It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

frustratingpain HB User
Stomach Pain after Endoscopy??

Hey everyone,

i need some help or at least stories of past endoscopy experiences.

Yesterday morning i had a horrifying endoscopy for suspected peptic ulcers after recommendation from a doctor at a local hospital. The procedure was horrendous. I didn't have enough money for anaesthetics like most folks there, so i was given a small tube of topical anesthetic to drink to numb the throat. Despite following their directions to take the medication once i'm the 3rd person in a line of other patients, my numbing medication for the most part wore off by the time it was my turn. The tube was later pushed down my throat. Since i'd never done this before and the technicians were unsympathetic to my fears, i panicked and took out the tube. I continued to scream, gag and cough as the technician struggled to shove the endoscope further down. As my reflexes forced me to swallow the excess saliva produced in this state the gagging worsened along with the technician's temper. All in all it was a struggle, with arms flailing, body twitching, stomach gaging, panicked screaming and the technician's yelling.

To cut to the point, I've been having a ever present and from what it seems , worsening stomach/upper abdominal pains of a different caliber since. The pain before the exam was bad, but this is much worse. I feel as though my stomach is bruised from the inside. The pain is a constant dull ache, as if the upper portion of my stomach connecting to the oesophagus is being twisted and torn. I have trouble lying on my side as my insides feel crushed. I've also been burping quite a bit, which i hear is normal. Is the stomach pain something i should be concerned with?

It is also pointless to go back to the same hospital and ask about this because it is unlikely that the technician who had done the procedure would take any responsibility or interest for that matter.

I'm in quite a bit of pain, i'd really appreciate some of your stories and advice.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: Stomach Pain after Endoscopy??

I'm sorry you had such a rough time.

I've been scoped several times and never had pain afterward. Of course I didn't struggle as I was out of it. My daughter had it without anesthesia and didn't have any problem except to say the urge to swallow the probe was great and she did gag. But she didn't experience the difficulty or pain you had.

Personally I'd not return to that hospital. You do need to see a doctor if this pain doesn't stop. I don't want to frighten you but I really think you should get checked.

Blessings,
Annie

The Following User Says Thank You to annie42 For This Useful Post:
frustratingpain (02-27-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Stomach Pain after Endoscopy??

No, that pain is not normal. If you are still having pain, go to a different hospital and complain.

Closed Thread

Tags
endoscopy, pain, stomach