HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Back pain and reflux or ulcer? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/892663-back-pain-reflux-ulcer.html)

Prezactly 03-10-2012 04:33 PM

Back pain and reflux or ulcer?

I overindulged a week or so ago, had plenty of food and some adult beverages on top of that.

I woke up the next morning and the muscle between the spine and left shoulder blade mid-back was sore as sore can be. Also had burning pain in the chest to the left of the sternum to solar plexus. Seems OK after I get some sleep at night, but starts right back up after I get up. OK until I eat something, then it starts getting worse. Put myself on Prilosec x 1 a day and since it got bad it seems to be getting a little better every day, but not much.

I don't smoke, have a normal weight, and drink only occasionally (not benders, just 4-5 drinks/week sporadically).

Any help or thoughts from folks that may have experiences like this too would be nice. I have occasional panic issues (got it pretty much under control, but still not fun) and of course the nagging pain isn't doing any favors.

janewhite1 03-11-2012 08:09 PM

Re: Back pain and reflux or ulcer?

Well, it may take a few weeks for it to settle down fully. Things that may speed healing are:

-No alcohol or coffee.

-Avoid spicy or acidic foods, including things like tomatoes or oranges.

-Eat small meals and stop eating at least a couple hours before bed.

Prezactly 03-13-2012 07:02 PM

Good advice, I'm doing those things already. Will see if the doc can see me to verify and see if more testing is needed.

grubby2day 10-08-2012 05:43 AM

Hi. Wondering if you were able to find a resolution for this. I've had the EXACT same symptoms, usually after over-doing it. Started about a year ago - took Prilosec and got better but would occur off and on once or twice a month but clear up quickly. Started up again about 3 weeks ago and has not stopped unless I get on a very strict diet of small meals - yogurt/smoothies seem to work best but if I step out of line at all the pain returns for hours or days. One other thing, I burp alot - even after a sip of water. Not sure if related but probably is. THanks.

Prezactly 09-01-2013 08:25 PM

Bit late to the party, but I hate it when threads leave no resolution.

In the end, it took a diet change and a change to my eating habits to fix the problem. It was quite painful for a while there. Things I learned?

I like having a bit of chocolate, maybe an adult beverage in the evening. I also like mint tea, so I might have a mug of that before bed. Maybe some cheese and crackers for a late snack.

ALL of these things are bad.

The tea, chocolate and alcohol all worsen stomach acid and/or relax the muscle that keeps food from heading back up the esophagus. Add to that mix a habit of indulging in a late snack of some sort (you know, drink a beer or have a glass of wine and you get the munchies) and I was setting myself up for repeated torture of my stomach and esophagus.

I rarely eat after 6PM now. Booze/beer/wine I don't have after 7. I do make exceptions when I'm out, I just make sure to take an antacid and drink plenty of water to reduce the liklihood of damage. No mint tea or chocolate in the evenings.

I also fought it with prilosec, zantac, mylanta and tums. Prilosec began to make me feel ill after a while, so I switched to zantac. Worked great. Initially I started with Mylanta to kill the worst of the hurt, that did a great job, but it gives you diarrhea. After things got better, I would just take a couple tums with water after a meal. Now, I don't need to take anything at all. Just watch what I'm doing and drink plenty of water.

Edit: Is suppose I should say that this took several months to clear up ( about 2.5, if I remember right), and I also went to a gastroenterologist and got scoped. Nothing wrong inside, so it was all up to me to fix.