HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Ulcer and esophagus healed but still have globus (lump in throat) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/904609-ulcer-esophagus-healed-but-still-have-globus-lump-throat.html)

Zialov 06-11-2012 06:05 PM

Ulcer and esophagus healed but still have globus (lump in throat)

Hello everyone,

Last week I had another scope which showed that my stomach had healed from the ulcer and my esophagus was also healed. Everything looked normal. My problem is that I still have the feeling that there is something in my throat (globus)[B][/B]. The doctor told me I could go off the PPI but I'm afraid that if the throat feeling is from reflux, going off Nexium could cause me to get esophagitis again. Can the lump in the throat feeling linger awhile even after other symptoms go away? Should I still be avoiding certain food and drink?

sadgirl1938 06-11-2012 06:30 PM

Re: Ulcer and esophagus healed but still have globus (lump in throat)

zialov i take mylanta when i feel that thing". try a little sip a few times a day every day, it takes a few days to get working some times. there it still something going on, maybe a touch of gastritis?
did you only use nexium ? am curious bc i am a sufferer also.

dr wants me to try PPI prevacid. i am already taking a small mg pepcid before each meal and i only eat 3 times a day, and a zantac in the pm and and in the am. they all help some. but i wonder if prevacid would help even more ? the prevacid will take time to work some times a week ? and she said its ok to keep taking them all together for a short time until the prevacid starts to work. i am glad yours healed. ((HUGS))

Zialov 06-11-2012 06:40 PM

Hi sadgirl. I've tried Protonix, Prilosec and Nexium. They all must have been effective since my first scope showed a stomach ulcer and grade B esophagitis but my second scope showed everything was normal. The funny thing is that even though I was healing, I continued throughout to have the feeling that there was something stuck in my throat. I would have days when the feeling was gone and days when it returned. I don't know what to make of it. I hope you find relief soon.

sadgirl1938 06-11-2012 06:46 PM

i would still avoid bad foods or drinks, and you may need a diff. ppi. maybe this one isnt working as well as it first did ?

sadgirl1938 06-11-2012 07:00 PM

i hope you find relief also, it also could be a stricture in throat, thats what i have. i guess try the mylanta a few days and see what happens.

i have the stricture from the acid reflux.

sadgirl1938 06-11-2012 07:02 PM

did you blow up with gas when you ate from ulcer ? thats what i am doing

Spunkyhunny 06-12-2012 06:54 AM

Hi there...glad to hear that your major problems are healed....can you please tell me how long you were on your meds for for you to get better and what meds they were...
I also get that feeling in my throat from the acid,,its sucks...i drink the acid reflux tea and take a pepcid or zantac and drink lots of water.....gaviscon does help too..its happens os out of the blue and stays for a day or 2 or 3..then just goes...
glad your feeling better
Spunky:)

Zialov 06-12-2012 08:40 AM

Hi Spunky,

It took 10 weeks for me to heal. I tried three different medicines and to be honest, I think they were all about the same. First I was on Protonix, then Prilosec and finally Nexium. I hope your problems resolve soon. I hate the throat thing but I guess it could be worse. I never had burning or that empty raw feeling in my stomach.

Zialov 06-12-2012 08:41 AM

I did have a lot of gas from the ulcer. I was belching after every meal. Very unlady like burps. LOL.

sadgirl1938 06-12-2012 01:44 PM

zialov ty for your input i am a lot better today but wondered what others with ulcers dealt with, spunky i got that to with ulcers and with acid reflux, both gave me that feeling, i take mylanta a few sips every day as needed when i get that feeling plus i have recently started to take zantac 150 two times a day. and i take a pepcid at every meal bc of ulcers.

