It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #31
(female)

eew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB Usereew HB User
Re: Vitamin D and LPR (plus other things)

Jude...yes! that could exactly be the problem according to the opinion of Dr. G. Her opinion is that Vit D helps us get into the deep restorative "paralizing" sleep. But its the deep sleep that helps us heal our bodies each night. Without deep "paralizing" sleep Vit D doesn't work.

I knew Vit D helped but I was having trouble finding the next dot to make sense of it all. As soon as I starting taking Vid D I starting sleeping all night instead of waking up and sometimes just laying there awake hours at a time. Specifically I had a particular habit of staying up late for decades. Over time this may have slowly deteriorated my health. On top of that I avoided the sun for 40 years. A real receipe for disasterous health problems. My esphogeal sphincters just went "limp".

I've just started taking a real good Vit B complex. How much D3 do you take a day? If your already up to the range I wonder if you should be cutting back to a maintenance level...like maybe around 2,000 IU of D3 a day...what do you think? I do think if your sleep is still not good that is the problem. Would you consider writing Dr. G and asking her? There may be something we are missing with your situation.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-20-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #32
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

Today was overcast -- there are a few odd overcast days when it's an 'arty' vibe for me, good for hot coffee, classical station, getting some things done around the house-- very calming. However these days I need that blue sky and sun, you know it.

I got a message to my doc here about getting a B12 test, I think I'm not gonna hear back. I think it's a good idea though... As far as sleep goes, I have much work to do now in terms of making my day environment lighter so my brain knows it's day, and a lot of other things, needing to snap out of this... Can't keep getting such fragmented sleep.

Yeah, Jude I know what you mean, it's chicken/egg perpetual loop of causes when you look at sleep as causative and a casualty of other things. I am very hopeful for the D hormone to do something for me, as I was so deficient, but it might take awhile.

Eew, there have been a few nights since starting the repletion that my need to sleep has been heavier, I've been more relaxed, maybe more of a wasted feeling the next day (good change) however there are mornings that revert back to waking up and knowing I was in some stage of sleep for x hours and my brain didn't get a reboot. Steps forward and back... it needs to be brought up no matter what though! (The D)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
(female)

...also Brien, I think you also have sleep apnea too, correct? I also have that. So that also contributes to not allowing us to sleep deep. We might think we are sleeping deep but it is possible we aren't there yet.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-20-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #34
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

I'd have to look at the Vit D level on the bottle, but not a lot i should think.

It just suddenly occured to me could lack of sleep play a part in this. That is something anyone can suffer from, babies, children, teenagers and adults.

Time for bed

Jude

Last edited by Administrator; 12-20-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #35
(female)

Jude: like Brien mentioned, do you think that there is a chance that your scoring system on Vit D (hormone) is different than the US? Just a thought. When you mentioned your score the range was different than our test here. Your test went up to 150. Ours goes to 100. Just wondering about this...what dosage for each pill does your Vit D bottle say?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #36
(female)

Hi Jude, your test range looks different than ours. How do we find out if your country's measurement is the same as the USA? Do you think that you could go ask a pharmacist if there are different types of D level ranges depending on the country your in? Let us know Jude. Curious about this. Does your score of 60 mean that your at a good level or on the low side in your country's Vit D level range? We have to find this out. If possible try to take a B12 level lab work. I agree with you, I think your not sleeping is the key reason your not feeling better. That is the mystery in your case. Are you able to ask if you can take a sleep apnea test?

Last edited by Administrator; 12-20-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
(female)

When I spoke to the dr last week she told me between 60 and 80 was the accepted level. So looks like I am just on the good side. Better than the bad side though.

Is interesting about sleep, as they said a symptom of LPR is bad sleep patterns. Makes you wonder if its the other way around, and is LPR caused in some part by bad sleep.

Jude

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #38
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeNZ View Post
Is interesting about sleep, as they said a symptom of LPR is bad sleep patterns. Makes you wonder if its the other way around, and is LPR caused in some part by bad sleep. Jude
Do you snore? I wonder how many LPR people snore. Just sent off for a cheap appliance to advance my lower jaw forward at night... my brother and I have been talking about things that don't make sense with my sleep study, and that 'apneic' arousal are more likely caused by waking to my own snoring for years! There is some speculation around that reflux is exacerbated by snoring as in a sunctioning effect, but even without that, you think all the tissues in back of throat could be sensitized and contribute to spasming and wonky nerve messaging down the gullet. 55 dollars is not a lot to find out if there is a difference.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #39
(female)

