It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

Lorriez HB User
Can Someone Plz Help I'm So Scared

Over the last 3 wks I have visited the ER twice with severe upper abdominal pain and burning. First it started on the right underneath the rib cage and then it migrated to all over my stomach. Now it seems to be in the middle of my upper abdomen. But NOT up into my eshofogus or anything like that.

I cannot tolerate Proton Pump Inhibitors, H2 Blockers. Every time i take a Tums or antacid...it doesn't help the burning. I have never in my life had stomach problems before...ever....except when I had the stomach flu. But now I have this constant horrible burning and gnawing in my stomach . It also feels like I have a 10 inch round sore in my upper stomach area. I go to see my primary care doc on Tues and then he wants me to see a GI doctor. The only thing that gives me a little tiny bit of relief is when I take a small amount of Pepto Bismal which seems to temporarily calm down the burning...but, then it comes back again with a vengence. I'm extremely med sensitive and cannot tolerate most medications...but, right now the inside of my stomach lining feels like its burning and raw. I am so afraid since I can't take so many Rx drugs...that this is never going to get better. I'm sure that when I get referred to the GI doc they will do a upper endoscopy . That also scares me so much., This is making me so incrediby depressed. One day my stomach was fine....and then in a couple of days it got really bad. I'm so incredibly depressed and scared as I cannot take the Proton Pump Inhibitors or H2 Blockers. There has got to be some other answers. I have not been tested for H Pylori as of yet. But this whole stomach burning and pain has over taken my life. They did an ultrasound and CT without contrast....and were both negative. Has anyone else had these similar experiences ? I can't get rid of this burning and pain. It has over taken my life and I'm so scared. Could someone help ? I am so depressed right now about this whole situation.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lorriez:
catkaru (05-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
(female)

adrienne4347 HB User
Re: Can Someone Plz Help I;m So Scared

Hi Lorrie, hang in there, this kind of pain and discomfort can indeed be very scary and very depressing to deal with. I've had gallbladder and GERD problems. For me, swallowing a little bit of apple cider vinegar helps with both kinds of pain. I also find that with gallbladder, ibuprofen helps. And more hardcore pain meds help too. What happens when you take the PPIs and H2 blockers? And have you tried Gaviscon?

I hope your doctors can help you.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
(female)

Lorriez HB User

Dear Adreinne....

Thank you for responding . I can't take H2 blockers or PPi's as they cause my heart to beat irregularly. My stomach is burning like crazy right now. I eat a very bland diet and i've never smoked or drank in my life. I have never taken aspirin products or things that would damage the stomach lining. I don't have anything coming up into my eshofogus. Its all in my upper abdomen and both sides of my stomach. They checked out my gall bladder with ultra sound and CT scan. It was completely normal. This is making me so incredibly depressed. i'm so scared. When I take Tums or Maalox...it doesn't help the severe burning. I'm a health freak and eat very very healthy. No spicy foods...this is so depressing as I have this terrific burning in my whold abdomen...but, not in my eshofogus and chest. I'm scared to death about this whole situation. I've never had stomach problems in my life. I'm afraid I might have H Pylori. The only thing that brought me a little relief today was sucking on a pepto bismal tablet. i'm so depressed and scared. This burning in my upper stomach has overtaken my life. I'm afraid its stomach cancer, petptic ulcer or gastritis. I cannot take H2 Blockers or PPI's. I'm in tears i'm so scared and depressed.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Lorriez....and welcome to the boards! The first thing you have to do is try to calm down! You most likely have a Gall Bladder problem no matter what the ultra sound or MRI showed so worrying about the fact that you can't take PPIs is probably just aggrevating your situation. I know of two people in my life that had the same problem and wound up having the gallbladder removed with great relief. Unfortunatly the ER is not going to help you with that. Follow your GI's advice for further tests if needed and I agree about the pain relief meds. If you take the pain meds be sure and take with some food. You tummy is very supseptable to increasing more acid when your upset, so try to find some comfort in music or something.

I hope you get an answer to your problem soon and I hope it is nothing as serious as the illnesses you are worrying about. I am sure you will be fine.

