It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
(female)

Lmi77 HB User
Alcohol with gerd/acid reflux

I heard that vodka is ok to drink and it won't hurt my stomach as much, is this true or is there any other alcoholic drinks that are ok?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Alcohol with gerd/acid reflux

Nope, alcohol directly irritates the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, causing inflammation of the stomach lining. Alcohol increases the production of gastric (stomach) acid, and can also cause a build up of triglycerides (fat compounds and free fatty acids) in liver cells. There is no good alcohol for anyone that has reflux or gastritis. A normal healthy person can tolerate it but for a person with gerd your just fooling yourself thinking it is ok.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

Lmi77 HB User

Red wine is out, beer out, what is the least acidic alcoholic drink?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I think the least acidic alcoholic drink I can tolerate (a single glass here and there and always with food) is white wine. Red wine is highly acidic, and I think most forms of alcohol have a low PH (meaning they are acidic).

Alcohol causes the stomach to produce excess acid and it is highly irritating to the stomach. That excess acid is going to back up into the esophagus. I hear beer is highly acidic and also has lots of carbs which is another no-no for GERD.

Same can happen with pills taken on an empty stomach.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I'm not sure there is any good alcohol if you have reflux. I've found that any wines or beers are totally a no no for me though. Last 1/2 glass of wine I had stayed with me for 3 days.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

If I ever have alcohol, it's a gin and tonic. I've found this irritates me the least. However, it's still bad for reflux.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I cant think of any Alcohol which would be of any benefit to someone with a stomach complaint.
I would avoid it like the plague, I have had Ulcers and Hiatal-Hernia and any Alcohol is now OUT for me.

Solofelix.

Closed Thread