It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

lulu23 HB Userlulu23 HB User
Help Coming Off Prilosec

I was on Prilosec (20 mg/day) for 4 weeks to treat gastritis. The doctor told me to stay on it for 6-8 weeks but after 4 I started having side effects that made me feel worse than the actual gastritis. Stool testing confirmed that it was severely impacting my ability to digest protein which was most likely causing the side effects.

I stopped the Prilosec cold turkey which I realize now was probably not the *best* idea but I was so desperate to feel better. Anyway, it's been 8 days since stopping and I still feel awful.. I was told to switch from Prilosec to an H2 agonist like pepcid, tagamet, etc. Unfortunately that whole category of drugs seems to makes me dry heave so I can't take any of them.

I'm trying to manage the crazy acid with antacids, DGL, l-glutamine, probiotics, and a bland diet, but I still feel really crummy. Does anyone have any other suggestions/remedies to get through the "acid storm?" Also, how long after coming off of Prilosec did the acid calm down?

I'm literally starting to get depressed. I haven't felt like myself since January, I hardly have any appetite and it's affecting every aspect of my life. I'm starting to think I'll never feel like myself again.

Thank you,

Lulu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Help Coming Off Prilosec

Yikes, sorry to hear about your difficulties.

You might find that Gaviscon or liquid Mylanta works better to ease the burning, and you could ask your doctor for a prescription for liquid Carafate. It's expensive and has to be taken at the right time, but it does a great job of coating the stomach and allowing it to heal. Definitely bland diet. Cook your vegetables and avoid fats.

There isn't too much data on how long it takes for rebound pain to end after quitting. When I had to quit cold turkey, it took about a month for the rebound to settle down, but I was on a higher dose for a longer time. (Now, I'm back on, long story.)

Eventually, it will end. Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

winghall HB User

Hi,
The rebound lasted about 4 weeks when I weaned off Nexium. It was like constant burning. After 4 weeks, the symptoms were a bit better. I am now on week 3 of taking Somac (Pantoprazol). When I was buying Gaviscon last week, I talked to a lady in the Pharmacy and she told me that Nexium stopped working for her after 4 years, so I was not the only one !. She is now on Paviet (Rabeprazol) after a period of trying to see which PPI works for her.
It looks like Somac does not work for me because after more than 16 days my symptoms are the same.
I understand very much how you feel as I am feeling the same. I try to be positive and do not dwell so much on the symptoms. There must be some light at the end of the tunnel. Take Gavisone. I did try apple Cider Vinegar in desperation but it did not seemed to help.
==============
Hi Janewhite1

Do you still suffered from acid reflux?. Are your symptoms under control? If so, how?
Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
(male)

miserablewiththis HB Usermiserablewiththis HB User

any one here has stopped PPI successfuly ?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Yep. I was on Nexium 40 mg once a day. It took about three weeks of taking zantac 150 twice a day but it did happen. Now I'm just staying on the Zantac 150 twice a day to see what happens. I really did struggle for those three weeks though.
Just a thought--if the tums/gaviscon variety of antacids makes you constipated (like me)--use with caution as this made my reflux worse (being constipated that is).
Hope you feel better!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
(female)

NSchrieber HB User
Lightbulb Re: Help Coming Off Prilosec

Quote:
Originally Posted by miserablewiththis View Post
any one here has stopped PPI successfuly ?
Hello, there!

I have been on Omeprazole for about 15-16 months, I started with 40mg once a day and then after about 8 months I dropped it to 20mg once a day. I have noticed that in the year that I took it I gained 30 lbs and I decided to get off of it completely. I stopped taking it on 10/27/12 (I know it has only been 4 days) but I feel GREAT!!! The first day I had a tiny bit of heartburn because right after breakfast I layed down to watch TV. As long as I remain sitting or standing or doing something after meals I no longer have heartburn. THe next best thing was NO MORE BLOATING!! It was killing me, it was so painful, and these last 4 days have been a blessing in that department. Now I watch what I eat, foods that do not produce acid at all, or very little. You can google that information. I also eat in smaller portions and have signed up for the gym. My digestion has already improved, and I can only hope I will lose the darn love handles inherited while on Omeprazole.
I expected hearburn to come back with a vengance after I got off my PPI but so far with good diet and exercise I am thriving.

I hope this is helpful to you all!!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

Nschrieber:

I am ment to start Omeprazole tommorw for 6 weeks.

The ENT said I have abit of acid coming up my throat and its quite red/swollen.

Ive been feeling nauses, sore throat, trouble swallowing, heart pounding when I eat and keep having to swallow spit so I went to see ENT.

Can I expect my problems above to be solved in these 6 weeks what other side effects can I expect though?

Reply Reply