Hi Brien and Jude: I'm heading to bed...have to get there before 10 pm! Just wanted to let you know Brien that I tried quite a few of those snoring devices that move you jaw forward. In my experience they don't work. I even tried the material that wraps around the head to hold the jaw...didn't work for me. I tried the Aveo TSD, holds the tongue, and when I tested on it twice, at the sleep clinic, I have no sleep apnea. Most people have the tongue fall back into the throat and the Aveo TSD really nips that problem. The nurses were quite impressed by the its simplicity and low cost. They ordered it for themselves and their spouse. Alot of people have sleep apnea problems.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #40
(male)

Sweet dreams, eew. The Aveo is 180, the other 50 bucks, big part of my decision.... Can I borrow your Aveo to test it? (joke). I thought the idea behind it was intriguing and maybe that's the next experiment... for now we'll have to see what the boil and bite thing does!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #41
(female)

hello folks,

Last day of holidays so back to work tomorrow ugh The people are lovely and the job is interesting but high energy. It's also tutoring and i worry how my throat will cope.

My throat is actually feeling a lot better, just occasional moments of soreness. But my soft palate still feels irritated most of the time. That awful bile/acid taste is hardly there. My mouth and throat does get very dry at times which is yuk. I think the honey is helping my throat.

Rang the dr today to talk about referral for the endoscopy but she's away till 1st Feb, so I'll ring back and get an appt then.

Jude

Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
(male)

Jude: hope your week surprises you for the good, and throat holds steady.

My (maybe or maybe not relevant) news: Visited a friend yesterday who operates a local music store, I was seeking help with my home made didgeridoo -- PVC about 53 inches long (is now) and a fitting, about a 4 dollar investment total. I had kept this thing around for a few months. After very quickly putting it together, I found the embouchure difficult and ran out of breath too easily.

Turns out it was cut way too long to play properly, so I trimmed it. I tried last night and wow! Very helpful, lots of wind and I even got some beginnings of circular breathing going. Felt very calming and gave me sense of achievement.

Why do I bring up didgeridoo -- because there are studies showing improvement in mild to moderate apnea, and months back I thought I would try it. So now I can -- but also I was thinking, the mechanism for improvement is based on toning up all the areas that supposedly collapse for apneics, pharyngeal tissues and maybe some in the back of mouth.

Anyway, this morning feels great for throat. Maybe that 'buzzing' made for a nice massage. Could possibly have a therapeutic effect for LPR discomfort too? Now that I have correct length of tubing I am finding creating the sound is pretty easy.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
(female)

so now you'll be going into a sideline business of didgeeredoo hire for LPR sufferers hehehehe

Question is how else can you get similar resutls without a didgereedoo? Thoughts?

Whole chest diaphragmatic breathing?

I'm hoping my week goes well - no seminars this week just catch up so next will is the real beginning for me.

Hugs
Jude

Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
(male)

So you'll have an easier week to get up to speed for the harder stuff, sounds good. You are probably a lot better at managing than I am... I don't have a 'work schedule' and have to sort of create one which is very hard!

Well, Jude, that is a good, no a great, GREAT idea. With my magical LPR erasing didgeridoo powers I will be in demand, booked years in advance for exotic places, healing the rich and famous by their sunny swimming pools. These folks will be so grateful they will underwrite great gatherings for the general public in stadiums around the world, I will be stationed playing my PVC didgeridoo while people shuffle past.

I don't understand much yet about the effect of didgeridoo on the throat, pallete and pharynx, trying to observe though as I experiment. I'm getting better though, getting a feel for how to make a seamless sniff of air happen while I get rid of air from my cheek, I guess that is circular breath. It will take practice to go for long periods (half a minute, my limit so far)

But, guessing... the vibratory effects go to these areas, the throat and mouth are throbbing a good bit while playing, and I guess toughening up a little, not so saggy. Not sure about the effects on LPR throat symptoms, but maybe it could be a bit of local massage to the areas involved.

Other than holding a vibrating drywall sander on one's neck, I don't know how one would recreate this... hmm another entrepreneural challenge there. Actually they make TENS units for outside places on the body. It sounds like a very dangerous thing to goof around with, but what about mild electric current driven contractions of throat muscles, a la TENS. We just have to figure a way to get little probes down our throats, no problem, eh?

I'm a fan of big deep breaths too!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
(female)

perhaps a small hand held massager not to be confused with messenger, on the throat. Will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Then I'll have to head across the ditch and pick up my very own didgredoo.

Smiling at the article in the news - Musician finds cure for silent reflux. Shoppers taken to hospital after rush on stores selling didgredoos.

Deep breathing is marvellous - that is doing it the proper way using the whole chest/disphragm area.

Back to the didgreedoo with you.

Jude

Closed Thread