It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

jillellice HB User
Unhappy At my wits end!

It all started one afternoon in October. I was driving home from work and suddenly felt like I couldn't swallow. I didn't know if it was an allergic reaction, asthma attack or a stroke. I made it home safely and had someone drive me to the ER. They dismissed it as a possible allergic reaction, gave me steroids and allergy meds despite the fact that my throat wasn't swollen and gave me something for anxiety. Still feeling crappy the next day I made an appt. with the ENT and got in the next day. She did a laryngoscopy and found that I had reflux. The trouble I was having swallowing was from erosion. She put me on Nexium.

Now lets add in extreme, EXTREME, unbearable dry mouth and throat and that was me for about a good week. Nexium seemed to be helping but after being on it one month I was feeling crappy again and anxious. Now lets add in the sensation of a lump in my throat, constant throat clearing and the feeling that someone is pressing their fingers into my throat and choking me. She did another laryngoscopy and said there was no swelling, throat looked good. Just reflux. Went to a GI who put me on Dexilant and did an endoscopy. Found reflux, esophogitis and gastritis. The choking pressure feeling is esophogeal spams. Told me to keep taking Dexilant and see him in 3 months and keep taking Xanax when the spasms come on to help me relax. And for a couple of weeks I felt much better. Now I'm back to square one. Terrible lump in the throat. Burning in throat and chest. I feel like I've been eating fire. Woke up every 20 minutes last night choking. Extreme dry mouth and throat again.

I'm freaking out! I'm really at the end of my rope with all this. What can I do to make this nightmare go away??!!! I can't even sleep. I can hardly function and I have to work!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: At my wits end!

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I have been going through the same thing. Sometimes things getting a little better then wham, a bad flare up with the choking lump sensation and burning etc...it is so very frustrating I know.

I am trying like you are, to find a solution. I go on and off Prevacid because it has side effects. I have to take it to get things under control but then I go back off of it because it makes my hair fall out and gives me weird muscle spasms and a few odd things. All drugs have side effects unfortunately. You take one thing to cure another and then have another problem. ugh!

Do you have any food allergies? Alot of my issues are from my food allergies and when I cheat a bit. Then other thing is are you going through any hormonal changes like perimenopause or menopause? That really messes up your body chemistry. I was fine till I hit my forties and I have really been struggling. Our bodies are like chemistry and need to be balanced. I suggest a probiotic daily, and I am taking some apple cidar vinegar in water daily, if I remember and I still need a Prevacid and Tums on and off. Alot of times our stomachs don't have enough acid and we are needed to put it back in there and that is where the apple cidar vinegar comes in. You can do some research on it as well.

Just hang in there. you will make your way through this. I am just doing it on a day to day basis. Please keep us posted on how you are. Take care!

Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

PrincessLexie HB UserPrincessLexie HB UserPrincessLexie HB User

Hi, I'm going through similar things. I have 2 other posts were I explain my story about GERD and now weird things going on with my throat and esophuagus after a esophagael manometry test. I know how you feel, this is so depressing, I have lost 4 pounds in one week because i have lost my appetite.

Jillellice and Tedds, have you had the esophagael motility test? Before this test I could swallow normal, my big problem has been GERD. But the results from this test came out that my esophagus motility is weak and that my sphincter doesnt close. I wasn't surprised about the sphincter, but about the esophagus motility yes because I had never had any trouble swallowing. After that horrible test (which was last Friday) I have been depressed, anxious, and now I am afraid of eating, I can't stop crying, I've lost more of my appetite and I've lost 4 pounds. This is driving me crazy. I have an appointment with my G.I in 3 weeks. The weird part is that before the nurse told me the results I had no trouble swallowing, I could eat anything and swallow normally, but now since Friday I feel that something is stuck in my throat and I hope it's just psychological! I am going crazy!!!!

I had an upper endoscopy and other exams over a year ago and everything was normal, they just said I had dyspepsia and Mild GERD. I was on protonix for 2 years but stopped taking it on December. Since then I've been going through a horrible acid rebound, but now I am taking natural med since I consulted a herbalist on Saturday, he said that I can get cured but that I have to stop being negative (since drs. say that there is no cure for this types of problems). It's day 5 of me taking the natural meds, but I am still afraid of eating. And I don't feel hungry anyway.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

Hi Jillellice, I just read your post and was wondering how your doing now. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with GERD. Last month I was diagnosed with Esophageal Spasms. Approx 2 weeks after I started taking the meds I got the sensation of a lump in my throat. I didn't know if I was having an allergic reaction to the meds and I couldn't think of anything i've been doing differently. So, I made an appt. with my Gastro doctor which put me on a different med. There are times I could feel my food laying at the back of my throat. I have now had this feeling 24/7 for 10 days. I had the scope done which showed no problems or lumps in my esophagus. I left the hospital in tears because I'm not crazy there is something there. If the chest pains from the spasms aren't enough I have to deal with this unknown. I'm told to watch for a trigger. If thats the case everything triggers it because it's been non stop for 10 days. I really hope someone can shed some light on this because I hate the thought of having to live with this. I understand reflux can cause a multitude of issues, but this is insane to have a phantom issue. I hope your feeling better and can shed some light on this for me and everyone else that is having this issue.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

lucaski HB User

well, i have the same things, with spasms, etc...and my dentist suggested that i take a low dose valium to see what happens...well, it been a miracle, an absolute life saver....I had the burning tongue real bad, and the spasms....i feel fantastic....you may wnat to consult with your physician to see if they would consider trying that for you. I only tkae a 1/2 one in the morning and 1/2 on at night, still on prilosec, but plan on tapering off of it. good luck

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

HateGERD HB User

When I had that lump in throat feeling, I went to a ENT who said that the lump feeling for GERD/LPR sufferers is from the larynx spasming do to some stomach acid getting on it.

