It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
(female)

Twiggle66 HB User
Difficulty/Restricted Breathing

Can anyone offer any advise, i have spent another night pacing the floors trying to stop the panic sweeping in.
I started a diet beginning of January and virtually since then i have had what feels like restricted breathing. I can not seem to be able to inflate my lungs fully and have the urge to yawn frequently. I also have alot of bloating in the stomach area. I do suffer with acid reflux but not on any medication. the doctor put me on Omeprazole 2 weeks ago to take twice a day,this has made no difference at all infact it feels like it is getting worst. Strange thing is that it always seems worst at night, not sure why but i do have the symptoms throughout the day.
Has anyone had similar symptoms and been able to find a cure, going through another night like this scares the hell out of me.

Thank you for any advise

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: Difficulty/Restricted Breathing

Hi Twiggles, Sorry you're feel awful. Hope it will soon pass.

I don't have an answer for you except to tell you what I would do - I'd get off this new diet, go back to whatever I was eating before and see how this goes. The Omeprazole is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) and most of the time takes weeks to work - there being a few exceptions.

Why do you feel panicky? Is it because of the GERD or the breathlessness?

The breathlessness might be caused by the panic you're fighting. When this happens to me, I go with it and tell myself it's only an anxiety attack and it will pass. I keep telling myself, "And this too shall pass."

Most sufferers say GERD symptoms are worse at night. I'm just the opposite, I suffer all day but am able to sleep well at night.

Sending you good wishes and blessings,
Annie

The Following User Says Thank You to annie42 For This Useful Post:
Twiggle66 (02-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

Dansgrl HB User

One of the major, well-known side effects of omeprazole is anxiety/panic attacks. The doctor might try a different medication. I have had breathing issues like you describe when my stomach gets above my diaphragm due to my hiatal hernia. However, the bloating is concerning. I would check back in with your doctor again.

You might consider trying the apple cider vinegar and water to soothe your acid reflux instead of the omeprazole.

I hope you are on the mend quickly!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dansgrl For This Useful Post:
Twiggle66 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

I have had the same thing. It started about 5 years ago...I thought I had really bad asthma, had every test under the sun. Was told it was LPR. PPI's didn't help. After many many months it got a bit better. I took 2 Zantac a day and watched the acid intake. I don't know if that really helped any, but I stuck to it for a while. Recently my symptoms came back full force. In the mean time I noticed my sinuses were VERY bad. I am wondering if that has more to do with it. I am also having what feels like spasms in my throat and heart flutters. I am not sure if it is really acid as much as spasms. The restricted breathing and globus sensation is by far the worse. Exercising seems to make it even worse. I just had upper GI which came back fine...my oxygen levels are fine as well... I was told it is just a sensation but it's bad and consuming. I feel it when my throat spasms so I know I am not imagining it. I was told some anti anxiety meds like Valium may help.
Sorry I don't have much advice but I know how you feel.

The Following User Says Thank You to alex12 For This Useful Post:
Twiggle66 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
(female)

mandygirl12 HB User

Twiggle,

I absolutely have breathing problems associated with my GERD. In fact, I would say that is one of my biggest symptoms. I get a constricted feeling in my throat like I am not getting enough air and then I start yawning a lot and I get really tired. It only happens when I have a GERD flare-up- more than the burning sensation it is this chest tightness and shortness of breath that gets to me. I know it is very scary. Once a doctor told me that feeling like I need to gasp for air is because of the acid build-up. It is always worse after eating and at night. Sometimes sipping on cold water helps me for whatever reason; I think it's more of a calming thing than it really does anything medically. I am also on Prilosec for years now, and most of the time it helps but lately not at all. I also tried Zantac twice a day but did not like it. I've had my oxygen levels tested and an EKG- both normal, so I think I am actually getting enough oxygen it just feels like I'm not because I have so much acid coming up that it's causing a lot of discomfort. It usually also helps me to stand up and walk around a little to get some fresh air. Sitting or lying down make it worse. Exercising is difficult. I hope you feel better, it is a terrible and terrifying symptom. I've also read apple cider vinegar can help, which I'm going to try next if my symptoms don't go away.

The Following User Says Thank You to mandygirl12 For This Useful Post:
Twiggle66 (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
(female)

Twiggle66 HB User

Thank you all for your advise.
I hadnt heard of the apple cider vinegar before but will definately give this a go as i am getting desparate.
Things started to calm down and the breathing started to get easier and then thursday last week it came back with a vengence. Everynight is a struggle to get through and i know that if i panic i will make it worst so i just try to keep calm which is so difficult.
I have been referred for an urgent endoscopy as my heamoglobin levels were low when i had my blood tested. Endoscopy is tuesday next week so i am so hoping that they find something wrong, i know i shouldnt wish for that but then hopefully they can go about putting it right.

