It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
(male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User
Re: Why don't even gastroenterologists know the cause?

I went to two different gastroenterologists, each of them twice. They did an endoscopy, said I was fine, and take a PPI. The doctors did not seem to care when I explained how much the reflux bothered me.

I continued to struggle with reflux. Finally I went to the Heart Burn Clinic at Hancock Regional Hospital. They gave my an ambulatory pH test and my reflux was severe.

A year ago I had a TIF, am off PPIs and am much better. Mine suggestion is to look for a heart burn clinic.

Sheldon

Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

The thing is will LPR is that virtually no one gets heartburn. I'm guessing that would make a difference as to who can go to a heartburn clinic?? But good you're much better.

Jude

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
(female)

gtnbtr HB User

Have you tried taking 6mg of melatonin every night? I think that has helped me. I have taken it for about 3 months, and am finally feeling some relief.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtnbtr For This Useful Post:
MeltingInerds (04-14-2012)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Will have to do a search on melatonin. If only they could find out why it happens and how to help us.

Thank from me

J

Last edited by JudeNZ; 04-13-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #20
(male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User

I seldom had heart burn but I had other signs of reflux. The heart burn clinic took me because of my symptoms. A better name for the heart burn clinic should probably be reflux clinic. The pH test showed the extent of my reflux problem and they did my pH test. I don't understand why the ambulatory pH test is not used more for diagnosis.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I don't understand why the ambulatory pH test is not used more for diagnosis.
For GERD, it is definitely the most accurate test. However, barium swallow or endoscopy can be used to diagnose other conditions, as well, including more immediately dangerous ones such as cancer. It's also fairly expensive and pretty inconvenient for the patient. Finally, very few clinics and not all hospitals perform the test.

So, they generally scope first, to check for dangerous stuff, then treat you presumptively for GERD, or (if the symptoms don't sound that bad) start drug therapy first. Ambulatory pH studies are usually performed only with people who have very bothersome symptoms that aren't responding well to drugs, OR in people considering surgery for reflux, who need to be very sure of the diagnosis.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #22
(male)

MeltingInerds HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by winghall View Post
Have you had any emotional turmoil prior to the onset of the reflux?
Yes, in fact I hesitate to mention it (even to the doctor) because it's almost a cliche. But I had the worst 2 years of my life before this happened - the most incredible stress and event which caused a deep depression.

I'm afraid to mention that too often because it seems to be blamed for everything - and then I still never find out the precise cause. I did Google searches on stress and acid reflux before I went to the doctor. It seemed like what I read says that stress (and diet) can exacerbate the symptoms, but aren't the actual root cause. Still, I am going to try and start meditating to relax more and calm my mind.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
(female)

winghall HB User

Hi MeltingInerds,
Same here. Before the onset I went through ( and I too, hesitate to mention) a dramatic event for 1-2 years. It's over now but the reflux has not gone away. I, too, have turned to meditation - partly I am a Buddhist.
I do believe in the interconnectedness between the mind and body. I think it is more how we react to the event. For that I still have to learn. Hang in there. It will be over one day.

The Following User Says Thank You to winghall For This Useful Post:
MeltingInerds (04-18-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
(female)

momof5kidz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
In some people, the LES is very weak. It looks OK, but it doesn't tighten the way it should. No one knows why this occurs, but it is believed to be a neuromuscular problem.
That's interesting; hadn't heard of it but will be doing research on the topic...

I was 'almost' dx with MS around 3 years ago; wonder if there's any correlation to the GERD/LES valve??

Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
(female)

momof5kidz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
For GERD, it is definitely the most accurate test. However, barium swallow or endoscopy can be used to diagnose other conditions, as well, including more immediately dangerous ones such as cancer. It's also fairly expensive and pretty inconvenient for the patient. Finally, very few clinics and not all hospitals perform the test.

So, they generally scope first, to check for dangerous stuff, then treat you presumptively for GERD, or (if the symptoms don't sound that bad) start drug therapy first. Ambulatory pH studies are usually performed only with people who have very bothersome symptoms that aren't responding well to drugs, OR in people considering surgery for reflux, who need to be very sure of the diagnosis.
I was told at the hospital where I had 3 diagnostic tests at that individuals contemplating the fundoplication surgery almost always are required to endure the ph impedance and/or the esophageal manometry test to ensure their esophagus is working correctly. The traditional Nissen fundoplication involves a 360-degree wrap, which is fairly snug...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
(female)

Soonerchick HB User

I'm going through the same thing. I can't hardly sleep because of it. I've got that sour taste and bits of food coming up while i'm standing up...it's so bad. I've tried everything.

So, Sorry you're dealing with the same thing.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

I feel your pain. I was "healthy" until about 3 months ago and now my throat and tongue are constantly on fire and I can't sleep at night. I'm going to a Gastroenterologist today.

Closed Thread