It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Pain above Adam's Apple

When I tilt my head back and put pressure with my finger slightly above my Adam's apple it hurts (not a lot but a tender pain). I can also feel soreness when I open my mouth wide.

I went to one ENT three times and he did an indirect scope each time and said everything was normal. I had a barium swallow done and it showed a small hiatal hernia so he suspected LRP. Six months on Prevacid and Nexium did nothing. I had a CT of my sinuses done because I have PND and it was normal. I went to a second ENT and he did a direct scope (up the nose and down the throat) and he said everything looked normal. All of my blood work was normal.

But I know something is wrong and has been for a year now. I occasionally cough up a small amount of blood. I think it is coming from my sinuses (I live in a cold dry climate).

I'm not overly worried given all the normal tests but it does annoy me and I'd like to know how to resolve it.

Anyone have any ideas?

 
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 9,381
Blog Entries: 32
janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Try keeping your sinuses moist. Those spray bottles of saline can help. There's also a gel moisturizer called Ayr.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Try keeping your sinuses moist. Those spray bottles of saline can help. There's also a gel moisturizer called Ayr.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried that. I've tried everything you can imagine. Nothing seems to make it better. The neti pot offers some relief but the pain around my Adam's apple never seems to go away. I just have no idea what it could be. My ENT suggested it might be sore muscles but I doubt that would last 8 months.

 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 9,381
Blog Entries: 32
janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

I've had sore neck muscles for 13 years, so it is possible. You might want to consider your posture, and maybe do some gentle stretching.

 
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I've had sore neck muscles for 13 years, so it is possible. You might want to consider your posture, and maybe do some gentle stretching.
I've done lots of stretching. I do have poor posture though so it could very well be an aggravating factor. Thanks for the advice.

 
Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: indianapolis,In Usa
Posts: 6
gud2her HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

I did not read your first post.I too had this nagging problem.I also got strangled a lot on liquids.I sought the help of my GP an Ent aGastro Dr and another gp the last Gp told me to see a shrink "it is just GERD" I had given up .My sister talked me into seeing her GP .I reluntently went .He did a test no other Dr had done .He wrapped his hands aroubd my throat around my neck from behind me and ask me to swallow .he then replied" how long have you hand that nodule on your thyroid".I then found my self in surgery having my thyroid removed and my pain and all other issues were cored .also a low tsh or slow thyroid can cause the same symptioms hope thids helps .Larry

 
Old 01-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by gud2her View Post
I did not read your first post.I too had this nagging problem.I also got strangled a lot on liquids.I sought the help of my GP an Ent aGastro Dr and another gp the last Gp told me to see a shrink "it is just GERD" I had given up .My sister talked me into seeing her GP .I reluntently went .He did a test no other Dr had done .He wrapped his hands aroubd my throat around my neck from behind me and ask me to swallow .he then replied" how long have you hand that nodule on your thyroid".I then found my self in surgery having my thyroid removed and my pain and all other issues were cored .also a low tsh or slow thyroid can cause the same symptioms hope thids helps .Larry
Yikes. My blood work for thyroid was normal. The various people I've seen have felt around my neck for lumps but didn't do it exactly as you described. I'm guessing you got lucky finding a doctor who knew what they were doing. I'll ask my doctor to try that next time I'm in. Thanks!

 
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Irvine, ca
Posts: 2
Ehong33234 HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Hi ferrethouse. Did you ever get a diagnosis or treatment for your issue? I've got the same exact symptoms you've described and was curious if you had any updates. Thank you!

 
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehong33234 View Post
Hi ferrethouse. Did you ever get a diagnosis or treatment for your issue? I've got the same exact symptoms you've described and was curious if you had any updates. Thank you!
Nope. 4 trips to ENTs, a barium swallow, CT scan of sinuses and only some minor evidence of reflux. My problem seems to be worse when I don't drink enough liquid. My theory is that thick phlegm gets stuck in my throat and causes infection/irritation which is why there is some pain there. I've decided to live with it for now. I try to drink lots of water. Good luck with yours.