Has anyone else had an endoscopy for this and did it show anything.
i was wondering if it was being caused by a hiatal hernia, is there no cure except PPI. Currently taking Lanzoprazole and doctor has put me on Diazepam temporary just to help me get through.

Thanks again for any help or advise.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
(female)

Twiggle66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansgrl View Post
One of the major, well-known side effects of omeprazole is anxiety/panic attacks. The doctor might try a different medication. I have had breathing issues like you describe when my stomach gets above my diaphragm due to my hiatal hernia. However, the bloating is concerning. I would check back in with your doctor again.

You might consider trying the apple cider vinegar and water to soothe your acid reflux instead of the omeprazole.

I hope you are on the mend quickly!
Hi Dansgirl

Is there anything you do or take to help ease the breathing when this happens?

Thank you

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Twiggle, I have read throught your post as well as everyone's responses. You have my symptoms to a tee. It is very frightening I know all too well. I am having a real bad flare up of reflux right now and have started back on my Prevacid. I hate being on it too long because it gives my side effects like electric shock sensations in my muscles, my hair thins out and I get constipated. But I do it for awhile to get things back under control,

I have lots of mucus in my throat and drainage down my throat from my sinus's I do have allergies too. I have shortness of breath and it makes me feel like I have asthma. When I go out into the cold air or walk up stairs it sets it off. quite scary. I feel like I have to yawm ALOT to get a full breath in. It is tender and sore in my sternum area. I am under alot of financial stress and I live alone and am a college student in my 40's. I try not to worry but we all do and I think it sets off the reflux.

I was scoped 3 years ago and the doctor found nothing wrong with me. I hate to have it done again if I don't have to. Try not to be scared. Its good to have it done at least once so you can rule anything out. It will be ok. It's all about getting it back under control. The flare ups come and go. Now I can recognize it pretty quick when the symptoms start in.

I have aloe vera juice in the fridge and Apple Cidar Vinegar on hand. I try to take those when i remember. Also get on an probiotic everyday. This will REALLY help! I swear by them. Please let us know how you are. Try not to panic. Take slow cleansing breaths and put a movie in and try to get your mind off of things. P.S. we are all here to talk to you any time!

Take care!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
(female)

paseitz HB User

Twiggles,

I have been diagnosed with Esophogitis and spasms of the esophagus. I have had the same symptoms; difficulty breathing, fluttering in the chest and throat, along with a multitude of others. I have what feels like a constant lump in my throat. It feels similar to when you are about to cry. I have been to the E/R on more than one occasion thinking I was having a heart attack. After EKG, heart echo and even a heart cath they have ruled out heart problems. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist next week. I have already had the barium swallow which only showed slight reflux. I can tell you that this is a very difficult condition to deal with. I feel bad constantly. I am learning that the food I eat is directly correlated to how bad/well I feel. I have always loved spicy foods. I can no longer eat anything spicy. I feel bad when I eat any of the following; greasy foods, spicy foods, raw vegetables, too many nuts, chocolate, most meat. I am trying to primarily eat soups and softer bland food. I have tried nexium with little or no affect. What helps me more than anything is saltine crackers and buttermilk. I don't know if this coats my esophagus and stomach maybe. I just know that it sometimes will completely get rid of the spasms. I drink a lot of warm chicken soup broth as well. The heat seems to relax my esophagus and stop the spasms. I will post an update after I see my GI doctor so maybe someone else can be helped or at least feel comfort in knowing they are not the only one going through this. I hope you get better soon.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
(female)

Twiggle66 HB User

Thank you Tedd for the advise, popping a movie in is a great idea as any distraction helps me forget about my breathing. I really hope that you and paseitz find a cure for your breathing problems.
I had the endoscopy yesterday and surprise surprise nothing was found but biopsys have been taken from small intestine and also now down for an ultrasound and colonoscopy. They are now looking at the possibility of it being malabsorption.

I don't care what it is I just want to feel better and not feel like in having to think about my breathing.
Thinking of you all and hope that we all find a cure soon. Xx

Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
(female)

CMinor83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
Hi Twiggle, I have read throught your post as well as everyone's responses. You have my symptoms to a tee. It is very frightening I know all too well. I am having a real bad flare up of reflux right now and have started back on my Prevacid. I hate being on it too long because it gives my side effects like electric shock sensations in my muscles, my hair thins out and I get constipated. But I do it for awhile to get things back under control,

I have lots of mucus in my throat and drainage down my throat from my sinus's I do have allergies too. I have shortness of breath and it makes me feel like I have asthma. When I go out into the cold air or walk up stairs it sets it off. quite scary. I feel like I have to yawm ALOT to get a full breath in. It is tender and sore in my sternum area. I am under alot of financial stress and I live alone and am a college student in my 40's. I try not to worry but we all do and I think it sets off the reflux.

