It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

Lisasc HB User
Question LPR Treatment with GABA

Been battling this so called diagnosis of LPR ("silent reflux") for several months, since Thanksgiving really. So I guess that's around 6 months. At first it was diagnosed as a sinus infection, but it quickly became clear that it wasn't. I have never had stomach issues or heartburn. What I do have is a constant terrible taste in my mouth, blobs of mucus in my throat that I can neither spit out or swallow (it's just always there), and highly diminished senses of taste and smell. I have given up caffeine, alcohol, fats, and just about everything else that makes life fun. I have also been on PPI's (Dexilant) and Zantac (300mg) for months...with little to no resolution. This was all prescribed by the ENT. Went to GI and had endoscopy with biopsy. He reported NO EVIDENCE of reflux, even at the microscopic level and says its an ENT issue. Well, now I don't know who to listen to since each one sends me back to the other. I have decided to ween myself off the PPI but continue the Zantac (why I don't know since it doesn't do anything for me). Last night I took a GABA for another reason, and think it may be a little better this morning. I only take GABA as needed for a neck problem but now and wondering if it would be useful for my problem. What I don't like about the idea is that it probably treats the symptom, not the cause. But, if it can relax things long enough to heal the supposed swelling in my larynx which causes the unbelievable build-up of mucus (puddling) in my throat, wouldn't that be enough reason right there to give it a go? Anyone out there try this for an extended period of time? Anxious to hear if anyone has had success treating this problem in any other way as well!! Thanks All.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: LPR Treatment with GABA

It has been suggested that some LPR patients actually have a form of neuropathy. Basically, you get a sore throat, then the nerves get damaged and the pain just keeps going. Drugs like GABA can actually reverse this process.

Now, a microscopic examination of the esophagus is not always the best way to rule out reflux. All that means is that you don't have esophageal damage, and many people have reflux without a damaged esophagus.

You can talk to the doctor about trying GABA for a while. If that doesn't work, you could go back to the GI and try tests such as a barium swallow. (I gotta tell you, it took me 3 GIs to find one who actually wanted to pursue my symptoms rather than just keeping me on the unhelpful PPIs forever and not doing anything else. Of course, I had stomach pain and indigestion as well as throat symptoms.)

Old 05-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

Lisasc HB User

Thanks Jane. Current GI absolutely doesn't want to even entertain that this problem has anything to do with his area. My "gut" (no pun intended) tells me he is wrong. I believe that the ENT is correct. That said, the GI told me to get off the PPI's since they weren't helping, which, I have done for the most part. I don't care for either of them to be truthful. I have an appointment with another ENT tomorrow, just to confirm the LPR diagnosis of the previous one. Once that is accomplished, I am starting with another GI to get a second opinion. I did have a better day having taken the GABA, but I also want to make sure that this is something that isn't harmful. GABA should be taken regularly and dosage increased over time. I take it as "needed" although that's not what the prescription says to do, since it was prescribed for a different problem (nerve related). Probably not wise for me to "treat" my condition without some professional advice. Also, it didn't help with the awful bitterness I seem to have all day, but the phlegm is a bit less today.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I can tell you, the PPIs helped the stomach pain and heartburn but never did much for my shortness of breath, bad taste, or sore throats. They reduce acid in the stomach, but they do not keep the stomach juices where they belong, and even diluted stomach acid can irritate the throat a lot.

For several years, I lived with it. Eating small meals and avoiding my dietary triggers helped, although it tended to flare up when I was sick or stressed. Then it got worse, so I had a barium swallow (normal) and a test called 48-hour pH monitoring, where the doctor put a little device inside my esophagus and left it there for a while. The monitoring found that I did have reflux.

