It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Can the Esophageal Sphincter heal?

I see a lot of posts related to long term use of PPI's and the operation to fix the sphincter but nothing much about successful healing over time. I suspect those who have success move on but wondering is there good odds of one having it heal? Is the reality that it likely won't heal? Hard to tell reading thru this BB or searching the net. This certainly seems the heart of my reflux issue so wondering what my odds are.

If it can heal what is the experience of the typical range in weeks? Thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
(male)

lpr pacient HB User
Re: Can the Esophageal Sphincter heal?

I've heard and read in several places that most GERD cases (in fact, a vast majority) get “cured” after two months of PPI therapy. Once cured, the patient only needs to take his medicine occasionally.
I also read somewhere that, in the case of LPR, it takes six months of treatment.

I'm not sure whether the improvement is due to esophageal sphincter healing or to other phenomena.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Thanks ! I am about 3 months in now but have been on and off PPI's due to some side effect issues. Probably in total just a month on PPI's with some breaks in between. However I did take prescription strength H2's in between.

My issue seems to be LPR, not GERD. I don't get heartburn, didn't even realize that this issue involved my esophagus until my voice got horse and my lungs started to feel irritated.

The last 6 weeks I have made definite progress but it does seem 2 steps forward and 1 step back as you discover what works for you and what doesn't. Don't really want to stay on PPI's too long but will do what is necessary. Just hoping this thing can get fixed without surgery. Most of the lifestyle changes are not that big of an issue for me, but would be nice to have a drink now and again or be able to dine out. At this point not doing any of that.

Last edited by Johnah; 05-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
(male)

lpr pacient HB User

Your story reminds my own in several aspects. I've been dealing with LPR for six months and a half. The PPI let me feel much better but I quit all drugs because the side effects became practically unbearable after a few months. Now I have pain but I'm getting back to normal life.
I don't care about alcohol prohibition because I used to drink just water anyway. About dining out, I do it now, but I eat a hamburger (not a fatty one, of course) with bread and lettuce (keep the sauces, the onion, the tomato, the chips, anything fatty or acidic). May sound as a poor supper, but I really enjoy it. Salmon sushi and similar Japanese food also seems to be OK for me (provided that it doesn't have acidic sauces).

Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
(male)

Can I ask what kind of side effects were you having?

I tried Nexium, had wild dreams , could only sleep 3-4 hrs at a time, then Prevacid, dreams weren't so bad but it made me achy all over and again had issues with sleep deprivation. Now on Omeprazole (2*20mg) which is much better, makes my ears ring but I can sleep, no other real effects.

Have taken prescription strength Pepcid for about 15 yrs, had to double the dose about 3 yrs ago ( 40mg *2 per day) and then ran into this issue in February. Really had no side effects with Pepcid that I noticed. Just worked and I ate what I wanted. Not now.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
(male)

lpr pacient HB User

The worst side effects of Esomeprazol (PPI) were complete loss of appetite, nausea and vomit, which nearly prevented me from eating anything. I perceived this situation as life-threatening because I am already a slim man. Other side effects were diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Ranitidine (H2-blocker) caused me a sensation of weakness, irresistible drowsiness and symptoms of liver illness. Eventually, I also experienced dramatic loss of appetite, even with low doses of the drug.

Last edited by lpr pacient; 05-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
(male)

Geez sorry to hear that. Sounds like the cure was worse than cause.

My side effects were mostly sleep related as I mentioned. Guess that is fairly common for some.

Hard to heal up if you can't take these drugs, glad I finally got on one that I could live with. Now I am trying to stick to it for the 8 weeks or so that seem to settle these things down. It is helping (omeprazole) , some improvement each week but it seems so slow. Certainly don't want to take these drugs long term. I expect never to drink caffeine again, wasn't much of a drinker, will watch my diet more closely now and forever. Just not worth going thru this again.

Last edited by Johnah; 05-08-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Closed Thread