It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
(male)

Mikebade HB User
Bad dreams and Anxiety with GERD before meds

I have read a number of posts blaming bad dreams and anxiety on medications for GERD. I however had these symptoms BEFORE I took any medication. So I wonder if it is not the medication but a symptom for some of us of GERD itself. I can say that it pretty horrible. I wake up every few minutes after dreaming some stupid thing, doze off, am awakened a few minutes later. As days go by I strt to get anxiety about any little thing that never bothers me normally. The only newer for me is to sleep sitting up inclined. I've noticed that mornings are worst then by days end it can be better. Once the stress I my live was gone and I started taking Prozac it all cleared up for many years until just lately. I remember now how debilitating it is.

Last edited by Mikebade; 06-10-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Miss spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Bad dreams and Anxiety with GERD before meds

Anxiety doesn't cause GERD, but it can worsen symptoms. Also, people with anxiety and GERD are more likely to be distressed by it and come to places like this board!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

When my reflux is bad I don't sleep very well and I have bad dreams. I tend to think that reflux and anxiety is a vicious circle. Although each doesn't necessarily cause the other they are definitely linked.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
(male)

Mikebade HB User

My experience has been that I can be full of the real world problems and as long as I don't have the acid refux problem I can cope. But when the refux gets bad then I get cycling dreams that wake me ever few minutes and a weird anxiety that is totally chemically induced by the acid. I hate it. Then i take meds and when the reflux gets under control , the problems haven't changed but I can cope again and sleep. It's no fun. I hadn't had this happen for about 9 years and it just did again this week. This morning was my first good night sleep after 2 terrible nights.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
(male)

Mikebade HB User

I agree totally and there seems to be a threshold where the chemistry of the acid takes over and makesmitmall feel much worse.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
(female)

lindafoster HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebade View Post
I have read a number of posts blaming bad dreams and anxiety on medications for GERD. I however had these symptoms BEFORE I took any medication. So I wonder if it is not the medication but a symptom for some of us of GERD itself. I can say that it pretty horrible. I wake up every few minutes after dreaming some stupid thing, doze off, am awakened a few minutes later. As days go by I strt to get anxiety about any little thing that never bothers me normally. The only newer for me is to sleep sitting up inclined. I've noticed that mornings are worst then by days end it can be better. Once the stress I my live was gone and I started taking Prozac it all cleared up for many years until just lately. I remember now how debilitating it is.
You may be having allergic rxns to something. Histamine response to an allergen. H2 histamine causes acid secretion and I believe, anxiety-like symptons also. Take a claritin, one a day for a week, and see whether it helps. If it does, you should see an allergist to find the cause.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
(female)

lagger HB User

I have posted on several threads that I firmly believe my acid reflux started this winter with me taking fish oil supplements.

My symptoms started with pain in stomach, anxiety, heart racing, and could NOT go to sleep at night. I had horrible insomnia!! Then when I realized the fish oil and was on prilosec, the insomnia/anxiety stopped. I think it was all just a reaction of the fish oil. I thought I was having peri-menopausal hormonal changes.

I kind of wish I would have that early symptoms instead of what I'm dealing with now!

Closed Thread

Tags
acid reflux, acid reflux gerd stomach pain burning, anxiety attacks, bad dreams