It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
(male)

leathley92 HB User
Does acid reflux ever go away??

Hi, I'm 19 years old and about 1-2 months ago I started to get very bad acid reflux, my diet was extremely poor, low in fibre, high in fat and portion size. I drank a lot of fizzy drinks and alcohol (cost of being a student) and was (and still am borderline morbidly obese). I went to my local GP and he told me he thought it was acid reflux and prescribed me some PPI's (omeprazole), he didn't explain much to me about it, only that I should cut down on fizzy drinks, alcohol and food intake. After this I adjusted my diet so that I only rarely drank fixxy drinks, reduced portion sizes and generally healthier eating. I wouldn't describe it as a "healthy diet" more like the diet of an "average" person of my age and gender. The reflux went away, I was taking one pill a day (in the evening), my sleep patterns were uninterrupted (3am-11am, pretty regular for a student home from university for christmas). On the day I returned to University (I woke up at 7 in the morning) and while in the car the reflux flared up again, as bad as before I started taking the PPI's. Once at Uni I figured it was to do with my diet and weight and (after looking around on the internet) changed my diet to what would be considered "healthy", I also began jogging every morning. My sleep routine also altered (11pm-7am) to coincide with this. While the reflux is better now it is still present after every meal (though not as bad).

Also it seems that it worsens when I lean forward over my desk (to revise for exams). So my questions are these: Is it normal to still have reflux symptoms present with PPI's or are they suppossed to surpress it completely? Should I consult my GP? Does acid reflux ever go away or will I be hounded by it for the rest of my life? Are my sleep patterns affecting the effectiveness of the PPI's? Please help

EDIT: Also, I recently tried going a day without PPI's, I didn't have any acid reflux that day, could this be because the PPI's are somehow making it worse or is it that the recent changes to diet and lifestyle are taking effect to the point that I don't need PPI's? When I took a PPI again the symptoms seemed to be returning (but not that badly), although this was just after a meal so it could have been that.

Last edited by leathley92; 01-14-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: New Information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Does acid reflux ever go away??

Hi,
I was on Nexium for a time and though I took it regularly it never got rid of it.
I used to take it along with Gaviscon and also Aloe-Vera juice.
In the end I stopped taking the Nexium altogether and I've had no problems since, I felt in my case that they seemed to increase my symptoms.
I'm not saying others should do that because each case is different and they are essential for most A.R sufferers but I feel better without.
Adjusting your diet is a good step forward and will help also. Do not eat three hours before going to bed and try to avoid stress as much as possible.
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You may always have a little more sensitivity or experience symptoms after certain foods. However, you probably can get yourself better to the point that you are heartburn-free most days.

1) Continue the changes in diet, if they seem to be helping.

2) Losing weight can help. The pressure on the belly from extra pounds is a major cause of reflux.

3) Work on posture, stand or sit up straight as much as possible, especially after meals.

The omeprazole helps a lot of people, but not everyone. You might need to take it, you might not.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
(female)

shopgirl28 HB User

Hiya, yes I can say that reflux does go away, but its the type of ailment that needs to be managed- as long as you make the right choices in your diet and regular exercise you can effectively manage it.

I've had reflux problems since I was 15 years old. I had a barium meal done and it was found out that I had acid reflux. My family went on a whole new different diet, cutting out caffiene, take-away food, chocolates, etc (anything with citrus and had a high fat content). About a month later, after changing diets, the problems just went away. Now and again over the years, I've had reflux, but have been able to get rid of it straight away by taking quick-Eze or drinking Eno.

I graduated from film school (Australia) a month ago, and I believe that with all the stresses of university (as well as working in the film industry), mixed with a bad diet (its abit hard to think about diet when you are working 12+ hours on a film set- you grab any food available), set off my reflux again after years of not having any serious problems.

My recent episode happened at 2am in the morning (I felt as if I was having a heart attack). The night before, I had been suffering from mild reflux at work (however, looking back I think it was attributed to drinking too much coffee). When I got home, I had a sharp pain in my upper abdomen that quickly went away. For dinner, I had pizza (which I also think contributed to the reflux).

The next day at work I felt so sick and the pain was terrible. I ended up going to my doctor and he prescribed Zoton, ranitidine hydrochloride tablets and gavison. I've been taking one ranitidine hydrochloride tablet a day in the morning before I eat and then taking gaviscon tablets after I finish eating. If I feel still feel sick after that, I take eno or quick-eze.

I haven't drank any caffiene in the last 48 hours and have been eating small healthy meals, such as for breakfast, a small weetbix (which is cereal made from whole grain wheat), with soymilk, topped with two peach slices and chamamile tea. For lunch I have a salad sandwich with lettuce, two slices of tomato and something else like an egg. For dinner, maybe something like rice with stir fried vegetables. If I get hungary during the day, I have a small rice cracker or whole grain cracker or an apple. I have also found that the chamamile tea mixed with a teaspoon of honey, is really effective in soothing my oesophageous.

Last night, I felt really sick after eating, so I drank some eno and it stopped the nausea straight away (eno is really effective in taking away the sour taste in the mouth) I have also been sleeping with my bed head elevated, which also seems to be helping.

This afternoon, I'm feeling much better and the pain in my chest, seems to have decreased (although the pain is still there). I still feel a little bit ill (as would be expected after such a miserable 48 hours), but much better

Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

Springy HB User

Hi there.
I too suffer from acid reflux and was given Omeprazole to help. The first month it didn't really help, so I got another dose for another month. Again it didn't go away completely so I was given more.
I decided to stop last Sunday and see how it went as I was feeling better with not as much pain in my chest. I did feel better throughout the week, with occasional burping/pain in my chest but not as bas as it was. Last night/today I have been having the reflux and pain back, but thankfully not as bad as it used to be.
I have cut out caffeine, alcohol and trying not to eat 'bad' foods. I have also been trying not to think about it and not stress out, which seems to have helped too.
I think if I do start getting more pain again I will have to go back to the doctors and get an endoscopy done, as they said that is the next step for me....
Having labyrinthitis then acid reflux/IBS has not been the easiest this past 6 months or so!!

Closed Thread