It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

georgi17 HB Usergeorgi17 HB User
LPR and diet?!

Hi,
I'm at a loss of what to eat, what not to eat! One says low acid high alkaline. Another says low carb high fat...one says carbs are ok..no meat ..yes meat..no dairy.. yes yogurt..no wheat..no gluten..yes manuka..no honey! You get the picture. I currently juice every morning and have always eaten healthy (aside from a sweet tooth which I have curbed). I take DGL before meals and enzymes with meals. Aloe vera juice occasionally. I don't drink coffee.soda,alcohol,spicy,garlic,chocola te, etc...but I'm not sure what to really eat. Anyone have luck with any specific diet? My symptoms are mainly sob breathing issues, bad globus and chest pains. I'm tall and thin. Are there tests for food sensitivities? Maybe that would be a start and then I would at least know what to eliminate.
I'm not taking PPI's. I will take Zantac or Pepcid complete at night if I feel the acid. Has anyone had relief from diet alone? With supplements or naturopathic medicine? This is so frustrating I'm constantly thinking about what I can eat, what I can't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: LPR and diet?!

Coffee, alcohol, chocolate, fried foods and mint are triggers for almost everyone. Beyond that, it varies from person to person, possibly because there are different problems that cause reflux in different people.

Some of us do best on a bland starch-based diet. When I'm flaring, I need lots of plain starch, and all my veggies must be well-cooked. Others find that starch is a trigger, and do best with lots of fresh veggies!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
georgi17 (06-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
Its a case of what suits one may not suit another, trial and error if you like.
I cannot tolerate Spicy or highly seasoned foods, uncooked veg and citrus fruits are Out for me.
I also cut back on Carbohydrates and reintroduce some of them when I feel better.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
georgi17 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

brfrecks HB User

I just wanted to say that I am in the same boat as you. I do not feel the LPR so it is hard to say what foods are doing what. If I learn anything that may be helpful I will let you know.

The following user gives a hug of support to brfrecks:
georgi17 (06-11-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
(female)

darcywil HB User

georgi17...or anyone.....I was wondering the same thing...what foods help/hurt.
I definitely notice a lump in throat feeling with burping and post nasal drip and sometimes swollen (soft not hard) lymph nodes in my nedk under jaw by neck. I have not been formally diagnosed with gerd or lpr, but I feel like my symptoms (and the fact that I have the symptoms approx 20-60 minutes after eating) makes it most likely. I currently drink 2 cups coffee in morning, sometimes a white russian in the evening (not everyday...it has a cup of milk, shot of vodka, shot of kahlua) and I eat whole grain pasta with shredded parmesan cheese about 4-5 days/ week for lunch. Dinner varies. There seems to be no rhyme or reason when I get the worst symptoms. I know I need to cut out some of the stuff (occasionally I cut out all but fresh fruit/veggies and eat plain chicken and drink water...maybe for a month at a time...then all symptoms go away then I get lazy b/c it is SUCH a bland and boring diet). Does anyone have anything that works for them?

Reply Reply