It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
(male)

MrMilo HB User
White tongue

Does anyone else have a persistent white tongue coating? I've had this since my LPR/acid reflux symptoms began.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User
Re: White tongue

Hi Milo, that is one of several things for me. I've been really noticing it though lately along with some irritation (what I think people mean when they say 'burning') and tongue dryness and dryness in airway... In the mirror I see it all the way back to the rear taste buds. For about the past week things are improving noticeably and my tongue is more moist with a more pleasing red tongue color.

I wish I had a great fix on exactly why. I've been eating all kinds of stuff I should not eat (whiskey, eggnog, pastries) and perhaps while there is a cost, it has changed the mucoid ecology of my mouth and pharynx for awhile.

I find that red licorice helps the tongue at least look better. Just in case you had entered a tongue competition last week and suddenly -- oh no! -- you are stricken with dreaded white tongue.

The things I find that help:

Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash
gargling with baking soda -- not too much though! It can cause its own burn
gargling with salt
gargling with plain water
ginger juice and honey
red apple
eating slippery things, pumpkin, zuchini, meats are not dry, fatty or in a stew is good...
water, water, water,
licorice

Things I find really complicate things and promote more of it

Antihistamines
If you vape nicotine, the prop glycol or veg glycerine will dry your mouth
apples (yes --some days they help, some days they seem to dry)
water (same weirdness. Some times I find my tongue is dryer after drinking lots water)

Everyone's mouth is a little different I suppose but it's be great to hear from others as to what promotes or what heals the white/dry tongue.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrienE For This Useful Post:
MrMilo (12-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
(male)

MrMilo HB User

Yeah, you know, I see that it is much worse at the back of my tongue. Very white and bumpy. I guess I consider it my 'best' LPR symptom, though, since it isn't painful, just disgusting. I normally brush my tongue morning and night now, but it always comes back quickly. I think it's a direct result of acid irritation. My tongue used to be pristine ... reflux made it hideous! haha.
Can I ask another question to anyone off this topic? Thanks.
Does anyone know if intense screaming can cause some kind of (vagus?) nerve damage? One night I was out at a bar with friends singing karaoke. Well, I had a few drinks, and someone selected a screaming rock song for me... and, true to the song at one point, I let out one crazy scream. Let me emphasize, this was no ordinary scream. One month or so later I had LPR. Is it possible that I sustained nerve damage... could the scream be responsible for my symptoms? I always blame that night.

Last edited by MrMilo; 12-14-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
(male)

Look up "Vagal Neuropathy" and "Post Viral Vagal Neuropathy." Some folks have experienced major changes focusing on as a neurological thing, using meds like Neurontin and Lyrica. There's another theory that says mild reflux washing up into the LES area and not usually farther, can trigger nerves bundled around the gullet and influence spasming farther up. So in this case some of us might be experiencing 'deferred pain' where there is not all that much acid or in any case damage in the larynx and pharynx, though it feels that way.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

sunny89 HB User

use good mouth wash for flossing your mouth at least twice a day that would keep your mouth bacteria free and avoid such problem.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
(male)

A Whooooooooooooooole other explanation for white tongue is yeast infection and too much sugar in diet.... which according to some can mean 'any.' My tongue was called a candida tongue this evening at a health food store... I got just a few things to try, did not spend a treasury to throw at it.. but if so, there is a rather draconian diet in store. (Very little starches, carbs, above all no sugar in anything)

Interestingly they also said, it is from acid, but acid as a product of the candida. The gal I spoke with also suggested that the reason I get such releif from a Vindaloo (love curry and there is no problem with LPR or reflux) is the candida doesn't know what to do with really spicy stuff. Not that I am encouraging you to eat a known trigger food for you, but if you don't know it to be, see how you fare with some very hot Indian food.... I find it also does a job on my tongue...

Closed Thread