It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
(male)

scot724 HB User
Getting off PPI meds would like advice

my history is a long story ill try to keep it as basic as possible

im 25 years old

in 2007 i had a bad reaction to a medicine that caused me anxiety so much that i stopped eating i lost 45 lbs in 2 months the drastic change in diet caused my stomach lining to get inflamed and was diagnosed with gastritis i had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the time thats all it showed

i was prescribed nexium 40mg once a day i was still going through the anxiety and wasnt eating much so it got worse so i was then upped to 40mg twice a day

that didnt last long cause i just stopped it cause it wasnt making a difference so i went back to the once a day and thats how it was for 3-4 years

so i was on the nexium all that time to make sure my stomach didnt get more inflamed then around april of 09 i all the sudden started feeling this burning in my stomach constantly and also had burning diaherra at times

so i went back to the gi and was diagnosed with bile reflux with no cause known i was prescribed carafate pills..over the the next few months i also tried different ppis with no change carafate helped a little but not much mostly helped the bathroom problems

during this time i saw 3 different gi's all say bile reflux gastritis and none have a cause for me had like 4 endoscopys and one bravo capsule done..only difference is one dr found a small hiatal hernia

so i continued on in pain everyday and occasionally with really bad flare ups of painful bowel movements alternating loose and constipation burning and bloating

<removed>

drs didnt really listen eventually i got a dr to prescribe me a lower dose of nexium so ive been on 20mg a day since then and i had no worsening in my symptoms and no improvement either

during all of this i tried several natural options such as dgl,fennel seed,digestive enzymes all helped very little

so during all of this i kept wanting to get off of it completely but i been scared for obvious reasons one being the rebound affect and the other being what if this isnt causing my problems so i have to face whats going on or not going on which worries me

im finally at the point where ive had enough and im attempting to do this..well due to insurance i am now on prilosec delayed release capsules 20mg once a day so im finally going to try to get off this stuff and see what happens

so heres my plan today was my first day not taking it for a week im going to go every other day without it on the days that im not taking it i am take zantac 150 twice a day

after a week i guess i will just stop it completely and continue with zantac everyday for maybe another week then maybe reduce that down for one more week then have nothing

during all of this weaning off i have several natural products i am taking2 mastic gum pills in the morning and 2 at night i am still using my dgl and will use digestive enzymes as well

i am going to take a probitoic 3-4 times a day and drink aloe vera juice 2oz 2 times a day and during this i will continue the carafate for now and ive tried fiber supplements and will use that if i i feel i need it

sorry for the long post hopefulyl people read it..and if you can give me some advice based off what i have planned that would be great

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

Feisty1 HB User
Re: Getting off PPI meds would like advice

Well I have been reading your issues. I think I may be able to help. Go back to your GI and ask him if a TIF procedure would help you. I had Acid reflux. My symptoms were burning in the throat, hoarse voice, teeth hurt during the acid attacks. I felt like I was having a heart attack a few times. I took PPI's none worked. I had barrium swallow test which showed I had reflux in the lying down position. I also had a endoscopy which showed I had a small hiatal hernia. If, you google TIF Procedure you will see what it is all about.

I had a TIF on Dec 29 and I am on no PPI"s.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty1 View Post
Well I have been reading your issues. I think I may be able to help. Go back to your GI and ask him if a TIF procedure would help you. I had Acid reflux. My symptoms were burning in the throat, hoarse voice, teeth hurt during the acid attacks. I felt like I was having a heart attack a few times. I took PPI's none worked. I had barrium swallow test which showed I had reflux in the lying down position. I also had a endoscopy which showed I had a small hiatal hernia. If, you google TIF Procedure you will see what it is all about.

I had a TIF on Dec 29 and I am on no PPI"s.
the issue is i was never really diagnosed with acid reflux every test ive had in the last 2 years shows bile reflux which is very different

i was put on ppis to begin with once again not for reflux but because of gastritis that was caused by a change in eating habits so i was on the ppi to just protect my stomach from on going problems

Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

Speaking from experience I read your description of all that going through your thinking, your regimen of pills and potions, observations, expectations and so on and it reminds me of what I go through when I am trying to solve my problems BUT create some more problems in doing so --

You do realize there is an emotional component to all of this whereby your stomach, gut, swallowing, etc are affected by the mind's reinforcement of the message, "we have a problem, oh no!" So that at least, you have another nagging component of worry, but more than that, stress responses that are then adopted by your systems -- all very reversable.

I am not in a place to comment much on your medical situation. You might have really needed those PPIs... You might well benefit from letting your natural HCL do its job, on the other hand. I believe in that and have benefitted from no longer taking Nexium. I also read some things concerning gut and lower GI, that make me wonder about possible allergic responses to grains or glutens... I am finding for now I am far better off eating alkaline mainly, and avoiding wheat as far as bloating, regularity, and cutting way down on gas.... etc.....

But mainly, I can read the stress and obsession... that's where I want to suggest that between you and either your trad. doctor or a trusted naturopath who is not too far out, has a good pragmatic sense of digestion and holistic outlook................ you make sure you are on the right path and then do what you MINIMALLY need to do, don't expect changes by tomorrow night or even two weeks from today. Make sure you are pared down to the essential supps you really need for your goals, and don't be gobblin' pills all day long, remember it can be a ritual to attempt calming anxiety and worry over health! And that's a trap, remember to sidestep.. Relax today, take care. -- Brien

Old 01-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

The Other Brain Also Deals With Many Woes is a very good NYT article about the second brain... it isn't that there is no reason to manage diet, supps, and so on... but you might additionally do other things, it shifts perspective... (you hearing to me down there????) :P

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Closed Thread