Spunkyhunny 06-12-2012 04:33 PM

hi all...
i dont believe i have an ulcer..i dont have any pain so to speak of except the burning stomach occasionally now that the prevacid has kicked in and the burning but not burning throat along withthe reflux..sometimes i feel so full and so gross..its frustrating...so u sy 10 weeks on 3 different types of pills..how long for each pill...or did u take all 3 together...probably not but u never know what docs will do nowadays...i just really want the reflux to go away,,after all the stress i have had in my life over the past 6 months i think i deserve a break...i have changed everything from foods to sleeping no booze not htt i drank much before but it would be nice to have one now and again...no chocolate (Boohoo) no coffee..no ice tea...i mean i am trying so h ard but it still happens....i know that my problems all started when my mothers health went in the crapper and the she passed unexpectedly, so it has been very trying for me. at least my anxiety and panic attacks are getting better thats one positive thing...i just want to be able to bend over and pick something up without the acid running into my throat...ARG....
once again thanks for the info and hope everyone starts to feel better soon.
I wonder if i should just say to heck with the prevacid and try a different PPI..as I am trying to wean myself off of these nasty pills....
Hey Zialov when u stopped taking your meds did u get any acid rebound or anything like that....and if so what did you do to help it.i think that is what i am dealing with now since i am cutting my dose to once a day instead of 2...
plus i now have to take antibiotics for a sore tooth...which apparently upset the stomach too...sheesh...i wish i could have a kitkat break...lol..
Spunky:)

Zialov 06-12-2012 07:50 PM

Hi Spunky,

I think you asked me a couple of questions in your post. No, I wasn't on 3 different PPIs all at once. None of them seemed to work all that well for me in terms of the lump in the throat issue so after 2 or 3 weeks on one, I'd try another. I still haven't gone off Nexium but the doctor told me I could. I plan to come off very slowly. I know your frustration. I started having problems when my husband was sick and also became very depressed earlier this year. I thought for a while I was going to lose him. Silly me, it didn't occur to me at all that maybe I should to talk to someone about how afraid I was. I thought I had to be strong for my husband.

I think it just takes a while for everything to just settle down. My body tells me real fast when it doesn't like something. That lump feeling gets worse. I've been thinking that it's time for me to lose some weight anyway so maybe now would be a good time to go on a healthy weight losing diet. It's funny though. Today I had a hamburger and fries with my son. A good quality burger and fries but even so, you would have thought my stomach would not have liked that menu one bit. However, I was fine. Then tonight, I had a small helping of french toast with peaches (OK, I know, my diet wouldn't when any healthy awards today) and immediately my system rebelled. It was like it was saying, "you're kidding me, more carbs?"

Anyway, for those of you who believe in prayer, lets pray for each other because this is hard. One last thing, I'm still wondering if anyone else has experienced the progression I've had: Starting out with the sense of something sitting in my throat and a lot of belching. Then diagnosed with ulcer and esophagitis which healed after a period of time. And then finally, left only with the lump or whatever feeling in throat. Will this go away over time?

sadgirl1938 06-12-2012 09:59 PM

zialov i will pray for you, i believe in prayer, and yes the way you described it is how i figured out that i had a ulcer again. but the lump in throat feeling goes away for me when i take mylanta. i take that and pepcid before each meal and 2 zantac a day. but the main thing is mylanta. thats what takes the lump away for me. i have some of that lump tonight. and will probably just take some mylanta and will be ok.

had to take some sinus pills today for a bad cold i got and those prob. upset ulcers a bit. mylanta is my answer to what you are saying is in the throat. you have my sympathy i to hate this feeling and go thru it when my ulcers or reflux are bad.

for me yes this feeling goes away when the ulcer / reflux goes away. i wonder if your reflux is so bad it isnt giving your throat a chance to heal.

if so you need to find some thing else to take at night i bet you are getting some reflux each night and dont know it. if so i would take a zantac or pepcid before bed time for a few nights and see what happens.

also take some mylanta you can even get the generic version. i would take a few swallows every day.

Zialov 06-13-2012 06:48 AM

Sadgirl, I'll pick my some mylanta and pepsid today. The gavicon (sp?) also sounds interesting that Spunky mentioned. I did pray for both of you last night and will continue. Thanks for your prayers, that's good medicine :-) We will all get through this and feel better. We need to trust that while we are healing. I have another tip, I've read some great things about coffee tamer and plan to buy some. You can find it on the web. You can also sprinkle it on spicy or tomato type foods like pizza.

sadgirl1938 06-13-2012 09:29 PM

you are also in prayers zialov let me know how it goes