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Last edited by catkaru; 05-20-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
(female)

Lorriez HB User

Hello Cat...thank you for responding. I don't understand how it could be my gallbladder. I have no gall stones. I never eat fatty foods or spicy foods and my gall bladder tested negative. How in the world would you say it would be my gallbladder ? How in the world do i get diagnosed with gall bladder problems if the doctor says its not gall bladder. I have to go for a upper endoscopy as soon as i can get a referral to a GI doc. I woke up this morning with severe burning on the right middle part of my abdomen. Plz tell me why you think this is my gall bladder...plz tell me ? I can't admit myself to the hospital saying its my gall bladder if the er docs say nothing is wrong via bloodwork and ultrasound. Will you plz be so kind to tell me.....now you have me more scared than ever. I'm laying here hurting so bad. now im scared i'm being mis diagnosed. Please tell me the reasons why you wrote what you did ?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi catkaru,
Your symptoms definitely correspond with H.Pylori.
I know I have had it and suffered the same symptoms. During your Endoscopy a biopsy will be taken to confirm wether or not you have HP. There are many types of PPIs and there is most likely one that will suit you. If it is HP you will be prescribed a treatment of three medications, two different Antibiotics and a PPI, they are nessesary to eliminate this bacteria.
First you need to find out if this is your problem but it certainly sounds like thats what it is.
I hope you dont have too long to find out as it is a nasty bacteria, I felt dreadful Ill when I had it but the treatment worked.
I hope you soon feel better and let us know how things go.

Solofelix.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi catkaru,
Your symptoms definitely correspond with H.Pylori.
I know I have had it and suffered the same symptoms. During your Endoscopy a biopsy will be taken to confirm wether or not you have HP. There are many types of PPIs and there is most likely one that will suit you. If it is HP you will be prescribed a treatment of three medications, two different Antibiotics and a PPI, they are nessesary to eliminate this bacteria.
First you need to find out if this is your problem but it certainly sounds like thats what it is.
I hope you dont have too long to find out as it is a nasty bacteria, I felt dreadful Ill when I had it but the treatment worked.
I hope you soon feel better and let us know how things go.

Solofelix.

Dont panic!!...
This does not sound at all like Gallbladder problem!!...
Solofelix.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Can Someone Plz Help I'm So Scared

Hi again catkaru,
I meant to add that pain like that can also be an Ulcer, I have had two of them and each time had that awful knawing pain in the middle of my stomach, infact I felt like I had an open wound there. H.Pylori can and will cause Ulcers.
Definitely avoid any painkiller containing Ibuprofen as they will cause more problem with an Ulcer.
Gaviscon taken three times per day will help until you get treatment.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
(female)

Lorriez HB User

Hello Solofelix...

Thank you for responding. Could you please tell me how long your symptoms went on before you were diagnosed ? I'm extrememly sensitive to most medications. They usually have to put me in the hospital to give me any type of anti biotic whatsoever. My appt with my primary doc is Tues morning. But that doesn;t help the burning and pain right now. The other woman who posted above me...had me so scared it is my gall bladder. She gave me more anxiety than ever. I don't know if I'm coming or going anymore. I can't just gobble meds like the normal person. Even when I just have antibiotics...they have to put me in patient to give them by IV. I'm so scared ...its Sunday. I'm not going to ther ER for the 3rd time and them just telling me to go home. Could you plz be so kind to tell me how long your symptoms went on and who diagnosed you . What kind of symptoms did you have ? I noticed that when I get anxious or stressed ...it hurts my stomach even more. It seems like every week ...it just gets worse...over the last 3 weeks. The only thing that has remotely helped it is to take a pepto bismal tablet and dissolve it slowly in my mouth. Antacids do not seem to work. H2 blockers and PPI's give me irregular heart beats . I can't take those. I am at my wits end and my husband is worried sick too. We don't know what to do. I am getting extremely anxietized over this. I have a call into my doctor...but, he has not called back. I have never had stomach problems in my life ...except when i had the flu. I anxiously await to hear from you. I am starting to panic right now. My stomach feels like it has a gigantic sore in it....from the right side over.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
(female)

