It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User
Tired of feeling like I need to clear my throat constantly

I'm scheduled for an EGD in two days to find out what's wrong with me. I'm really scared. My symptoms started with abdominal bloating mainly. Now I feel as if there is a lump in my throat or something. If feels like when you have gunk from post nasal drip and you have to clear your throat. But when I try to clear it, it doesn't go away. I don't think there is anything there from my sinus. Maybe it's stomach acid, sometimes there is a little bad taste. I am constantlly feeling the need to clear my throat and it's driving me crazy. The only time I get relief is when I'm asleep. As soon as I get up in the morning, it starts again. My throat is not sore but I am noticing that if I talk much, I do start to sound a little hoarse. When I eat something, I almost feel like some of it is not going down all the way. Last night I ate a few wheat crackers with some cheese and then I started burping like crazy. I have been told that maybe this is acid reflux. I never feel any heartburn, but I have had excessive burping for years now. Maybe I've had it without knowing and it has damaged my esophagus. I sure hope I don't have cancer or something. I have noticed lately that if I eat something with a little black pepper on it that there is a slight stinging sensation when I swallow it. I took over the counter prilosec and gaviscon for two weeks and I seem worse with this throat thing. The only thing I noticed when I took those meds is that I didn't burp as much. Anyway, I just want this test to be over with. The doctor that ordered it wanted to rule out any erosion of the esophagus or any cancer. The gastros nurse that scheduled my EGD said that to her it sounded like possibly a hernia or ulcer. But don't you have pain with ulcers? I have no pain. As far as the hiatal hernia, maybe that could be causing all this excessive burping? Sorry to go on and on, I'm just anxious about all this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
(male)

George4466 HB User
Re: Tired of feeling like I need to clear my throat constantly

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem! I am struggling with this problem for two months and it's so frustrating that I can't put my finger on what it is. I have exactly the same symptoms as you described, including the excessive burping, my symptoms are really bad if I drink a lot of water that day, except that there is not pattern. As well, it's also better when I sleep.
PPI don't seem to work, I eliminated all GERD aggravating foods but no difference. For me it all started with a Helicobacter Pylori infection which I treated and I just found out today that I have gotten rid of I also have no heartburn, except last night which was a first for me in years but I think it was because I ate late before going to sleep and it happened when I woke up in the morning.
I made a endoscopy in December and I had a normal looking esophagus, two healed scars on the duoden and a minor gastritis, except that my doctor attributed all my symptoms to the Helicobacter Pylori said that after the treatment I should be better. Now I am almost two months after the treatment, I don't have that indigestion feeling that you also described but I still have this sensation in the back of the throat.
Keep me updated If you can on what you find out. I am really interested especially as our symptoms are so similar.
Good luck with your check up,
Best,

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
(male)

LPR50 HB User

I cant believe I just read what you posted. I have been on here since last year and never really read anyone with the exact same symptoms. I started out noticing I was belching alot. I have had an ultrasound, barium swallow and EGD. All came back negative. Only thing the barium swallow showed was slight irregularity in the way food goes down the esophagus. I have been to the internist, gastro and ENT. The ENT put a scope in my nose and looked at my vocal folds. Said they were slightly red and diagnosed LPR. Another ENT told me that was to quick a diagnosis and lots of things could cause the slightly red vocal folds. I had no hernia or ulcer. Was on 20mg Nexium for 3 mos. No improvement. Wanted me to go to 4omg and I elected to not do it. I drink 1.5 cups of coffee a day, no fast food, no dairy to speak of, no sugar to speak of, not overweight, workout 6x a week. Had blood tests done and not allergic to anything other than Timothy grass, whatever that really is? My symptoms are exactly and I mean exactly the same as yours all the way down to the pepper reaction. Right now it feels like my throat is swollen and I have been clearing my throat all day. Not really a sore throat but kind of scratchy. I belch on and off all day. I sleep fine and have no heartburn. I wish I knew what to tell you to fix it. It also just started. One day I was fine and the next day I wasn't. I have heard it all, anxiety, stress, allergies, just getting older (50), smaller meals, no eating 3 hours before bed, no coffee, no beer, no chocolate, no peppermint, no spicy foods etc etc etc. Please keep me posted on what your doctor says? Funny thing is I belong to a health club that has many doctors and I am always asking their opinions. Even had a surgeon look at my EGD photos and tell me it all looked fine. Told him "Well, I don't feel fine". They kind of shrug their shoulders and say they don't know what to tell me. I also get an itch mainly on one side of my throat and that starts the clearing episodes. Feels like my throat is swelling. Thank you for sharing your story. Can't believe how similar it is to mine.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I'll let you know how my test turns out. I'm dreading it and will be glad when it's over. I have wondered if this could be stress induced as I've have been under an enormous about of stress and worry the last couple months. I doubt that's it though. I did go on a high protein, high fat, low carb diet (similar to Atkins) for a couple of weeks. Then I went off it and went back to eating carbs and that is about the time this all started with the bloating and the throat thing. (I've been burping bad for years) Probably has nothing to do with it, hopefully I'll find out more after my EGD. Just hope I don't freak out too bad. I don't do well with anything in a hospital or clinic. My blood pressure goes thru the roof!!! It's "white coat hypertension" I guess. I can guarantee it will be "sky high" when they start the procedure. Ugh!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
(male)

