It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

Jenneez HB User
Smile Awaiting Nissan Fundoplication, does it work?

I'm waiting to be called for my operation. I'm really worried and not sure if I should go ahead with it. Doc told me its not a very nice procedure and people have told me horror stories of people they know who have had it done and it's awful and you never really get back to 'normal' (whatever that is)! I've now been on medication for 9 years, have mouth ulcers continuously through reflux in the night, can't swallow very well at times, full of wind, stomach gnawing and bloating as soon as I eat something, food gets stuck in my throat, chest. One day I can eat something and think its ok, the next it plays me up and I suffer for hours! Not sure what to eat or drink anymore, I've changed my diet over the years, rarely drink alcohol or eat chocolate, eat small meals. I'm struggling to lose weight as I keep having to eat something at regular intervals to keep the gnawing away although I have lost 2 stone over past 2 years. I'm not obese but need to lose another 2 stone.

I'd really appreciate your comments if you have had the op and if you are glad you had it done (or not). I've been reading the blogs which are really helpful. Do you think if I was really strict with myself and changed my whole lifestyle and eating I could manage without the op? I'm worried about getting oesophageal cancer as a result of GOERD; I've had all the tests and also have a hiatus hernia as well. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: Awaiting Nissan Fundoplication, does it work?

Hi. I've had GERD/reflux for over 25 years now. It started out as a little heart burn but over the years I developed GERD and that led to Barretts Esophagitis which I have for 10 years. I also have a hiatal hernia, terrible IBS and often get pancreatitis. I sleep with a wedge and don't eat after 6 or 7 pm. I have tried everything to help with GERD and all of these things help. Oh I also have been on PPI's for 25 years. Can't live without them now. Now for the Nissan. I have heard horror stories too and of course this is just my opinion, but I think I'll stick with the GERD problem until I absolutely need Nissan, if ever. The stories I read about this procedure scare the daylights out of me. I worry about the not being able to vomit part. I know it does work but do the cons way out the pros? Like I said just my opinion. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

Jenneez HB User
Smile Re: Awaiting Nissan Fundoplication, does it work?

Hi thanks so much for your message. The surgeon didn't tell me I wouldn't be able to vomit! My biggest concern is that it will develop in to cancer of the oesophagus if I don't do something about it now. I can't survive without chewing chewing gum all day as I lose my voice after a short while and have a coughing fit if I don't keep chewing gum. It's so difficult to know what's best. I agree with you about lifestyle changes but I struggle to keep on the straight and narrow with dieting as its been an issue all my life. I'm going to see my GP in 2 weeks to see if he could refer me to a dietician which might help. Thanks again for your thoughts, it's much appreciated.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I had a Nissan done several years ago and was fine for 2 months til the acid reflux returned. Although the surgery didn't work for me, it does work for others. I'm still taking PPI's twice a day. I was able to burp and vomit after the surgery. Good luck to everyone who has the surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine123 For This Useful Post:
Jenneez (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
(female)

Jenneez HB User

Thanks for your message, sorry it didn't work for you. I haven't made my mind up whether to have the op yet. Surgeon told me 85% work, 10% don't and 5% have to have a further op as complications have set in. Sounds like a good percentage work but I've yet to speak to someone that has had it done and it's worked for any length of time. Best wishes and thanks again.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sorry I've been away for a few days.

I had it 6 months ago, and it worked out very well for me. Matter of fact, the people who have good outcomes tend not to stick around on message boards!

It sounds like your symptoms are severe enough to justify it. Maybe you could control them without surgery if you were "very strict" with yourself, but I've tried that, and I simply can't get adequate nutrition on the super-strict GERD diet. I even saw a nutritionist, and a lot of the stuff she recommended I couldn't tolerate.

Before you consent, make sure that you have a test called esophageal manometry. If the muscles in your esophagus are weak, you are at higher risk for complications.

For me, the only negative side effect is that I can't swallow large pills. They just don't fit mechanically.

I used to have acid in my mouth several hours a day, every single day. It was messing up my lungs, too. Now, I have reflux symptoms for about an hour every couple weeks. I'm still careful what I eat, I'm still on medicine, the difference is, now it actually works.

