It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: LPR Treatment with GABA

Betaine HCL helps some people but not everyone.

Sometimes (most often in older folks) reflux is caused by low acid. Sometimes it's caused by too much acid. But very often people with reflux have a normal amount of stomach acid, and the problem is a mechanical issue allowing the stomach acid to wind up in the esophagus, where it doesn't belong.

If HCL helps, then your problem may be low stomach acid rather than too much stomach acid, and you should probably keep taking it.

If you try it once, and it hurts, then your problem is NOT low stomach acid, it's one of the other causes, and it won't help you.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #32
(female)

JasraL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisasc View Post
Hi JasraL. I have been taking the GABA at night only. I am symptom-free for about 5 minutes in the morning, and then when I sip some water it all comes back, sadly. I am disappointed in the results. I haven't yet scheduled the Ph study; I wanted to try a few other things first, and it has to be performed at the hospital, not an outside facility. Where would I find this Betaine L? And, tell me again what dose you take, and how many times a day. I am certainly willing to try it. Also, which digestive enzymes are you on?
@Lisasc -- I take a digestive enzyme supplement (not sure if I can mention a specific brand name on this site but it's an online supplier) but they are capsules and they contain the following:
• Bromelain (from pineapple)
• Papain (from papaya fruit)
• Protease 4.5 (from Asperilla oryzae)
• Amylase (from Asperilla oryzae)
• Lipase (from Asperilla N.)
• Protease 4.5 (from Asperilla oryzae)
• Lactase (from Asperilla oryzae)
• Cellulase (from Trichoderma longbrachiatum)
• Hemicellulase (from Asperilla N.)
I've seen these type of enzymes on sale in our local health food shop, sort of near the vitamin section, but it seems that different brands have different combinations of the enzymes (some with more, some with less), but they are available. On my bottle, it says to take two capsules before meals, and that's what I've been doing. To be honest, I didn't think that they were helping much until I ran out and got a bit sniffly for the next day or two until I started them back up again. And then I was fine again.

The basic enzymes and their specific functions are as follows: amylase digests starches; cellulose digests fibers; lactase digests dairy products; lipases digest fats, oils and triglycerides; maltase digests starch and grains; proteases digest proteins; and sucrose digests sugars. I think the theory is that any means of accelerating the stomach's emptying of food may well reduce the volume of stomach acid and lessen irritation along the digestive tract.

The Betaine Hydrochloride I also get from an online health food store (it's more convenient for me for online stuff as I live in a rural area) and it also seems to come in different strengths from different manufacturers. The tablets I take contain 625mg of Betaine Hydrochloride with 165mg of Pepsin (1:3,000). I normally take two of these tablets before eating a normal meal, 3 tablets if the meal contains a lot of protein and fat. To find out what dose I needed to take was just a bit of trial and error. I took one tablet to start, then the next meal took two, then the next meal took three. Three tablets with a normal meal caused my stomach to feel a bit 'warm' (is how I would describe it) so at my next meal, I went back down to two tablets and stayed with that dosage. I take three tablets only when I know the meal has a lot of protein and fat to digest (like when I eat a large steak, for example).

I take these tablets right before I eat meals, so that's three times a day. I don't take them with my mid-morning snack as it's normally fruit (usually a banana.) I take the enzymes and the Betaine at the same time.

I would not recommend Betaine Hydrochloride to anyone that has been diagnosed with any type of stomach ulcers, and my bottle does say on its label 'do not take this supplement if you have been diagnosed with peptic or duodenal ulcers'. And as janewhite1 said in the previous post, if you try one tablet once, and it hurts, don't take it. I wasn't sure if it was going to work for me, but I tried it and it did and I'm glad. It won't be the solution for everyone, but I was so desperate in wanting to breathe normally again that I was willing to give it a shot. Like I said in an earlier post, I not only had horrible sinus symptoms and coughing, but also asthma. A scientific study I read by a Dr. Bray found that 88% of the asthmatic children in his clinical study group had hypochlorhydria or low stomach acid--I think that's probably been my problem all along as I had my first bout with asthma at age 2.

My digestive enzymes don't have any warning on the label except the standard 'if you are pregnant or lactating, consult a health care professional before using this product,' but I think pretty much every supplement/vitamin/medication has that as a warning.

If you do try the enzymes and/or the Betaine, Lisasc, let us know how it goes with you. I've got a few more weeks to wait before going back to see my doctor to see if I can reduce my asthma meds, but (fingers crossed) so far so good. It's still working for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
(female)

yolee HB User

Hi JasraL,
Just wondering if this is still working for you and what your symptoms were before you started these? Also can you eat whatever you want now?

Thanks
Yolee

Old 11-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
(female)

JasraL HB User

Sorry for the late reply, Yolee. But, yes, this is still working for me. Thanksgiving dinner was full of protein, fats, sugars... just took my Betaine HCL and the enzymes and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Ate a little of everything and felt fine.

Before I started taking the Betaine HCL and the enzymes, I had all sorts of symptoms--like asthma with a cold (wheezing, runny nose, post nasal drip, tightness in the chest, coughing, raspy voice/sore throat that would come and go, lots of congestion in both the nose and the chest) and this went on for months. Now that I think about it, it had probably been going on for years, but as it was off and on I just put it down towards allergies or colds or asthma flare-ups. Now, I don't have ANY of those symptoms. It's even a bit hard to remember how awful I felt before I started taking the Betaine and enzymes.

Whenever I have a meal that has a lot of protein in it, I take the Betaine HCL and enzymes. If I'm eating mostly veggies and starch, I cut down on the Betaine or sometimes only take the enzymes. No congestion, no runny noses, no coughing, no wheezing. I feel 'normal'.

I did, at one point, purchase some GABA and tried it at night to see if it made any difference. I can't say that it did. But the Betaine and enzymes most certainly did! Still taking them, might be for life, but if I can breathe and eat normal food then it's worth it to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to JasraL For This Useful Post:
yolee (11-26-2012)
Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #35
(male)

Jonathon75 HB User

Any updates?? I'm a classical musician and for a little over a year have been battling reflux. It is high in my throat. I'm raspy and cannot sing. When I cut out high acid foods it seems to get manageable but barely. I don't think I could sing in public anytime soon. I know I can't. I thought it was lpr but I want to try the pepsin tablets. Curious as to why the comments just stopped... Any new updates?

Reply Reply

Tags
gabapentin, lpr