It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

littlemiss6 HB User
GERD due to a hiatal hernia....just some questions

Hello,

I went to the ER in Nov. 2011 after I was having chest pains (mostly on the right side), and a weird feeling where my stomach meets my esophagus. Stress test/labs were normal and I ended up seeing a gastro. in January. He said my symptoms sounded like heartburn and prescribed 20 mg omeprazole, which worked for about a month. The Dr. wanted an upper endoscopy done as well since he wanted to know why this was happening. It turns out I have a small hiatal hernia, which is why this is happening. I found this out a few days ago. I thought small hiatal hernias were not problematic.

Prior to the endoscopy, everything became worse. I often feel like I have a canker sore in my mouth, my mouth has an awful taste, I can no longer eat any tomato products or spicy food, my throat constantly hurts, and eating anything aside from yogurt and milk is bothersome to my body. I am currently "testing" other foods to see which ones are problematic but it seems to be everything. My eyes are also burning, I have a runny nose, and my ears sometimes hurt.

I am worried about tooth enamel being affected, so I bought the pro-namel toothpaste. I cut out caffeine from my diet (I only had a cup of coffee a day) and I am chewing sugar free fruit flavored gum when the taste in my mouth is bad or after a meal. I am trying to chew my food more thoroughly as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I read somewhere about taking digestive enzymes prior to eating (or after) to help aid digestion.

What can I do about the burning eyes, ears, and nose? I guess I am just looking to see what others have done to address GERD. I feel like I cannot eat anything.

I am 33 years old, not overweight, I don't smoke, rarely drink, and I don't eat a lot of junk. When I was able to eat, I generally ate low sugar oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and yogurt for lunch, and nuts, fruit, pretzels, or crackers for a snack.

I will also go and read the threads to see if I can find anything out. I have to call and schedule my follow-up with the Dr., he wanted to see me in 3 months. I am going to try and get in earlier.

I am taking a multi-vitamin, Vit. D3, and Calcium 1x a day.

Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to littlemiss6:
janewhite1 (03-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: GERD due to a hiatal hernia....just some questions

Oh, been there, done that!

SOME people have hiatal hernias and no symptoms, others can develop bad reflux, especially if the valve at the top of the stomach (the lower esophageal sphincter) is weak.

I personally find gum made me worse by causing my stomach to produce more acid. You are already taking a PPI, you could add something like Gaviscon, which is available over the counter. And you've changed your diet, that's also good.

There are other lifestyle changes. Eat small meals and eat slowly, don't eat before bed. Sit up straight, especially during and after eating, and maintain good posture. Avoid bending over or doing exercises that place pressure on the abdomen, such as sit-ups. And, if you can, get some blocks and elevate the head of your bed at least 6 inches.

As far as the sinuses, try rinsing them with saline. You can buy a squeeze bottle or neti pot in the drugstore.

And hang in there!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: GERD due to a hiatal hernia....just some questions

Littlemiss welcome to Gerds life as I call it I am now 39 I've had this for 8 years but did not start treating it until just a few years ago big mistake cause I just got scoped a few months ago and now I have Barrett's anyways enough about me foods good to eat for me and everyone is different the trigger foods are always different for everyone of course the are the acidy one but for me bananas rice applesauce toast are all good ones for me the runny nose I still haven't figured out why tha happens the sore throat just means your throat needs to heal and I almost guarantee that everyone with gerds has been to urgent care or the ER atleast once I have been just a few years ago I was sure I was dying of chest pain hmmmm nope I would definitely recommend a probiotic or if you like Chlorella or spirulina are also very good bubbly drinks with dinner will help with food not getting stuck and or apple cider vinegar is helpful for any fire in your throat also honey is awesome for some throat coating protection after dinner well I'm sure there's more but that will get you started don't feel alone funny story my wife who really has never had a problem with ate a few to many pickles just last night and a little to late at night and was dying with fire in her throat woke me up and said am I having a heart attack anyways long story short she had a bad case of heartburn so she has a little more sympathy for me now oh yeah and don't eat atleast 4 hour prior to bed I am in the same boat as you I'm 39 6 ft 200 lbs I work outdoors and are in pretty good shape you might want to find out if it run in the family also

Closed Thread

Tags
gerd, hiatal hernia, omeprazole