It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

Easttex HB User
Nissen fundoplication surgery

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board and I hope I'm doing this right! I promised myself after I had this surgery I would post my outcome to help add to the very few success stories out there.While I was so grateful for all of your information as to how to care for myself after this procedure I was somewhat scared to death that I would regret doing it from all the horror stories . I had my procedure done on dec 29 2011. I had a small hiatal hernia and that was fixed at the same time. I have not had one minute worth of trouble with this. I keep thinking one day it will hit and hope and pray that it only continues to get better. I can still burp and my doctor told me I would. All I can figure is like some of you said is the right doctor makes all the difference. So if any of you that need this procedure done can make it to Houston his name is Dr. Clifton Thomas. I'm telling you unless there is something I haven't had to deal with yet it was a breeze. I only stayed on liquid 3 days then soft foods 3 days and now I'm eating anything I want and no PPI's

The following user gives a hug of support to Easttex:
someoneSpecial1 (02-04-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Nissen fundoplication surgery

Congratulations! So glad you are doing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

WVgal HB User

I just had the NF on 1/18/12 and I am having an awesome recovery. I was on oatmeal by day 2 and had 2 soft eggs today, as well as mashed potatoes and gravy and refried beans. No paid, no reflux, and most importantly for me, no coughing. My primary complaint was severe respiratory issues, including the development of asthma. Seems my lungs have taken a beating, but it is my hope that they can now heal up. Sinus issues are also gone. Only problem is a bit of gassiness, but that was expected. I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever, and other than the limited diet, the surgery and recovery thus far have been far better than I anticipated.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
(male)

Obsidian99 HB User

Thank you both for posting some positive stories. I'm having my surgery in about a week, and I'm scared to death. I have a great surgeon, but after reading the ordeal that OP have posted, I was thinking this might be the worst thing I've ever done.

At least I know it isn't all bad.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Mine wasn't quite so easy as theirs! It took about 6 weeks to get to the point where I could eat what I wanted.

But the reflux is basically gone. And my asthma is so much better. I definitely made the right decision.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My asthma was significantly better from the moment I woke up after my NF surgery. My surgeon was more cautious about the time frames for moving from liquids to soft foods to general solids though.

Based upon my experiences since my surgery in 2008, I would repeat the process in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
(male)

Obsidian99 HB User

If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to go from liquid to soft then to solid foods MR?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

2 weeks of liquids, two weeks of purees, two weeks soft foods.

Yeah, lost about 8 pounds.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi. Ask away. From my point of view, that is what we are all here for. To ask questions and share what we've learned from our own experiences.

I stayed on liquids only for 2 weeks. The first week they were mostly clear. My surgeon said I couldn't even do things such as add strawberries to my smoothies because of the strawberry seeds. He really wanted me to stay on liquids only.

I then added soft solids which I stayed with for a week or 2. I didn't add solid meat and bread back until almost 3 months.

You can read some of my older posts to see some of my experiences. I had my surgery on October 8, 2008.

Last edited by MountainReader; 02-03-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
(female)

WVgal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Hi. Ask away. From my point of view, that is what we are all here for. To ask questions and share what we've learned from our own experiences.

I stayed on liquids only for 2 weeks. The first week they were mostly clear. My surgeon said I couldn't even do things such as add strawberries to my smoothies because of the strawberry seeds. He really wanted me to stay on liquids only.

I then added soft solids which I stayed with for a week or 2. I didn't add solid meat and bread back until almost 3 months.

You can read some of my older posts to see some of my experiences. I had my surgery on October 8, 2008.
How do I find your older posts? I'm afraid I am lost on here! Thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi. I have a lot of posts on here from my years of visiting this site so there is a bit to go through. If you click on my name on the post, you will come to a screen with information about me (profile). There is a tab there called statistics. Click on that. In the first box, you will see a line that has threads I've posted to. If you click on that line, it will come to the information I've posted over the years. It looks like much of my information starts around page 38 and newer. I did have some other digestive issues (IBS) around that time as well after I had some long term side effects from when I took Nexium. Please disregard those posts as being indicative of the Nissen Fundoplication.

You can also do a general search on this board as well. There is a search bar at the top of this board. Just type in Nissen Fundoplication and you will find lots of threads where the NF is mentioned.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
(female)

someoneSpecial1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttex View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to the board and I hope I'm doing this right! I promised myself after I had this surgery I would post my outcome to help add to the very few success stories out there.While I was so grateful for all of your information as to how to care for myself after this procedure I was somewhat scared to death that I would regret doing it from all the horror stories . I had my procedure done on dec 29 2011. I had a small hiatal hernia and that was fixed at the same time. I have not had one minute worth of trouble with this. I keep thinking one day it will hit and hope and pray that it only continues to get better. I can still burp and my doctor told me I would. All I can figure is like some of you said is the right doctor makes all the difference. So if any of you that need this procedure done can make it to Houston his name is Dr. Clifton Thomas. I'm telling you unless there is something I haven't had to deal with yet it was a breeze. I only stayed on liquid 3 days then soft foods 3 days and now I'm eating anything I want and no PPI's
Well done to you
My son had this done when he was only 4 years old as he had severe reflux. It wasn't until I rushed him to A&E as he had been very sick whilst asleep, that he was refered to an amazing consultant at great ormand street hospital in London who suggested the operation. He can't no longer be sick as a result of the operation and he is now 10 years of age and his quality of life for my little prince as improved so much, he is now a healthy child who, if hadn't of had the operation would not be here today.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
(female)

KarenCV HB User

did you have laproscopic?

Old 06-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

I think that in general most people who have a Nissen Fundoplication have the laproscopic version. It really depends on your specific health problem though. The laproscopic version does have a quicker healing time.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mine was laparoscopic. Nowadays, they usually do laparoscopic.

Closed Thread

Tags
acid reflux, hiatal hernia pain