reads or responds, I am in need of deep help.
How did they diagnose you for Esophagitis and Gastritis? I don't know what other medicine you would be prescribed if you are already taking prescribed PPIs.

Like you said, a lot of doctors are not really aware of LPR. In fact, the last time I saw my doctor, I told him "I think I have LPR." And his response literally was: "What's that?". Maybe I'm just seeing the wrong doctor.

With that said, I think it is a good idea to see an ENT because they SHOULD know more about this.

I think the next step for you is to see an ENT, and ask about an endoscopy. Don't be scared about, because if you are so worried, they will put you out and you won't even remember it ever happening.

I'm in the same boat as you. My doctor nearly dismissed my idea of having acid reflux because I don't have heartburn. He obviously isn't aware that less than 50% of people with LPR experience heartburn.

I think we should both go see an ENT.

I'm just curious as to how you were diagnosed with esophagitis and gastritis without getting an endoscopy.

How else were you diagnosed?

I believe I have LPR, but I don't currently take any medicine.

Last edited by Ovechkin; 11-23-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
(male)

lprisannoying HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkin View Post
How did they diagnose you for Esophagitis and Gastritis? I don't know what other medicine you would be prescribed if you are already taking prescribed PPIs.

Like you said, a lot of doctors are not really aware of LPR. In fact, the last time I saw my doctor, I told him "I think I have LPR." And his response literally was: "What's that?". Maybe I'm just seeing the wrong doctor.

With that said, I think it is a good idea to see an ENT because they SHOULD know more about this.

I think the next step for you is to see an ENT, and ask about an endoscopy. Don't be scared about, because if you are so worried, they will put you out and you won't even remember it ever happening.

I'm in the same boat as you. My doctor nearly dismissed my idea of having acid reflux because I don't have heartburn. He obviously isn't aware that less than 50% of people with LPR experience heartburn.

I think we should both go see an ENT.

I'm just curious as to how you were diagnosed with esophagitis and gastritis without getting an endoscopy.

How else were you diagnosed?

I believe I have LPR, but I don't currently take any medicine.
I believe I have 5 capsules left before I'm done with the gastritis and esophagitis treatment. I had came into the doc with gas, a very low appetite, anything acidic had me on the verge of puking, besides the nausea. I did have the thick mucus and throat clearing at the time but I believed those were part of my allergies. I thought wrong because any carbonated beverage, chocolate, or mint has me with bloating and thick throat mucus, with the clearing and things. The doc wrote me off with gastritis and espohagitis because I had the symptoms for that. I believe I just had LPR along with it because the gastritis and esophagitis cleared up but the throat mucus, clearing, and everything else involved is still here. The bad breath can be embarrassing too. I think I've had this since younger age because I had terrible doctors younger and I had ear infections all the time when I lived up north, that is gone though.

Last edited by lprisannoying; 11-23-2011 at 05:29 PM. Reason: I forgot additional information

Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
(male)

LPR50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprisannoying View Post
Thanks. I'll tell my parents about the E.N.T, do you have lpr? If so, what medicine do you take?
You can read my story under LPR/GERD, WHO KNOWS. I do take Nexium but it really hasn't helped much. I had an endoscope, barium swallow, ultra sound and blood work all done by my gastroenterologist and internist. The ENT did the scope in my nose. The ENT diagnosed LPR from seeing my vocal chords being a little more red than normal. If I had to do this all over again, I would have gone to the ENT first.

Closed Thread