 
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Irvine, ca
Posts: 2
Ehong33234 HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrethouse View Post
Nope. 4 trips to ENTs, a barium swallow, CT scan of sinuses and only some minor evidence of reflux. My problem seems to be worse when I don't drink enough liquid. My theory is that thick phlegm gets stuck in my throat and causes infection/irritation which is why there is some pain there. I've decided to live with it for now. I try to drink lots of water. Good luck with yours.
I have a trip to the ENT this week so I will write a follow-up on here. Aside from a slight pain when you tilt your head back all the way, I get it when I tilt my head all the way down so my chin is about to touch my collarbone, as well as when I open my mouth fully. I can also press down on that location to get a slight pain sensation but other than that, I can eat and drink without any problems. Is this the same for you?

I'm curious to see if we share any similar patterns as to the cause of this. Here are some things I think might be affecting my throat issue:

- Grinding teeth when sleeping (I have a slight underbite)
- Having a beer about once a week
- Indigestion
- Drink Coffee daily
- Recently had a chipped tooth
- Had a Melatonin (sleeping aid) get lodged in my throat and the powder capsule came apart causing major pain (3-4 months ago)


I'll post more when I can think of some others.

Last edited by Ehong33234; 03-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.

 
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehong33234 View Post
I have a trip to the ENT this week so I will write a follow-up on here. Aside from a slight pain when you tilt your head back all the way, I get it when I tilt my head all the way down so my chin is about to touch my collarbone, as well as when I open my mouth fully. I can also press down on that location to get a slight pain sensation but other than that, I can eat and drink without any problems. Is this the same for you?
Not so much when I put my head down but yes for tipping it back and applying pressure with my finger.

Quote:
- Grinding teeth when sleeping (I have a slight underbite)
- Having a beer about once a week
- Indigestion
- Drink Coffee daily
- Recently had a chipped tooth
- Had a Melatonin (sleeping aid) get lodged in my throat and the powder capsule came apart causing major pain (3-4 months ago)
Yes to grinding teeth. I have one drink most nights. I do get heartburn fairly regularly (I take a TUMS right away). I used to drink coffee daily but gave it up (now I have hot chocolate).

I also get food stuck in my throat (dry foods like bread and turkey) if I don't chew it enough or have enough liquids.

I live in a cold dry climate and I think that contributes to the problem.

I look forward to hearing what your doctor has to say.

Last edited by ferrethouse; 03-19-2012 at 08:12 PM.

 
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: melbourne ,florida,USA
Posts: 2
angelog HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

This post is8 months old, I have the same syptoms with soreness when I swallow. I can prevent the soreness if i pinch the area above the adams apple when I swallow. I have been to an ent and had the scope through the nasal passage and took antibiotics for ten days with no relief. Have you found any results in the last 8 months .
today is 6/22/2012

 
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: melbourne ,florida,USA
Posts: 2
angelog HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

I know your post was in March, but I just saw it today. I have the same syptoms have you found out anything new. I have been to my primary and my ENT and my dentist. All with no real answer and the problemis still there. Just finished 10 days of antibiotics with no results.

 
Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 26
ferrethouse HB User
Re: Pain above Adam's Apple

I have no news to report. My pain is largely gone. I still have what I can only describe as "weirdness" in my throat but have decided it is just something I will live with. I do believe the pain is correlated with acid reflux and either directly or indirectly with stress. I don't take prescription meds for it but I do take a Tums or two at the first hint of it. I also try to limit my alcohol intake (especially red wine). Bottom line is that is you have what I describe then get an ENT to do a scope (all the way down not just looking into your mouth). It is most likely nothing but until you get that done you will have a tough time not worrying.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy selliot Acid Reflux / GERD 8 08-08-2007 07:07 AM
IF you have problems with Acid Reflux take Apple CIder VInager with Mother Riquelmy26 Acid Reflux / GERD 13 02-14-2007 08:50 PM
Bragg Organic apple cider Vinegar? Woodruff Acid Reflux / GERD 12 01-28-2007 10:58 AM
Unusual Throat Pain/Spasms... MysteryWhiteBoy Acid Reflux / GERD 21 12-14-2006 12:27 PM
Breathing, nausea, pain and worried Bilbobeth Acid Reflux / GERD 23 04-22-2006 03:21 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Aciphex
Nexium
Omeprazole
Pepcid
Prevacid
  Prilosec
Protonix
Ranitidine
Reglan
Zantac




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



janewhite1 (107), solofelix (95), MountainReader (72), kacyc (58), rosebloom (34), Johnah (20), eew (17), Seeking Sunrise (16), JanaJ (16), Stretch1one (15)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!