It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
(female)

eew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB User
Re: Vitamin D and LPR (plus other things)

Brien I forgot to mention that sunning ourselves must not be done in a window. It has to be direct sun on your skin...

Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

Oh... but it felt so nice... what's the harm!?

Good point. I think you saying, as I think I have read, that conversion from sunlight will not take place through window glass.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Hi I'm home hehehehe

Been away overnight at my grandson's 5th birthday - a big occasion in a little chap's
life.

Brien, re the honey - it is also very expensive here. You need a lot of bees to make even a small amount of honey, so I guess that's why. It's also the active honey that costs the most, but then that's the real good healing stuff. You can buy the basic manuka honey more reasonably, which is what I use to drink with apple cider vinegar or in cooking. That cost me just under US$12.00 for 1 kg = 2.2lbs.
The Active one has to have a UMF (Uniqe Manuka Factor) of at least 5+. The one I am currently using is +10 and cost me US$15.77 for 500 grams. YOu didn't say what size jar was US$35.00. Makes a change for kiwis to have something on hand at a better price!

You can also buy it in a tube form for things like ulcers and such, and it is quite a miraculous healer, which is why I thought it was worth a try. If you took it 3 times a day, you'd get a month out of a 500g jar, and when I thought of all the things I've spent money on to try and get it sorted, it seemed relatively cheap to me. I do feel it's helping as my throat isn't feeling as irritated as it was.

Today's not a good day, as I've been away so talking a bit catching up with people, eating the wrong foods and so on. Throat feels but scratchy bit I'm sure it'll settle back down in a few days.

Vit D results due today or tomorrow. I've been trying to go to bed earlier with some success, but had some terrible sleeps, so I'm really hoping if my Vit D is low that a supplement will help me to get better sleeps.

If the ruddy sun would come out, I'd sit in it. This must be one of the worst summers on record for rain! and I'm soooooo over it.

Jude

Last edited by JudeNZ; 01-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #19
(male)

Hiya Jude, hoping the sun comes out for ya! Thanks for heads up on Manuka. That's about the equivalent amount here for more than twice the price, so yer, I'm glad for you Kiwis! I didn't see a tube though.. that might be worth it for an experiment.

I can relate as far as ups and downs of not only throat stuff but I guess anything.... my throat is behaving itself reasonably, if not giving me (yet) indications that it will be absolutely beautiful and good as new in x weeks, and ready for the most non-compliant abusive stuff I can throw at it.

I'm pretty much resigned to my semi-paleo sorta diet with my cheats mainly a chia seed (gluten free) muffin or two, pears, and the odd sneak of licorice... It's not eating (as is advertised here in the US for TV commercials for PPI drugs) "the food I love" but then, a lot of the celebrated no-no food is really not that apealing anyway, so it's not THAT bad!

No, mainly sleep is the deal here, and energy. So I can certainly empathise. Check back with us on that D for sure, I am curious and I will let you know of any change for me. One thing that *correlates* (not implying cause-effect) is three nights last week were unusually quiet and slept longer, dreamt, and woke with a little more 'wasted' or 'drunk' feeling, which I have come to recognize over the years as a sign or stage in overcoming insomnia and sleep disturbance.

Quite remarkable if a few days into a megadose of D has ANYTHING to do with that. On the other hand, I'll not argue with where it came from.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
(male)

Happy Birthday to the little chap

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
(male)

Recommend article, New York Times, the title is The Other Brain Also Deals With Many Woes. It is very relevant and possibly VERY helpful to think of the enteric system as a whole little nervous system. I think partly because framing things this way can be empowering to people, encouraging confidence in how we can relax and take care of ourselves. Fascinating and insightful stuff.....

Last edited by moderator2; 01-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #22
(female)

it is interesting and makes a lot of sense to me. But there are others who say they don't have stresses in their life, they're always happy and don't feel it impacts on their reflux issues.

Re the honey and costs - as a suggestion try juicing a carrot and apple each morning and don't eat anything for half an hour. Carrot juice is also a healer and you might find that helps. Or maybe even the honey once a day would help, and if you did twice a day, 500grams should last for 7 - 8 weeks, so more cost effective. Maybe the carrot juice for the morning and honey for dinner and before going to bed. I know , I know Brien, I'm full of brilliant ideas.

