It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Very often feel like I have something in my throat

I'm not sure if this is related to GERD and/or Post Nasal Drip, but I have very frequently been feeling like there is something in my throat. It doesn't feel like I have an object, like a piece of mushroom or carrot, in there, but more like I have a "glob," for lack of better words, of something in my throat area. As of right now, I'm not sure how to approach this - I usually try to drink tons of liquids, and to occasionally cough and try to clear my throat to see if whatever is there will dislodge; I also will take some Mucinex, in the case that it is mucus and that I can thin whatever is there if it is. As of right now, I can't find anything that will substantially fix my problem (i.e. I take this pill or do this action and my throat is quickly cleared up), other than trying to just wait it out.

Would appreciate some guidance on this issue.

P.S. On a slightly related note, I have instances (About 1-2 times a month) where I swallow a pill and it doesn't go all the way down, and stays in my throat for some hours until it dissolves on it's own.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User
Re: Very often feel like I have something in my throat

I have a feeling of tightness or a lump in my throat constantly. I have grade one esophagitis and abnormal esophageal motility. My doctor explained that my upper esophageal sphincter is clamping shut, perhaps to keep acid out of my throat, and as a result I am feeling the lump when swallowing. Dry swallowing seems to aggravate the issue, and for some reason mucus seems particularly difficult to swallow.

The lump in throat sensation can also be caused by post nasal drip. GERD can cause PND, but not all cases of PND are caused by GERD. For some people, anxiety causes the feeling of something being stuck in the throat. This sensation also can be attributed to cricopharyngeal spasms.

When the pills get stuck in your throat, are you taking them alone or with water? If a pill gets stuck in your esophagus, it can cause irritation to the lining.

Last edited by KitKat880; 05-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User

Leo255...I have the same thing. Everytime I swallow I feel something ...like mucous or something. Usually worse in the morning and sometimes It gags me and then some slim comes up. My doctor told me to start taking Pepcid. She said it might be acid reflux, but who knows. I have been taking it for about a week...seems to help some. Oh and sometimes this makes it hard for me to take my med...hard to get them down because I gag.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User

Thanks for the replies - Yeah, I'm still dealing with this issue, although right now it feels less like there's actually something in my throat, and more of a general feeling of "tightness" there. Really hope it's something temporary - I am, at the moment, keeping my acid down with diet and H2's. Hopefully, if it's an inflammation from acid, it will heal on it's own.

Closed Thread