It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
(male)

acidy HB User
best bed for gerd

hi . I'm thinking of getting an adjustable bed for gerd.

Would you fellas recommend the type of gerd bed that bends, or the type that merely creates an angle by tilting? Is there any particular brand you could recommend? thanks.

I'm looking to buy one or the other by the end of the week

Last edited by Administrator; 05-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: best bed for gerd

I believe it's better to tilt the entire bed. Bending the torso can increase reflux.

Still, you don't need to buy a new bed for that. I elevated my bed just by putting books under some of the legs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

I didn't want to damage my bed (antique that was my grandmother's) by raising it, so I bought a 6" MediWedge, which goes between the mattress and box-spring. It wasn't cheap, but certainly was less expensive than a new bed. I like my mattress and didn't want to have to adjust to sleeping on a different surface like a wedge pillow, which you can also slide off of in your sleep.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
(male)

acidy HB User

Thanks for your feedback

I was thinking of getting one of those "craftmatic" type beds, that push up the lower section of the body as well as the top, of you select for that.

i would post a link so you could see what i mean, but i think that's not allowed,

the reason i thought id get one of those is i end up sliding and the plain tilt is not comfy.

do you think that's bad too?

thanks for the advice about the medwedge & the books!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
(male)

acidy HB User

Thanks for your feedback

I was thinking of getting one of those "craftmatic" type beds, that push up the lower section of the body as well as the top, of you select for that.

i would post a link so you could see what i mean, but i think that's not allowed,

the reason i thought id get one of those is i end up sliding and the plain tilt is not comfy.

do you think that's bad too?

thanks for the advice about the medwedge & the books!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

I think it could work, but I wouldn't raise the lower part of your body up too high. You don't want to put any pressure on your abdomen.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I sleep on a wedge, about a month now, you get used to it. Seems to help. Hoping that it isn't forever or I would think about getting a adjustable bed. I always make sure that when I do sleep on my side I roll to the left, never the right so that gravity keeps the stuff in your stomach. Take a 40 mg Pepcid before bed each night, 2 X losec 20 mg during day.

Kat makes a good point on where the bed bends as you want your torso above your stomach but no pressure on the stomach itself.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
(male)

acidy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat880 View Post
I think it could work, but I wouldn't raise the lower part of your body up too high. You don't want to put any pressure on your abdomen.
hmm. Do you know of anything I can google which describes how one could inadvertently put pressure on their abdomen?

I think I'm probably best off going toward a straight angle and just trying to get used to it.

thanks, again, for the feedback!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

When your body is bent in the middle (except at the hips only).

When you do exercises that work the abdominal muscles.

When you wear clothing that's tight around the abdomen or rib cage.

Closed Thread