It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
PPI's and Insomnia

Have LPR now for about 6 weeks , getting better but having trouble with adjusting to the PPI's.

Have been very frustrated by the side effects of insomnia with Nexium, Prevacid and now Losec. Seems all these interfere with my ability to sleep.

Tried taking Nexium and Prevacid with a earlier LPR issue at bedtime and had terrible dreams, nightmares lousy sleep so quit taking the 2nd dose for awhile. However it did seem to help my symptoms so would like to figure out a dosing schedule that works and I can sleep as well.

Any advice? My doc has me taking 2X 20mg Losec now plus pepcid at bedtime. I am a long time taker of pepcid and have no issues with sleeping on it. Seems all the PPI's have this effect on me. I quit them for a week last week and took 3X40mg pepcid/famotidine a day , slept well but could feel my LPR regressing.

No doubt the PPI's are helping but even taking my last dose of Losec at 3 pm yesterday it interfered with my falling sleep, finally got about 3 hrs sleep. Doc game me a few sleeping pills but don't like taking them if I don't have to.

Is the greatest benefit from PPI's during the day when we are eating? Could I take on at 7 a.m and another at say 12 or 1 pm to try to reduce it's impact on sleep or would that screw up its effect on eating say at supper time? I never eat after my last meal around 5:30 until bedtime. Sleep on a wedge.

Suggestions? Pills work well but the side effects are a pain. Thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: PPI's and Insomnia

Guess not many folks having trouble with insomnia and PPI's. Fortunately it seems omaprazole/Losec does not create the problems for me that I had with Nexium and Prevacid. Finally getting some sleep.

Odd though if you go to some of the side effects reported in clinical trials of the PPI's vivid dreams and sleep issues are reported. Guess it is a small group. We are all a little different in our reactions to drugs.

Closed Thread