It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

25ellie HB User
Smoking with GERD

Does anyone experience GERD symptoms worse when smoking?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Smoking with GERD

One of the side effects of Gerd is breathing difficulty in some people.
I can only presume that smoking in someone suffering this effect would not be helped by smoking.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

Hi 25Ellie
What symptoms do you get...i find that the after i eat smoke is probably the worst smoke...but that is the only BAD thing i do,,,i know i shouldn't, but been so stressed out for the last 6 months i just cant seem to quit.
Let me know what symptoms you get and we can compare so to speak.

Spunky

Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
(female)

25ellie HB User

I get palpitations and a bit breathless and heartburn like I can't enjoy a smoke sooo I smoke less and just have one to stop the nicotine addiction
I also have like a fluttering in my lower chest in the middle of my breastbone and get pains between my shoulder blades in my back after food
You???

Old 05-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

Hi Ellie

Ya me too...i get palpitations throughout the day,,,can never tell ifits the esophagus spasming or an actual palpitaion,,,i can not just have one smoke,,,but i have cut down to less than half pack a day...i know its bad but..to stressed to quit right now..loli do get the fluttering as well..i dunno why tho..just happens out of the blue,,sometimes after food sometimes not.
the worst pain for me is the nagging pain around the inner ribs just before they connect...and of course the burn after the smoke,,..
hope you get to feeling better soon...
Spunky

Old 05-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Nicotine can cause the LES to relax, which makes GERD worse. I know it's tough to quit, but GERD is one more reason to try.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Smoking can certainly aggravate GERD. Not only does cigarrette smoke irritate the esophagus, but it can also lessen the pressure in the lower esophageal sphincter, which keeps acid from refluxing into the esophagus.

Smoking is one of the high risk factors for esophageal and stomach, among other, cancers.

Rose

Old 05-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Wow....I had no idea that smoking had this affect on Gerd! I am stunned! Why did my Gastro never tell me this? I have cut down, but am def going to try and quit after reading this! The last thing I do before I go to bed is have a few puffs on a cigarette! I have Barret's Esophagus for 3 yrs and my doc never mentioned the pressure thing. Glad he is no longer in the practice. Have an appointment with a new doc next month....hope things aren't worse! Glad I checked this thread!! Thanks....really!
Peace

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The thing about smoking (and obesity) is that some docs don't like to discuss it with patients. Perhaps it's because they assume the patient already knows it's bad, and they don't want to waste precious appointment time preaching to patients instead of treating.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

UGH!!!!
Peace

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

First question the GI doctor asked me when I went to see her with my symptoms of GERD five years ago was whether or not I smoked (I don't). I asked her why and she told me the information that I relied to you in my earlier post.

My father smoked for over fifty years, and I saw him struggling to quit smoking for many years. He finally did, but he always said it was the hardest thing he had to do in his entire life.

Cutting down on smoking or stopping are great ideas if you can for your GI health as well as for your overall longevity.

But I know it is not an easy thing to beat.

Rose

Closed Thread