It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
(male)

cipher666 HB User
Unhappy Up and afraid to go back to bed

I've been getting acid reflux at night -- wakes me up, usually before the foul bile like stuff is actually in my mouth. It happens with certainty if I eat a late meal, have a larger than normal portion and the food is fried. I am not sure if I am especially sensitive to milk products, such a as a large ice cream eaten late. I am only slightly overweight. Tonight (it is a little after midnight), I awoke and I could taste my dinner (eaten at 7:30 p.m.). I went to the bathroom and took out eveything I had on hand: Tums 750, Zantac and Prisolec. The Prisolec expired in 2009 but the Zantac was pretty new. I have never taken Prisolec or Zantac before. I went on the web and didn't particularly care for what I read about side effects of these 2 medications. However, Tums seem to not do the trick. But i took 3 of the Tums 750s and am sitting here waiting to go to sleep. I am really afraid to go back to sleep because I know I will wake up later this night with the same problem. I have a big meeting tomorrow and do not want to be sleep deprived -- but here I am. Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User
Re: Up and afraid to go back to bed

I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I try not to eat after 7:00 and take two tums right before bed, one omerprozole in the morning. Two nights ago I was awoken around 2:00 with that disgusting acidy bile coming up the back of my throat. Now, I'm so leary of it happening again that bedtime causes great stress for me. I've been sleeping with several pillows under my head ramped down so that I'm not breaking my neck. If I wake up around 4:00 and haven't refluxed, I feel I'm home free and can sleep the rest of the night. I am sorry to hear you're going through this, but glad to hear that I am not the only person with GERDS that has this. There are so many scary things associated with GERDS that it's hard to know what's to be expected. O've had heartburn for years, but the refluxing of acidy bile is something that I've only had within the last year. It happens about once a month, for no apparent reason and each time it scares the heck out of me. Now, try to get some sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
(male)

cipher666 HB User

Thank you for caring -- I am up now at 6:30 a.m. and very tired. No more experience last night with the problem but cannot sleep. So I am fuzzy headed for meeting this morning. btw, this was my first post and response; how nice to see someone out there cares and that I am not suffering alone. At this moment, my thought is to try to change my diet. No acidic foods. I read in this site that low carb can really help. So it flies in the face of timid foods like breads, etc. So don't really have closure on that. Any thoughts? Thanks again for writing.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Ah, the great Diet Question. Definitely stay away from coffee, high-fat foods, spices and alcohol, they seem to be bad for most of us.

Beyond that, some people (including me) do best on a real bland diet, with bread, rice, cooked veggies and a little lean meat. There are very few fruits I can tolerate. Other people find that starch is a trigger and do best with lots of fruits and veggies. Try both, see what works for you.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
(male)

cipher666 HB User

Sounds pretty grim, like a military or prison diet. I am very motivated to be attentive to what works and doesn't and be less cavalier than I have been. I am also not wanting to get on to a medication. I just got off Lexapro after years on that (a month ago) and off Ambien (sleeeping - 4 months ago) and want to be free of all drugs. It occurred to me that perhaps stopping Lexpro has had an impact on my GI tract but do not think so. But who know? I appreciate your comment. Thank you again.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, it doesn't have to be grim. And it's not always permanent. When I have a bad flareup, I follow a very strict diet just for a few days, until I start to feel better. Then I gradually add more foods as tolerated.

Closed Thread

Tags
heartburn acid reflux