It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

susi1662 HB User
Exclamation Help! Carafate is messing up my schedule!

Hi,
I recently was diagnosed with having a marginal ulcer and have been prescribed Carafate and Protonix. I really need some help making a schedule of when to take the carafate, and my regular meds plus when to eat! It may sound like an easy thing to do, but I am really struggling with it.
I take 6 other medications in the morning, and I used to have a pretty good schedule taking them. I'd get up, take my meds, wait a half hour or so, then have breakfast. Easy peasy.. Now, I have to take Carafate before meals and two hours BEFORE or AFTER taking my regular meds. I just can't seem to make it work with my schedule!
When I started taking the carafate, I took it first thing in the morning, then would eat, then would take my regular meds. That wasn't working out because I was taking my medss too late and a couple of times I got busy and didn't take them at all, which wreaked havoc in my brain. The meds I take are antidepressants and mood stabilizers, and anyone who is on a regimen of those kinds of meds knows how important it is to get them taken at a regular time every day.
So now I am taking my regular meds first thing in the morning, waiting the two hours then I take the carafate the waitb another hour to eat. That is wreaking havoc on my eating schedule! By the time I can eat, I'm either starving (well maybe not starving, but you get my drift) or I have little to no appetite. (Strange, huh?)
Either way I am getting short changed, and I have to get it under control. I'd appreciate any advice or ideas anyone can offer.
Thanks!
Susi
I already eat a very small amount of food

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Help! Carafate is messing up my schedule!

Oh, man, I HATED when I was on stomach meds that had to be taken some specific number of minutes before a meal, I could NEVER get it right.

For breakfast, you might have to skip the Carafate and just eat something super-safe for your stomach, (no fat, bland, low fiber) then maybe have a "real" breakfast at mid-morning WITH the carafate. Or, you could use Mylanta instead.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
(male)

scot724 HB User

i have this problem with carafate as well all you can really do is skip a dosage thats causing you problems the most i was able to take schedule wise was 3 daily

Last edited by scot724; 01-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
(female)

Feisty1 HB User

Carafate in the morning and night is the most important. I am looking at my prescription information from Walgreens. It says to take 1 before you eat or 2 hours after you eat. It also states to take it 2 hours after other meds.

I tried many ways. Try taking meds first, eating and 2 hours carafate that should take care of the problem. I think the most important dose is at night. How many times do you have to take the Carafate?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

Lilly10 HB User

I can not get it right no matter what I do. I was taking carafate, prilosec and zantac....total nightmare. The carafate can not be taken with the zantac so that added even more of an issue. I always forget to take the carafate before eating lunch so there goes that dose...

Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
(female)

susi1662 HB User

Hi y'all,
Thanks for your responses!
Just a brief recap of my sityuation. I have been on carafate since december, and it was causing havoc with my med (and eating ) nschedule. I take several psych meds (for bipolar disorder and ADHD) and was having a difficult time figuring out when I could take them now after I started the carafate. Well, I have made a kind of schedule for myself, and I am still only able to get three doses of the prescribed doses of carafate.
I have an alarm set for me to get up and take my carafate at 5 am. This way, I can take the carafate, go back to bed for a couple more hours, and when I get up for the day, I can take my meds first thing. It was a bit of a hassle to get used to getting up just to swig down a pill, but it's become a part of my routine that I am not bothered by it any more. Now, I have to figure out a way for me to get the missing dose in. Until then, I guess I will keep on like I am nopw. I just hope I am getting enough of it in me to help heal the ulcer!
If I come up with a really good plan, I'll be sure to post it here, lol!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
(female)

Feisty1 HB User

Hello,

Just wondering if you take your last dose at night? I used to take mine at 8 pm then my sleeping pill at 9 pm. I also, got up early to take my carafate then went back to bed. I took my second dose with lunch and 3rd with dinner and the 4th before bed.

Good Luck

Closed Thread

Tags
carafate, meds, schedule, ulcer