It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
(male)

Stockster HB UserStockster HB User
Any relation between RAI and GERD

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there that has experienced what happened to me?

In 2010 I had surgery to remove a cancerous thyroid. After the surgery everything was fine. Very little heartburn in my life at that point post operation.

In Jan 2012 I decided to do a precautionary Radioactive Iodine (RAI) treatment to make sure that I would be cancer free moving forward. I was well educated in the pro's and con's of the treatment, to which the worst side effect was blocked saliva glands or eye ducts. So far I am 4 months post treatment and I have been getting worse and worse heartburn. This all started after my treatment and now I am taking 40 mgs of PPI's 2 times a day, can't really sleep without acid leaking out of my LES and into my esophagus, and the quality of life is getting worse and worse having to deal with this GERD.

My question is, had anyone else had RAI and experienced this side effect? I have talked to my doctors and they all said that they are unaware of this side effect.

I am miserable emotionally and physically when I'm having the burning/leaking into my throat and lungs.

I'm hoping that because it came on so quick, maybe it will go away once the radiation is out of my system completely (June).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
(female)

kealen HB User
Re: Any relation between RAI and GERD

Yes. I am discovering the same. I just had rai on Friday; 156.6 mci and I now have the worst heartburn ever. I've never had heartburn before. It's pretty severe. I do believe it's part of rai and maybe even being hypo. I'm hoping it will get better as I get back to a regular TSH.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

castgrl76 HB User
Re: Any relation between RAI and GERD

yes i had a total thyoidectomy in 2009 and had rai andsince then ive been to the ER at least once a year with horriable acid reflux cheast pains . all thedoctors want to do is put me on more meds , and wont seem to put 2 and 2 together and admit thast yes drinking RADIATION could lead to stomch problems. y life has never been the same. and im not a smoker drinker, i dont eat fat food sode ect... i take care of my body . this isnt fair. in fact im up tonight in pain cant even eat.

Reply Reply