It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
(female)

vaca78 HB User
LPR? Bad sore throat... Need relief.

My ENT thinks I have LPR. He saw swollen/red areas around the vocal cords when scoped. That, along with my terrible sore throat, throat clearing and hoarseness, supports this diagnosis. He put me on Prilosec 40mg 2x/day and tums. I also had a GI endoscopy done to rule anything else out. Results were fine except he saw very minor reflux in the lower esophagus from the biopsy.

So here I am, 2 1/2 months later. The throat clearing and hoarseness are practically gone but I can get rid of this sore throat. It feels like it's burning at times but mostly it is just really sore. I also have feelings of my neck being "full", if that makes any sense, and sometimes food gets caught when swallowing. We did try a round of steroids to see if that would calm the inflammation and make my throat feel better but it did not help. The GI guy wants to switch my proton pump inhibitor but I have read that they are all relatively similar in efficacy.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do for symptomatic relief of the sore throat or what their doctor has suggested? Has anyone else experienced this? I think LPR takes a while to treat, but I just can't stand not having a minute of relief from the sore throat. BTW, I am doing diet modification to remove acidic foods from my diet. I have become progressively more aggressive on this.

Thank you!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
(male)

miserablewiththis HB Usermiserablewiththis HB User
Re: LPR? Bad sore throat...Need relief.

just hold on there
it needs time
we are all on the same boat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
(male)

jjmcv HB User
Re: LPR? Bad sore throat... Need relief.

Yeah misery loves company so be happy knowing we're all in the same crappy boat. Try drinking some hot herbal tea, that usually gives my throat some temporary relief.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Two things:

I would check you vitamin D levels. Anything under 65 and I would take supplements. My level was 19. I have been taking a liquid D supplement under my tongue and it has helped.

Also.

Gaviscon Asdvance from the UK. The bottle says it cures sore
throats associated with reflux.

I have suffered for 6 years with LPR. Same symptoms as you. I started taking it about 3 weeks and I do feel better.

However, I am not sure if I am being cured or if my symptoms are just being relieved.

Time will tell.

Last edited by kevinla; 03-29-2012 at 10:59 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
(male)

jjmcv HB User

Kevinla,

How does one check their Vitamin D levels? I'm scheduled for an endoscopy first week of May - assuming that would be the time? Or can I have my ENT do it when I visit next week?

And thanks for the tip. Cheers!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcv View Post
Kevinla,

How does one check their Vitamin D levels? I'm scheduled for an endoscopy first week of May - assuming that would be the time? Or can I have my ENT do it when I visit next week?

And thanks for the tip. Cheers!
Blood test.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
(male)

jjmcv HB User

Sorry for all the questions -

Is that something that's routinely tested for in a bloodtest? I had blood work done when I first started having issues, curious if I could just ask my doc to look over those results again or if I need to be tested again.

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

I am pretty sure the test needs to be asked for.

Why not give your doctor's office a call and ask to speak to a nurse and to look at your blood work.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
(female)

tampopo HB User

For inflammation of the throat, I had 2 rounds of antibiotics and it didn't help. And anti biotics trigger off the reflux. So i tried chinese antibiotics called "pian zai huang" which i got it from a reputable medicine hall.. I took once in the morning and once at night, my sore throat is gone within 5 days.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

How much did you take and for how long?

Last edited by Administrator; 08-08-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

I get that awful sore throat too. I notice mine is worse after eating something fatty and especially almonds. This has been going on for over twenty years and the only thing that helps me is stopping the almonds or fatty foods. I hope this helps somewhat.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
(female)

Motzka HB User

I'm just wondering if Vaca78 found resolution for the sore throat. I'm going through the same thing - it's been 16 weeks of hell. I'm now off work because I can't talk without pain (no good when you're a teacher). I've been on Losec x40 twice a day for ten weeks (along with Gaviscon and Mylanta) and it did nothing. I would love to hear a happy ending story.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
(female)

anotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB Useranotherpatty HB User

Motzka-
Hopefully someone can help those with the sore throat issue. It is awful. I lose my voice all the time too - it was really bad when I used to teach classes and I could barely talk at all There were about 4 weeks when the problem of my voice problem was much better (not 100% but much better) - it was when I did a gluten free diet in addition to stopping almonds and cashews or other fatty nuts. Once I stopped the gluten free it all came back. Milk bothers it tool. Hopefully someone has some other information to help.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
(female)

Motzka HB User

Hi, thanks for that.
My diet is gluten free, vegan, and mostly raw. No help so far. I'm on my third day of vegetable juice fasting to see if that will bring some relief.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
(female)

tampopo HB User

Does it mean ppl with sore throat = LPR?

perhaps my GI doc doesnt know about this term cos he say im having GERD. But like you all im often down with sore throat and lots of mucus in my throat.

Reply Reply

Tags
lpr (laryngopharyngeal reflux), reflux