It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

lagger HB User
Can I take AC Vinegar while on a PPI?

I've been on Nexium for 2 weeks. I have had a week of no acid shooting up my throat. But, still feel a film on my tongue, tastes a little sour too. I am sleeping propped up at night (which is now hurting my back). But, don't want that awful acid coming up.

I feel like I'm doing a little better. What is concerning me is that perhaps I have more acid coming up than I think, but the PPI medicine is making so I don't feel it? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm now researching "healing foods" until I can get into a Naturopath doctor. I've had an appointment for weeks for one, but may call another. I really want to work on a good healing cleanse! I've damaged myself with fish oil and other acidic foods.

So...question....can I take the infamous apple cider vinegar while on my PPI? I have talked to a couple people with a history of heartburn/acid reflux and they take their ac vinegar every morning and are fine all day and can eat whatever. Right now I'm not looking to eat whatever, I want to heal first.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Can I take AC Vinegar while on a PPI?

Yes you can I drink although be it not regularly with omeprazole which is a PPI also no issues

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

You might not want to take the AC vinegar and PPI's at the same time. Be stragic about your timing.

How are you propping yourself up when you sleep? If you are using pillows, you could be making things worse. Propping on pillows can acually cause some squishing of your stomach area. A nice wedge pillow designed for sleeping or actually propping up your bed headboard 4-6 inches is better for acid reflux. Personally, I've slept with by bed on an incline for years to let gravity help.

Try sleeping on your left side as well.

When I started new PPI's, my GI doc would tell me to give it at least a month to see if it was going to make any difference. Two weeks may not be long enough to verify long term effectiveness.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

lagger HB User

Thank you!!

Hmm....will try raising my mattress, hadn't thought of the stomach squishing!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I have used ACV with and without other medications without problem. Remember you are supposed to be drinking only a couple of teaspoonfuls dissolved in water, which is probably less than what you would find in salad dressing. You may not want to take both remedies together.

I am a bit neutral about the ACV use for heartburn. So many people find it helpful. In my case, it has done no harm, but I have also not found it particularly helpful for GERD.

The use of Zantac and diet have been the remedies that have provided me with the greatest relief most reliably.

I use other remedies like Melatonin at night and the ACV on and off because I don't think they cause harm and can help.

Closed Thread