Lorriez HB User

I wanted to add that I have no acid reflux or anything going into my chest at all.The pain is all from my right side over in the middle of my abdomen and sometimes on my left . Everyone seems to post on this board and then disappears. I'm so scared...I wish there was some I could talk to.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Lorriez,
I apologise I addressed my reply to the wrong name it was meant for you.
I got my hospital appointment early as I had a bleeding stomach ulcer and my biopsy revealed that I'd had an ulcer plus I had HP as well.
I also have trouble with pills as I am unable to swallow any pill at all. One of my Antibiotics was given to me in liquid form and the other was a capsule that I opened and shook the powder into yogurt. My PPI (Nexium) I disolved in water.
Antibiotics make me ill but I had no choice as I'm a candidate for Ulcers and HP was causing mine.
I hope you can get through your treatment OK.

Solofelix.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
(female)

Lorriez HB User

Thank you for responding. How long did it take for them to diagnose you? Our medical system here in California works like a snail. I have to go to my reg doc on Tuesday just to get a referral for the GI doc. How could you tell you had a bleeding ulcer ? What were the signs and symptoms ? I cannot take meds mostly because I have severe side effects and I'm very med sensitive. I have to be monitiored in the hospital since I have cardiac problems. It will take me a week or two to get an appt with a stomach doc. How long did your pain go on before you were diagnosed ? Its so frustrating....sitting here on a Sunday afternoon...the ER is no help....I can't reach my doctor. Did you say that Gaviscon helped the sharp pain and burning as well ?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's going to take some time to figure it all out. Unfortunately, there will be some pain in the meantime.

If slowly dissolving pepto-bismol tablets helps, drinking the liquid might also help. And when you see your doctor Monday or Tuesday, ask for a prescription for liquid Carafate. For me, it works just like Pepto, only it's stronger and longer lasting. It coats the stomach, just the same way.

Your family doctor can also arrange a blood test for h. Pylori, if you haven't already had one.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Lorriez...I did not mean to throw you in a panic. When and if they do the endoscopy they sometimes find that a valve is not working properly or just an inflamation of the gall bladder has accured. I am not a doctor. This has happened to 2 friends of mine. In my mind it would be a better dx than a stomach ulcer or one of the illnesses you were having such anxiety about such as cancer.

Please understand that I am sorry for dropping offline, but I have health issues that made it neccessary for me to come away from my pc. I hope all works out well for you soon and you are free from the anxiety you are feeling and the pain especially. I was just trying to calm you down as you're written words were so panic like. As one of the group said do be careful with the Ibuprofin, but I think that an anti-imflamitory is what you need right now for the pain as long as you take it with food and try not to take before bed.

Good luck to you my friend. And please keep us posted!
Peace,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

It is very important to establish a baseline of what is going on in one's digestive system when these symptoms begin. I have suffered from fairly severe heartburn for several years and yet the two endoscopies I have undergone have shown "normal" results for everything that an endoscopy can diagnose.

Therefore, one can have severe burning (I am just now going through a period of that) with not too much damage, or one can apparently have few symptoms and show extensive damage. Therefore, I would highly recommend having a competent GI doctor on your side and undergoing that upper endoscopy. It is a safe and painless procedure. The only painful part for me was the copay due to my high insurance deductible.

In the meantime, take a close look at your diet. Some people see "bland" as a lot of mash potatoes, toast with butter, milk, apple sauce, etc. All those are triggers for me and give me lots of heartburn.

Make a food diary, read all you can, and try not to panic. This seems to be a disorder that appears "suddenly" for many people, as it did for me, and it is scary. But knowledge is the key.

Do all PPI's and all H2 blockers cause irregular heartbeat? If so, Carafate (sulfracate) is a good option. I usually take mine at night to prevent breakthrough heartburn and achieve a good night's sleep.

I found that reading through lots of posts here helped alleviate my anxiety back when I became a member and more recently when I experienced a "relapse" in symptoms for no apparent reason.

Hope you feel better soon.

Rose

Rose

Last edited by rosebloom; 05-21-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Reply Reply