rgoyal HB User
Red face Re: Low blood pressure

Yesterday my blood pressure in the morning was 88/56 and pulse 58. Generally my BP is ~130/88. Any serious concern of suddenly low BP but it was OK after some time. I take BP medicine and blood thinner. I am diabetic type 2.
Any comment???

Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
(male)

LPR50 HB User

Dont worry about the EGD. Ask to be sedated. You will go to sleep and wake up when it is over. You should have no side effects. I eat a lot of protein because of weight lifting but also my fair share of carbs. My doctors do not seem to be concerned about the percentages of proteins and carbs. This whole thing is goofy. The EGD probably wont diagnose acid reflux but will see any abnormalities in your esophagus and stomach plus will take a couple samples of tissue to check for H. Pylori and Celiacs. It is a valuable test to have done. Probably a Manometry test will eventually need to be done for acid reflux. Don't know where you live but the newer test that places little probes in your esophagus and uses wireless transfer of info to a pack you wear on your side. May want to ask your doctor about doing this too during the EGD.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

Had the test yesterday. I started a new topic entitled "trying to understand my egd test results". I'll get the biopsy results in about a week. If symptoms persist the doctor said I might want to have an esophageal manometry. He told my husband that the dialation he did might help the "lump feeling" to go away. It hasn't, hopefully it will go away soon. It's like I am aware of every swallow.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
(male)

LPR50 HB User

Glad the test went smoothly for you. I know your hesitant to have that done. I understand being aware of every swallow. I am as well. I have a sore throat now from the phlegm and don't know if it from that or if I am getting sick? The manometry test will be able to assist with acid reflux but beware, there have been studies that show that test is inconclusive plus it is not very comfortable if you have to have the wire probes placed. Like I mentioned, not sure where you live, there are newer tests that place the probes using the scope. they are wireless and can be placed at both ends of the sphincters. It seems to be a more accurate test from the doctors I have spoken with. they do not have it in the area where I live. I would have to travel a few hours to get it done.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
(female)

CMinor83 HB User

I have your precise symptoms as well. I am sorry to say it is relieving to hear that I am not the only one with this seemingly rare condition. According to my research it is called Esophagopharyngeal reflux and not GERD or LPR. All three are quite different. Look up Esophagopharyngeal reflux and see what you find. It is the rare condition of all three that doctors are usually puzzled by, and it seems to match our symptoms.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
(female)

alleynyc HB User

Same symptoms here - the mucus thing is extremely annoying. I'm on 60 mg of Dexilant 2X a day. I never had heartburn until August 2009 but a upper endoscopy showed a fair amount of damage so I have GERD? LPR? Some form of reflux. And the mucus thing just won't quit. I sometimes take Mucinex but it dries me out - I'm constantly balancing my need to talk with my need to be mucus free. It's tricky (I use my voice professionally).

Good luck and hang in there. You are not alone.

Closed Thread