It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

hrvioux HB User
Optimal Vitamin D levels for LPR patients?

Help! Does anyone know what the ideal Vit. D level is for those suffering with LPR? I have read that conventional levels (for normal people) are from 30-100, but that new studies show the more acurate levels to be between 50-70. My 5 year old son's level was tested and came back at 32.8. I expressed my concern about this to his pediatrician who replied that my son's level falls within the accepted range and thus, "it if ain't broke, don't fix it." I tried to discuss with him the importance of Vit. D levels in LPR patients, but I was written off again. Anyway, I know that my son's levels are probably low as a result of his meds (prilosec - 40 mg per day, zantac, 8 ml per day), and I know that there are a few natural remedies to consider. (We practically live outdoors, so we are definitely clearing the required 15 minutes of sunlight. Dairy products are not ideal with his reflux, but he does like to eat dry cereal that is fortified with Vit. D). Still, should he be taking a Vit D suppliment (other than the Children's Vitamins that he takes every day with 400 IU's of Vit D), or I am just going overboard with the whole thing?

Again, just trying to get more feedback than I could obtain from the pediatrician. Anyone's thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User
Re: Optimal Vitamin D levels for LPR patients?

There is a long thread about Vit D on the board... "Vit D and other things" something like that. I cannot say any big changes yet (LPR and bad fatigue, sleep issues, anxieties) but my level was 13 nl very low... many seem to think that hormone D is involved in neurological robustness in many functions from hormone regulation between organs to sphincter tone and more. Go for it -- but I don't know what a 5 yr old as opposed to adult needs... for adults I understand between 60 -- 80 is ideal through summer so if it falls it wont be terrible.. the idea is not to be low at end of summer... you can get up to 10k iu supps now... but also you apparently want to be careful to not go above, which can lead to similar effects of being too low...

The Following User Says Thank You to BrienE For This Useful Post:
hrvioux (03-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

garlicgal HB Usergarlicgal HB Usergarlicgal HB User

It might be helpful to look up lectures and videos by Dr. Stasha Gominak, a neurologist who has studied links between low D and all kinds of ailments, including sleep disorders, chronic pain and acid reflux. She recommends 60 to 80, although I don't know whether that applies to children. Her lectures are very easy to read -- they're meant for lay people -- and the video presentations are fascinating. Possibly you could even e-mail her. I know she has mentioned treating children.

She also has found that deficiencies in D and B12 go hand in hand. Acid-reducing drugs are known to put people at risk for B12 deficiency.

Good luck.
G

The Following User Says Thank You to garlicgal For This Useful Post:
hrvioux (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
(female)

hrvioux HB User

Garlicgal, thanks soooo much for your post! I will definitely be looking up the items you mentioned by Dr. Stasha Gominak, as well as attempting to email her (thanks for that suggestions!) I really cannot begin to express how much I appreciate having people like yourself pass along such valuable information! THANK YOU!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
(female)

hrvioux HB User

Brian, thanks so much for your post!!! Do you mind if I ask how you went about addressing your low Vit D level? Did you simply start taking Vit D suppliments and/or did you try to increase your level with other methods (more sunlight, more Vit D rich foods, etc?) Also, assuming your level has indeed increased, have you found it to make a significant improvement with your medical problems?

PS. Thanks for the tip on the Vit D thread! I totally missed that, but I'm off to read it now!!! Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
(male)

BrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB UserBrienE HB User

Hi there, not a problem.. after the 13 ng came back I was prescribed 50,000 iu D3 weekly. I've been taking that for about ten weeks now. I had a different panel done for lipids about 4 weeks into it, this panel also included D25 hydroxy, so I got to see some progress (and that I had actually been lowering cholesterol w/out a statin!). It was up to 36 at that time. I do not know if it's a straight line improvement or if progress slows, but it is possible for it to be into the 40s -- 50s by now I guess. My major issues were insomnia and the LPR stuff, and so far neither are much improved. I think I am having a case of a little forward progress, a little step back... ongoing with the sleep issues.

I've had a little correspondence with Dr Gominak and she suggested if I remember correctly, that despite the D being up to a more healthy level in a serum draw it could take much longer for the body to begin recognizing and using it again... my words, paraphrasing... so... keep going and see.... actually with only two left in the script I am going to let a little more time go by now to see if the mega repletion has in fact exacerbated poor sleep...

One person, you will see in the thread is very impressed with the D repletion and has done really well with it for LPR.

I'd like to test again soon and see where it stands, start on daily 4000 iu probably...

I'm hoping your son's situation improves, I imagine a whole lot of things are different in his case, 5 yrs... a lot of youth there to work with, fresh cells and lots of hope to correct things.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrienE For This Useful Post:
hrvioux (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
(female)

Hrvioux,

I do hope you get some answers and some help soon. By the way, you may notice that Dr. Gominak stresses the importance of using D3, NOT D2, which she says can make the condition worse.

