It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Lpr... breathing problems... yawning.

I've had lpr for about 5 years, the past 2 years I was managing it well, out of the blue it's back full force. The worse part is I get out of breath just talking to people. I feel like I just want to stay in all day to avoid talking. I am also constantly burping. I am losing my mind from the breathlessness and tight throat. I feel like my throat is tight, like there is a noose around it. Anyone else have this feeling? Ive been taking Zantac 2 x a day for two years I am wondering if it stopped working. I have also been taking vicOdin for 3 mnths, 1 a day for slipped disc which I'm sure aggravates my stomach. I guess I'm just looking for some feedback, I feel like no one knows how I feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
(male)

Mr Normal Guy HB User
Re: Lpr....breathing problems...yawning.

To alex12:

I've had LPR for one year. I have had fairly severe breathing problems from day 1. I just found out ( 1 month ago) that I have a large sliding hiatal hernia. I think it's pretty common for large HHs to cause breathing trouble. There are message boards with people who have HH's who commonly report breathing trouble.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User
Re: Lpr.. breathing problems.. yawning.

In all likelihood, the "tight throat" you describe is because one or both of your crichopharyngeal muscles has tightened.

I think it is NOT because of any kind of reflux. The reason the muscle tightened is a mystery but anyhow, it happened. That muscle tightening causes the choking feeling and causes globus.

It does not have to do with your diet, probably, but stress does contribute to making it worse or better, probably.

It might help to remember, it's just a muscle causing that feeling, so it's basically harmless, though extremely annoying. Also, and I can't stress this enough, believing it is related to your diet might give you a sense of empowerment, but it's also a waste of time, imo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Seeking Sunrise For This Useful Post:
alex12 (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

Hi Alex12,

Firstly I want to tell you that I am dealing with a lot of similar sensations and issues as your write, and I hope you and all of us will feel better as soon as possible.

I have found good in diet modification, particularly lately in eating a lot less meat and going for light, easy to digest and that which is going to cause the least back up and sluggish movement throughout the tract. That's obviously so general and it if resonates with you then whatever works..... perhaps the H2 not working is not all that significant as you might have breakthrough STRESS, it reads to me.

I would take a look into what Seeking Sunrise is talking about, in addition to cricoid muscles, the nerve network running from brain stem wrapping around throat, esophagus and into the rest of our viscera... vagus ("wandering") nerve and very involved in stress response and our emotional lives. Digestion, heart rhythms, breathing, all fascinating.

Update to Seeking Sunrise: Doc says "no way!" when I brought up Lyrica and Neurontin. I will have to find some advocacy elsewhere for this experiement with the medication or look to other ways to address...

The Following User Says Thank You to BrienE For This Useful Post:
alex12 (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know I have to tell you, this is all making sense...lately I have also been having some little heart palpatations. Today I have also been having some nausea and vertigo. This just has been a terrible month. After eating a bunch of fatty foods over the holidays and also drinking liquor, which I usually stay away from, I am out of it today. I feel like I got beat up. My body just cannot handle any sort of change to diet.
I do have some herniated discs in my neck as well that press on some nerves, this requires an occasional painkiller in order to get out of bed. I wonder if that has an effect on the LPR and tight throat as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to alex12:
BrienE (12-26-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

I've had heart palps too.... would not be surprised if depending on one's expectations and background stress things will go either way. For instance my Xmas eve was spent staying up till 4:00 AM, drinking scotch eating tiramisu and being otherwise naughty and non-compliant.

Not only didn't have the first problem yesterday, I enjoyed a marked sense of relief from all the symptoms.... I needed time away from all that emotionally draining vigilance....

Today is not a continuation of same, unfortunately. I find myself frequently thrown off by a sleep issue which may or may not be related to throat and digestion. But this does support the same model, the same suggestion! (sigh) in that while agitated with the sapped energy levels and other aspects of sleep issue, sho 'nuff my throat is affected after eating and likes to spasm.

Well anyway good night and as always feel better will ya! Thanks for good wishes too.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today is a bad day...I feel like I'm being strangled and the air just can't get through. It's such a bad feeling...I'm useless today. I also have a sinus infection which I believe strongly effects by lpr. I am miserable.... I currently take Zantac am wondering if hex um would be better...any thoughts?

Closed Thread