I also tried the medicines reglan and domperidone. They helped a little. Erythromycin helps some people, but I'm allergic. Finally I had surgery to repair my hiatal hernia and tighten the lower esophageal sphincter, which resolved things about 80%

Oh! One last thing. It appears that acid reflux is sometimes caused by a neuromuscular problem with the lower esophageal sphincter. GABA is a nerve medicine. I wonder if it could actually help the LES work better?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
(female)

Lisasc HB User

Yes, I think GABA may help the LES. I hope so, but the bigger issue for me is malfunction of the UES. I understand that what we have can lead to throat cancer! Why did they prescribe erythromycin for you? I don't get why antibiotics would be used if you don't have an infection. My ENT said the 24 hour Ph test was a waste because he already could see I was refluxing from all the mucus in my throat. I can't make him prescribe it but maybe the new ENT I try tomorrow will. Have you ever tried ACV with mother? How did you make out with the fundoplication surgery? Nobody will even consider it for me a this point. I hear it has a several week recouperation period.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

In addition to its properties as an antibiotic, for some people, erythromycin also helps the digestive system work better.

I've tried the vinegar, it seems to provide a little relief, but just temporarily. Also, it helps my throat feel cleaner.

For you, at this point, I really doubt the fundoplication would be worth it. It doesn't sound like your symptoms are bad enough, (I might be wrong about that, I don't live in your skin!) and it doesn't sound like other options have been exhausted.

Like I said, for several years the symptoms were manageable and I just lived with it. Before the surgery, I spent several hours a day tasting stomach acid regardless of what or whether I ate. I developed asthma and it bothered me a lot. I finally made up my mind to do it when my asthma doctor said something like, "There's nothing more I can do for you, if you ever want to breathe comfortably, you have to control your GERD."

I spent a week home recovering, then the incisions were pretty well healed, but it was about 2 months until my digestive system recovered. I still can't swallow larger pills, I have to crush or dissolve them in water. It's not perfect, but it's way better. So is my asthma.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
(female)

Lisasc HB User

HI Jane,
Went to a new GI who was more willing to entertain that this could be a gastro issue. To your point, the endoscopy shows that I have little or no damage, but doesn't rule out that LPR is still happening. He added a third med to my regime, but still no positive outcome. I have another appointment with him in a few weeks. With little progress being made, he may want to pursue the barium swallow or the ph-test (both of which the ENT said were a waste of discomfort, time and money???).

Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
(male)

CurbYourEnthusi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It has been suggested that some LPR patients actually have a form of neuropathy. Basically, you get a sore throat, then the nerves get damaged and the pain just keeps going. Drugs like GABA can actually reverse this process.

Now, a microscopic examination of the esophagus is not always the best way to rule out reflux. All that means is that you don't have esophageal damage, and many people have reflux without a damaged esophagus.

You can talk to the doctor about trying GABA for a while. If that doesn't work, you could go back to the GI and try tests such as a barium swallow. (I gotta tell you, it took me 3 GIs to find one who actually wanted to pursue my symptoms rather than just keeping me on the unhelpful PPIs forever and not doing anything else. Of course, I had stomach pain and indigestion as well as throat symptoms.)
Yup, great call Jane. My EGD revealed almost nothing as well. It wasn't until I get the other battery of tests (Barium Swallow, Manometry) that showed I had severe reflux. You should request these tests. My Barium Swallow showed the doctors that after every swallow I had (with Barium and even water) it was refluxing all the way back up to my upper esophagus and larynx.

PPIs generally have a much less effect on LPR patients than people with typical GERD symptoms. Unfortunately, my doctor told me at this point surgery was my best bet with failed medical treatment of over 8 months. So I'll be in for the Nissen surgery tomorrow!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

Lisasc HB User

Guess I w8ll have to insist on additional tests. I'm not familiar with Manometry - guess I will ask at my next appointment. I think he's going to insist on the 24-hr ph test before anything else. How do they know you were refluxing water after each swallow? Did they test you with just water? I assume you're being treated by a GI and not an ENT. I too feel like I have mucus coming back up my throat after each swallow, even if I haven't swallowed anything except salive! That smug first GI told me there was NO EVIDENCE of reflux after my endoscopy. To Jane's point, that just means there was no damage in my eshphagus, not that I don't have reflux. I wish you best of luck with your surgery. I will be anxious to hear how you make out with it...and hope for the best result possible. I am at the end of my rope at the moment, and have not even gotten close to the subject of surgery.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
(male)