If I could make my choice over again, I would still choose the surgery.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
sjb (05-31-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Jenneez (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

I think one problem for people might be getting in to see the right surgeon. I'm sure it takes a long time to find one. I'm sure for some people, they would travel to have some resassurance of outcome, but where do you look. I'm not real sure of the rules yet, but I guess you're not allowed to recommend surgeons on this website.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

I was actually at my gastro doctor today for a consult. He told me that only 50% of Nissan procedures work long-term, half of the time the stomach will unwind. He thinks that surgery should be the VERY last resort, and he's only recommended 2 patients throughout his career for the procedure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
Jenneez (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi one person I read about recently had a "tummy wrap" procedure and ended up wanting it undone again because he was vomiting and his stomach was burning and he felt worse than before the procedure. The top of the stomach has receptors in it that register full. If those are wrapped tightly enough it might in my opinion constantly register too very full all the time. I would definately choose a 5 star surgeon if I was going to to do that one. After hearing that poor fellow I think I would try other things first like not filling the stomach too full and having blocks at the head of the bed under the feet at night to keep the body slightly up so the stomach acid does not travel up the esophagous while sleeping. I might try cabbage juice with water to heal irritated tissues. I would not snack and I would allow 5 hours between meals and allow the last meal to be light such as a peice of fruit and a peice of bread a few hours before bedtime.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
Jenneez (05-31-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
(female)

Jenneez HB User

Thanks everyone for your comments, they are very helpful. I have an appointment to see my GP to ask the questions that I didn't remember to ask my surgeon. after all you feedback I now feel that it should be the very last resort and I will also ask to be referred to a dietician for a bit of support and see if I can last a few more years without the op. My biggest fear is that later in life I will develop oesophageal cancer if I don't act now which is what spurred me on to have the op as the tablets weren't working as well as they should. Many thanks again to all of you, you have been more support than any health professional! Best wishes.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely, you should exhaust the other options first. I was able to manage my reflux through diet and medication for 6 years, then it got worse. About a year and a half after that, after various tests and trying other medicines, I had the surgery.

But if it becomes clear that nothing else is working, don't be scared. Among well-chosen patients, especially if you have a hiatal hernia, it really does help about 90%.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Jenneez (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

Jenny i saw your other post's on another page, i too have a fear of getting food stuck, has happened to me before a few times and it was scary, painful also, i had it happen 2 times that come to mind. once was with a piece of cold hamburger i made a day before that was dry that i didnt chew well enough, the second was from a piece of chicken that i didnt chew well enough also. very scary took like 10 minutes or so for the chicken to go down and for the hamburger it seem to take like 30 minutes or so. i was scared out of my mind that it wouldnt go down, i think it was a pretty close call. since then i chew everything religiously and take a sip of liquid like a soda or water or juice before i swallow if its a dry food. if its not dry like a wet smothered burrito etc i am ok but i still chew a whole lot before i swallow. i have 2 strictures from the acid reflux one up high and one down lower that i will have opened up later this month. thats helps a lot when i swallow to have those open like they should be. HUGS

Last edited by sadgirl1938; 06-01-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
(female)

Jenneez HB User

Thanks so much for your message, your problem sounds awful! I have to be careful about what I eat and always have a drink at the ready when I do. I'm eating small meals about 4 times a day and have little snacks in-between those meals as I have a horrid gnawing sensation when I am hungry. It's very difficult as I attend weight watchers but it's a job to know what to eat as fruit upsets me as does other healthy food. Strangely if I should cheat and have a small piece of cake my stomach doesn't react as much as it would if I ate fruit! I am trying to keep on the straight and narrow though and eat very small portions and, taking on board what other people have suggested to me on this site, I am keeping a diary now of what foods upset me most. This site has been really useful to hear what people have to say. Thanks again.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi they say snacking wears out the stomach when what it needs is rest. If a person is hungry between meals I would fill it with water as this would dilute the stomach acid and may eventually help heal it. sjb

Old 06-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Definitely, cake is easier on the stomach than fruit. Other than apples, pears and bananas, I've basically given up on fruit. Once in a while I let myself have a handful of berries, for the nutrients, but it always hurts afterward.

Now, if you are overweight, there's a chance that your symptoms will resolve or significantly improve after losing weight! Abdominal fat presses on the organs, which contributes to reflux.

Closed Thread