Once the larynx has been injuryed by the acid, it may spasm for some time afterwards (days).

HateGERD

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
(female)

lucaski HB User

that's why the valium helps this with the spasms...i wish you would just try a dose or two of it and see what happens...it was absolutely a miracle for me...and it does make sense, it calms down the spasm allowing the healing process to begin....trust it, i was in hell.....

Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

Lucaski, does the valium make you woozy at all? There is no way I could work in a fog with the job I do. There are times non drowsy meds make me sleepy too.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
(female)

lucaski HB User

if you take the lowest dose of valium - i took a 5 mg valium and broke it in half. My job is extremely busy and I am constantly juggling balls all the time and i did just fine. Look, try it = what have you got to lose., I cannot tell you how i felt when i woke the next morning after taking it at night and not having any acid film on my teeth, it felt like i had just brushed them - also, i had no reflux coming up, it was as if i had never had it....i just couldnt believe the difference. I do know that stress does bring this on, i do not get hearburn or stomach pains, but i do have the upper getting pains in the neck, spasms, vertigo, burping constantly,,,,it was just awful. but please, what have you got to lose---nothing...just try it, talk to your doctor, it really esopageal spasms going on and the valium really seems to calm it down,.,let me know how you make out. i feel like a new person. i went to a party the other night, and i ate (which I was very hesitatant) chicken parama, some salad with of all things, a thicken italian, I have been living on rice vinegar, which i do really love actually, i ate a little white french bread and i even had cake and coffee....and i was absolutely fine and the next morning as well...

GO FOR IT GIRL!!!! let me know.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
(female)

lucaski HB User

sorry about my spelling, in a hurry

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
(female)

acidrefluxsucks HB User

Hi I stumbled across this site and thread after another night of no sleep and looking for desperate answers on the net.
Il explain briefly as possible in may 2012 we had a party the next day for no apparent reason i couldnt swallow felt like there was a lump in my throat, tongue spams i thought i was dying, called an ambulance was told it was a panic attack !! but the panic attack never went away, 2 name but a few i have had blood tests, barium swallow tests,saliva tests, dental checks,throat ct, ultra sound endoscopy and today i had the surgical procedure with general anisthetic to have a good look, and nothing only results showed a narrowing in my throat and acid reflux. I have been on acid reflux medication since last year and i still have it at least 12 hours every day. Theres never a good day except ironiclly if i drink alchol which seems to soothe my throat. I lay and sleep in the most ridiculous positions to ease the horrible swallowing sensation. I get gurgiling and an indigestion type pain from my chest up to my mouth, and the constant need to swallow my saliva.; I have waited over a year to see a gastro consultant and im still on the waiting list. every doctor says its acid reflux during the operation today they could see the reflux rising up during the procedure. im in despair im on the strongest acid meds possible and still every day is a nightmare n 1 year i have lost a thriving company as i cant function night after night with no sleep, im too tired in the morning to do the school run my partner does it every day, then i nap throughout the day when it eases, this has wrecked my life i barely leave the house to go out, for a few months i was addicted to alchol as a pain relief but alchol is such a trigger for the acid that was a no win situation. All i want is to see a gastric doc yet it is impossible, the ent doc today thinks i will end up havin to have an operation to cure the reflux who knows. I am soo tired so run down and fed up of acid reflux in 1 year it has destroyed my life, i read the last post im calling the doctor tomorrow for vallium anything is worth a go ive tried everything else one more box of pills wont hurt. I currently take lansaprozole, loratadine,domperidone, gaviscon and anti depressants as this illness has made me depressed. im 30 years old with 2 beautiful children and due to this as a family we have no life there dad does everything, so vallium here i come if it gives me 1 day of relief im up for it, xx

Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #12
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

I have an appt with my doctor next week and will talk to him then. I have to say though, I am having second thoughts about the esophagus spasms because the gastro doc put me on meds that have done zero to help. My primary and gastro doc both said the spasms but my pain isn't vertical along my esophagus it's horizontal across my breast area and when I turn on my left side the pain starts and gets worse when I lift my arm up and put it across my husband. However with that said the other night I was laying down and sneezed and felt a very sharp pain approx 3in long directly between my breasts along my esophagus and it was the weirdest feeling along with horrible pain for a minute or two. I can tell exactly where the pain started and exactly stopped like it got to a point and shut off. Anyway I'm getting off track, I have not felt this pain to be along my esophagus but in a localized area on the inner side of my left breast and esophagus. Well last night I was laying down and felt something weird in my breast exactly where my pain has been from day one. My throat "lump" is still there full force for 3 weeks now. What I don't understand is that my doctor said its caused by a spasm. My question is this... Why is the "lump" there 24/7 and not just when I'm having a spasm? I would think I would feel a spasm. I'm sorry I went off in another direction..I wanted to thank you for the valium suggestion and I'm still going to talk with my doc next week after my Mammogram on Friday.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User

I'm sure we can all agree we hope you get some relief soon. We all know the feeling and it's disheartening when doctor after doctor either doesn't know what the problem is or tells you the problem can't be cured. I'm told I have esophageal spasms which trigger the "lump" however I recently read a post by someone that was told their esophageal spasms are triggering Laryngeal Spasms. I'm typically a healthy person so this is really frustrating. Hopefully the Valium will work for you

Closed Thread