CurbYourEnthusi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisasc View Post
Guess I w8ll have to insist on additional tests. I'm not familiar with Manometry - guess I will ask at my next appointment. I think he's going to insist on the 24-hr ph test before anything else. How do they know you were refluxing water after each swallow? Did they test you with just water? I assume you're being treated by a GI and not an ENT. I too feel like I have mucus coming back up my throat after each swallow, even if I haven't swallowed anything except salive! That smug first GI told me there was NO EVIDENCE of reflux after my endoscopy. To Jane's point, that just means there was no damage in my eshphagus, not that I don't have reflux. I wish you best of luck with your surgery. I will be anxious to hear how you make out with it...and hope for the best result possible. I am at the end of my rope at the moment, and have not even gotten close to the subject of surgery.
When you swallow the liquids you are matched up against an x-ray machine, so the doctor sees everything that's happening in your esophagus. I swallowed various barium substances (thin/thick) and then they just had me drink water and I was refluxing that too.

I was treated by both a GI and two different ENTs. My main symptom was a sore throat that both ENTs said was caused by reflux (LPR). I get most of the other symptoms of GERD/LPR as well, but the sore throat/trouble swallowing was my biggest symptom. I was on the heaviest dose of PPIs and nothing was making my throat feel better. So at this point everyone recommended the Nissen for me.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
(female)

Lisasc HB User

Okay thanks so much for the info. I really don't have much of a sore throat. My main symptoms are CONSTANT mucus in my throat (whether I have eaten or not), and this horrible taste in my mouth that has made eating food a nuisance, rather than a pleasure. Everything tastes putrid and bitter, that is if I can taste it at all. My other symptoms are loss of smell and taste - which are very closely related. Sometimes though, I have phantom smells. I'm not thrilled about the idea of shooting more x-rays into myself but I may have no choice. They also want to CT my sinuses but I am all but certain that it will show nothing.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
(female)

Lisasc HB User

PS - What is a manometry? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

A manometry is a test to measure the function of the muscles in your esophagus and lower esophageal sphincter.

If you have bad symptoms, the esophagus muscles are normal and the LES is weak, you're a good candidate for Nissen.

If your LES is strong, then Nissen wouldn't help, and you probably don't have GERD. (It might be another upper digestive problem.)

If your esophageal muscles are weak or not working correctly, then Nissen would put you at risk for serious swallowing problems.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
(male)

CurbYourEnthusi HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
A manometry is a test to measure the function of the muscles in your esophagus and lower esophageal sphincter.

If you have bad symptoms, the esophagus muscles are normal and the LES is weak, you're a good candidate for Nissen.

If your LES is strong, then Nissen wouldn't help, and you probably don't have GERD. (It might be another upper digestive problem.)

If your esophageal muscles are weak or not working correctly, then Nissen would put you at risk for serious swallowing problems.
Yup. I found this test to be excruciatingly uncomfortable but in the end it was necessary. It confirmed that my LES was extremely weak which supported my Barium Swallow that showed severe reflux. With those two tests, my surgeon said I was an excellent candidate for Nissen.

It's also imperative to rule out any motility disorder, as Jane pointed out, because if you get the Nissen and have a motility disorder your symptoms will undoubtedly get worse.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
(female)

Lisasc HB User

Hi Curb,
How is a motility issue determined? I'm not sure what it even is! When you describe refluxing even water, I just know that's what's happening with me. I also have this terrible strange taste in mouth, which is there no matter what I eat or drink, even if it's nothing at all and just saliva. When I wake up in the morning, I have a few minutes before the mucus collects in my throat, and then it all begins again.

Reply Reply

Tags
gabapentin, lpr