I was scoped 3 years ago and the doctor found nothing wrong with me. I hate to have it done again if I don't have to. Try not to be scared. Its good to have it done at least once so you can rule anything out. It will be ok. It's all about getting it back under control. The flare ups come and go. Now I can recognize it pretty quick when the symptoms start in.

I have aloe vera juice in the fridge and Apple Cidar Vinegar on hand. I try to take those when i remember. Also get on an probiotic everyday. This will REALLY help! I swear by them. Please let us know how you are. Try not to panic. Take slow cleansing breaths and put a movie in and try to get your mind off of things. P.S. we are all here to talk to you any time!

Take care!

I use all three of those remedies, too, as my primary natural medicines: Probiotics, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Aloe Vera. Considering your other posts, I think you and I have the same condition and an inclination to treat it the same way. Interesting!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
(male)

writey HB User

I had my first panic attack ever about 4 weeks ago (I am 36y.o.). The symptoms were significant shortness of breath, and panic along with it (I assumed because I could not breath well at all). It was bad enough for an ambulance ride to the ER. I have mild asthma too, but albuterol did not help at all, and after a breath test and more of these attacks and another ER visit, the doctor tried Xanax and it worked. So it was anxiety and not asthma all along. It's weird that it would suddenly happen out of nowhere after 36years of nothing like this. The one thing to note, I had started taking Omeprazole (it helps my asthma ironically) about 1 week before my first anxiety, dyspnea attack, and I noticed a pattern, I would have these attacks usually around 14hours give or take a couple hours of taking my Omeprazole. Since I typically took my Omep in the AM, I was having my attacks at night. This happened 3 times I know of for sure, out of 4 significant attacks (I couldn't remember when I took Omep that time).
I'm off Omep now, but the anxiety attacks still persist in a milder way and at different times of the day, but I have read other people say they took a good month to get better. Your case might be different if you were having anxiety episodes before taking Omep, but at least it might explain the timing. To be fair, I don't know if it was the Omep, because I have taken it in the past without this effect.

Good luck. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this, and to get better.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-20-2012 at 05:22 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website, for any reason.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
(male)

retrostar1000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggle66 View Post
Can anyone offer any advise, i have spent another night pacing the floors trying to stop the panic sweeping in.
I started a diet beginning of January and virtually since then i have had what feels like restricted breathing. I can not seem to be able to inflate my lungs fully and have the urge to yawn frequently. I also have alot of bloating in the stomach area. I do suffer with acid reflux but not on any medication. the doctor put me on Omeprazole 2 weeks ago to take twice a day,this has made no difference at all infact it feels like it is getting worst. Strange thing is that it always seems worst at night, not sure why but i do have the symptoms throughout the day.
Has anyone had similar symptoms and been able to find a cure, going through another night like this scares the hell out of me.

Thank you for any advise

Old 05-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
(male)

retrostar1000 HB User

Twiggle66- Sorry to hear you are suffering. I have had similar symptoms since Sept 2008. It came on gradually but after a week it was full blown and I could barely catch my breath. I was bedridden for 9 weeks straight, no relief at all. It felt like breathing through a tiny straw. My lips would turn blue, fingers and toes go numb. I went to the ER several times, they could do nothing about it. One doctor told me it would eventually go away on its own. That was almost 4 years ago. IT DID GET BETTER, HOWEVER, although not completely. I still have trouble breathing but it is not as bad as before. It is still debilitating and I can't really do much anymore. Sometimes I feel awesome and my breathing is great, but it is rare. I usually am wheezing and trying to suck air down, and I yawn alot. Once this year and once last year I had such a bad attack I had to go to the ER again! It feels like you are going to die. I know what you are going through. Some advice for you- it does seem to get better, despite how bad it seems. It won't kill you, either. I am convinced it is caused by the stomach acid refluxing and irritating the lining of my esophagus, causing it to spasm and contract. That's what it feels like when I can barely breath- my throat gets a warm sensation, and I can never breath right when it is happening. I am trying Protonix next week. A coworker had nightmare reflux symptoms- she was in tears frequently- and she made a full recovery. You have to keep trying different treatments, thats all you can do. Don't give up. It will get better somehow

Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
(female)

daisychain1974 HB User
Smile Re: Difficulty/Restricted Breathing

I have just got back from an appointment with the COPD nurse, I have had breathing difficulties, phelm, cough, nausea problems for a long time now. I have had a chest xray, an ECG, an inhaler and lots of blood tests but to no avail, then today she tells me it could be acid reflux. Lots of appointments to doctors, several hours spent having tests, feeling like I am losing my mind, I hope she has hit upon the right diagnosis, she has given me PPI's to start taking, I have my fingers crossed they work. I can totally empathiase with every one on this thread, it is a nightmare to go through and you feel like it is never going to end, I never knew before today that breathing problems could be linked to acid. I wish everyone luck and hope they feel better soon, fingers crossed I will

Closed Thread