Brien, that's a very interesting comment about a possible delay in uptake of Vitamin D. I assume you're also aware of B12 deficiency being related (sometimes) to D deficiency, and being implicated in insomnia.

Dr. G says it's sleep that cures, not Vitamin D, and that if all else fails, take medication to get a good night's sleep while you're waiting for the D to kick in. I'm hesitant to start down that road, but I do keep a prescription sedative (in an as-yet-unopened container) beside the bed. Just knowing that it's there seems to help!

G

The Following User Says Thank You to garlicgal For This Useful Post:
hrvioux (03-12-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
(male)

vina HB User

Garlicgal, have you got any relief with GERD by getting Vitamins?
My case is as follows-

Had chest pain in late January( was facing gas and flatulence but thought it is trivial), was slowly losing stamina and weight, My Doc diagnosed it as stomach infection gave me five day antibiotic with PPI, i was unable to eat anything due to severe acidity, unable to sleep in night. Completed my medicine but was having numbness in muscles and backpain( backpain started in December while running) my doc said it is ok but when my trouble increased( Weakness and dizziness) ordered Complete blood test. My vitamin D reading was 7 and B12 was 186. Do you think my GERD and GI can be because of Vitamin deficiency. I get panic attack due to chest pain. i request members to write here if their GERD and other GI trouble is healed by Vitamins.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
(female)

Vinayakbhave,

Seven is pretty shocking. I hope you're able to take megadoses of D to get those levels up. B12 deficiency seems to go along with D deficiency. I don't know whether getting to an optimal level (60 to 80) will "cure" LPR/GERD, but at least one person on this board (Eew) can testify to remarkable improvement.

What I have found is that I am sleeping much, much better with increased doses of B12 and D. As Dr. Stasha Gominak (Texas neurologist) points out, it's the sleep that cures, not the D. Not gonna happen overnight, though.

I am taking a variety of supplements, including mastic gum for Hpylori, and have seen great improvement. Did your doctor test you for this, as well? Maybe that was the "stomach infection" he diagnosed. Antiobiotics aren't always effective.

I highly recommend checking out Dr. Gominak's lectures on-line. Really eye-opening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garlicgal For This Useful Post:
hrvioux (04-01-2012), vina (04-01-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
(male)

vina HB User

Garlicgal

Thanks for prompt reply, yes it is shocking even for me as I am just 29 and with an active lifestyle. I am happy that I have found this board as I was feeling lonely and my doc as well as my wife were initially thinking that it is in my head or I have anxiety disorder.

Please keep me updated on your health as well, I have restarted exercise as I have gained some strength after two rounds of injections. By the way injection is Nurokind plus 1 amp dunno if the quantity is sufficient but I trust my Doc.

Thanks

Old 05-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
(male)

vina HB User

Garlicgal

Good news is that i am cured of reflux after two month of Vitamin D and B12 treatment, but i am not totally fit as i am getting severe headache along with other problem, i think treatment with vitamin D/B12 can cure Acid reflux in most of patients.

Just updated my status so that others who are still suffering from reflux may get some hope which i lacked when i was facing this problem

The Following User Says Thank You to vina For This Useful Post:
kraftpaper (10-11-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
(female)

Vina,

I am so glad to hear that you are better! I am feeling much better, too. I have been faithfully taking D, B12 and a few other supplements every day. Takes a while, apparently.

Good luck!
G

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
(male)

vina HB User

Garlicgal

How are you now? Are you doing any physical exercise along with vitamins and suppliments

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Just wondering how much vitamin D and B12 you're taking? I had my vitamin D levels checked last summer and it was 30. Doctor didn't seem too concerned but when I saw all these threads about vitamin D and LPR I decided to try it (doctor basically said to go ahead--couldn't hurt). I've only been doing 1000mg D3 along with a little bit that I get in my multivitamin.
Just curious what your regimen is...
Thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
(female)

Hi folks,
Vina, yes, I try to walk as many days as possible, and gardening season is upon us now -- lots of exercise there. I recently discovered a brand of aloe vera juice with no citric acid, and I really think that is helping me feel a lot better. Plus I'm still on a non-acidic regimen, and am religious about not eating within a couple of hours of bedtime.

Sorry about the headaches. Could that be migraines? I sometimes get sinus headaches in the early morning, probably from the ups and downs of the barometric pressure. Weather is so changeable here. Have you had your D level checked recently? How much are you taking?

Sallyz, I'm following Dr. Stasha Gominak's advice (she's the Texas neurologist who has done a lot of research on Vitamin D -- you can look up her videos and texts of her lectures on-line). She recommends 4,000-5,000 i.u.s daily just to maintain the same level. I think she meant in fall-winter-spring. She also suggests the 60 to 80 range as the optimal level. You might also want to check out the Vitamin D Council.

Closed Thread