It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

josieduff HB User
Smile TIF Procedure

Has anyone had the TIF procedure performed? I am considering it and would appreciate any information I could get.
thanks,
Josie

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: TIF Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by josieduff View Post
Has anyone had the TIF procedure performed? I am considering it and would appreciate any information I could get.
thanks,
Josie
I think it is fairly new but it sounds like it may be the one that causes the least amount of structural change in the esophagus.

I would like to know if it is reversible in the event one cannot tolerate the device.

It sounds from what I have read that they insert a device that mimics the action of the LES. It will be interesting to see if anyone has had it yet.

My only concern with it being so new is that the surgeons may have not yet worked out all the kinks in the system and I would hate to be their guinea pigs.

Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
(female)

josieduff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
I think it is fairly new but it sounds like it may be the one that causes the least amount of structural change in the esophagus.

I would like to know if it is reversible in the event one cannot tolerate the device.

It sounds from what I have read that they insert a device that mimics the action of the LES. It will be interesting to see if anyone has had it yet.

My only concern with it being so new is that the surgeons may have not yet worked out all the kinks in the system and I would hate to be their guinea pigs.

Rose

Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
(female)

josieduff HB User

To my knowledg this procedure reconstructs the antireflux valve using a device called the EsophyX device and restores the body’s natural protection against reflux. I just want to know if the risk is worth the surgery? I am mostly concerned about what the medication is doing against my calcium in my body and the effect it has on my bones. I already have bone loss in my back and hip.

Josie

Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by josieduff View Post
To my knowledg this procedure reconstructs the antireflux valve using a device called the EsophyX device and restores the body’s natural protection against reflux. I just want to know if the risk is worth the surgery? I am mostly concerned about what the medication is doing against my calcium in my body and the effect it has on my bones. I already have bone loss in my back and hip.

Josie
I think it shows great promise, but it is fairly new.

I am with you with the bone loss. It is the reason I went off PPI's two years ago.

Rose

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It is easier and a less drastic change than the surgical repair, Nissen. It doesn't work if you have a hiatal hernia larger than 2 cm, so you'd have to be checked for that.

I opted for Nissen, and it turned out to be the right choice, as I had a 4 cm hiatal hernia that the endoscopy and barium swallow missed! Surgeon fixed that while he was in there.

Of course, there are quite a few people who've done well with TIF. I agree with Rosebloom that it's disturbingly new, but there are a few surgeons out there who've been doing it regularly for a few years now. If you can find one, talk to him or her.

Closed Thread