It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Anyone had success with just H2 Antagonists?

Just wondering as I get a variety of side effects with PPI's. Have taken Famotidine/Pepcid for years and it works for me as long as I watch my diet and don't do anything stupid. However now I have started suffering reflux and doc says PPI's are the way to go. It may be a bout of constipation and poor posture in front of a computer day after day got this started. Short term I am ok with taking the PPI's. Trouble is Nexium, Prevacid I can't sleep on and Losec makes me achy and seems to give me gas. Sure wish I could get away with just Famotidine, perhaps later when I get the reflux settled down. Regardless any thoughts , experiences would be welcome, thanks !

Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Re: Anyone had success with just H2 Antagonists?

I think so...It depends on how extreme your acid is. Just make sure you're careful with your diet, and that you take it right before you eat something that you know will give you major problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

I think it also depends on how much damage has been done to your esophagus. If you have esophagitis, H2 antagonists may not cut it. I have the least severe esophagitis, and even lower dose PPIs did not work for me.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
(male)

lpr pacient HB User

I took H2 antagonist for about a week and it did alleviate my throat pain (LPR). However, the side effects were worse than the symptoms. So I don't take any medication now.
I had been taking PPI for several months before starting H2 blockers, so very probably my liver was already damaged.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I had my first bout of GERD in my early thirties and took Zantac for three months with good success. It took a while for it to work but it did help.

I started experiencing symptoms of GERD again five years ago and initially took Aciphex, but was subsequently able to manage by being back on Zantac. Sometimes I took it twice a day and sometimes once every few days. It worked OK along with all sorts of remedies and diet modifications for a couple of years, and I am now fairly symptomatic again and back on a PPI with mild to moderate success.

If your symptoms are not severe, you may be able to manage with an H2 antagonist like Zantac or Pepcid. However, it is always best to consult with your doctor.

Rose

Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I am planning on falling back on Pepcid , prescription strength, in a few weeks but want to let the PPI's get some healing done. Then I hope with the lifestyle changes I have made to reduce my dependance on Pepcid as well. Just not sure if that is possible, been on them for 15 yrs. My mother had these issues as well and constantly watched her diet, lived a very healthy lifestyle but constantly had to take antacids. This before the H2's were available, later on in life she took Zantac. It seems genetic.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I think you are right. This is mostly a genetic condition.

I am in my mid fifties, have always been healthy, weigh 125 lbs (was never overweight except when pregnant, and did not experience heartburn then). I don't take medications other than the PPI's now. I do eat pretty healthy, and have made all the changes I possibly can, and still have symptoms.

I eat low in carbs, do not drink coffee or caffeinated drinks, no red wine or alcohol, etc.

I presume my symptoms could be much worse if I had not changed my eating drastically, but I know I have not done anything to purposefully induce this. I don't smoke and never did. I am not a heavy drinker.

My only past sin was to consume several diet cokes a day. I don't even do that anymore, and have not done so in five years at least.

Go figure!

Rose

The Following User Says Thank You to rosebloom For This Useful Post:
Johnah (05-08-2012)
Closed Thread