Jude

Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
(female)

Vit D results in

Date collected: 05.01.12
Time collected: 11:50
Plasma 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D 65 nmol/L (50 - 150)
50 - 150 nmol/L Optimal target range for bone health.
---------------------------------------------------------
Loks like mine are 65 so within the acceptable range - they say 50 -150 - but everything I've read says 60 - 80 so mine are only just inside that 60 level - and I would suspect possibly drop below over winter - also I have been taking fish oil and Vit D for the last few months.

I'm kind of disappointed. But at elst it isn't something else I need to work on.

anyway that's probably not good news for you EEW - knew I'd be the exception to the rule if there was one lol.

Jude

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #24
(male)

Hmmmm the Kiwis may scale it differently. Like in the movie "Spinal Tap" where Nigel's amp went to eleven... your 25 hydroxy goes to 150. You guys are special. The scale I am familiar with goes to 100, with the acceptable range from 30 up, and according to the good doctor in Tyler Texas, between 60 and 80 is the ideal range. You might write her! She seems very friendly, Eew did. I got like three replies from my questions. You can ask her what the 50 --100 scaling system means to her and her thoughts on being in the optimum according to that. Stasha Gominak in Tyler TX

I could take this is a couple directions were I you. One, the doc and result says you are 'ok' because you fall between 50 and 150 and you let it go. But there is also the 'subclinical' thought process.... yes, you are 'ok' but really only a little over the line and it could make a difference.... food for thought...

Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #25
(female)

Hi Brien,

Yes I'll head back to the Dr and take it from there - she's the expert so she can tell me what she thinks. I feel I am okay, but only just okay.

Jude

Last edited by JudeNZ; 01-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to JudeNZ:
eew (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
(female)

Jude, your score is great! Dr G's opinion is that is should be 65. Good you are taking your D3. How long have you been taking it? Are you starting your sleep at night between 9-10 pm? Are you on a good B Complex vitamin? Are you sitting in the sun 20 minutes every day? Just curious. Approximately when did you start D3? One of my family members had their D tested and got the score today and called me, he had a D score of 12. His Dr is putting him on D3 right away. He has not been able to sleep for years without taking sleeping pills. Dr. G's opinon is that Vit D helps you get deep restorative "paralizing" sleep. The sleep is what creates the healing processes in our body. What are your thoughts? Do you feel like your better since you started Vit D? Or the same. I'm very interested in knowing if I'm the only one that got better with LPR and taking Vit D3. This last week I've added the direct sun on my skin for 20 mintues a day, go to bed between 9-10 p.m. and I'm taking a good B complex vitamin after I read Dr. G's web site. I feel that I have a noticeable improvement in the last week doing these additional things in addition to vit D drops. I told my family member it will take 3-5 months to notice a difference. Low D and High D cause the same problems in the body. The body likes hormone D best at the score of 65 (60-80 range). Lets keep our experiment going and chronicle our collective progress. Thank you for doing this with me.

Last edited by eew; 01-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #27
(female)

...we are all on at the same time!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eew View Post
...we are all on at the same time!!!
I think I am perpetually on. Logged in, that is. Good evening Eew!

The following user gives a hug of support to BrienE:
eew (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrienE View Post
I think I am perpetually on. Logged in, that is. Good evening Eew!
How are you feeling right now Brien? Did you get your sun today? Getting to bed earlier? I'm sure keeping my hopes up that other people with LPR (and other illness) can get relief from Vit D3 drops, sleep and direct sun. Good idea from what Dr. G discusses that we test our B12 levels too...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
(female)

Hi eew, been taking the VIt d with the fish oil for a few months, but stopped for a while as I wondered if the fish oil was giving me relfux.

My sleeps are terrible, and I've been trying to make sure I am in bed earlier, between 9.30 and 10 at the latest. Sorry my reflux has been the worst since the Vit D, but it is only within the fish oil, not a stand alone supplement.
No I don't take Vit B, When I had my blood test done I saw Vit B on there and thought i should maybe get that checked as well.

Happy to do this with you, just sorry it doesn't seem to be my problem. But then my lack of decent sleep could be my problem??? Just thought that, as I never sleep all night. Maybe I should get something herbal to help me get some deeper sleep. Interesting thought.

Jude

Closed Thread