It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
(female)

gailytop HB User
twisted esophagus

has anyone had a large hital hernia making your esphogus twisted,i can't eat food it gets stuck i've had all the test dr. says surgery is only anwser.i'm going to try the magnesium.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User
Re: twisted esphogus

i would get and drink ensure plus so that i had enough calories until i could eat again.
if its that large and twisted surgery may be the only way. make sure you get a good surgeon as i have heard that the surgery is very hard to recover from and has to be done just right.

The Following User Says Thank You to sadgirl1938 For This Useful Post:
gailytop (06-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Magnesium may help people who have excess acid, or maybe people who have a weak valve at the top of the stomach. It's not going to untangle your esophagus. Still, try magnesium if you want to, just make sure you're taking a liquid or powder form, so you can swallow it.

Definitely, find the best surgeon possible. When I had my hiatal hernia fixed, I found a surgeon who did that at least twice a week (plus other stomach procedures.) I had a great outcome.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

gailytop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailytop View Post
has anyone had a large hital hernia making your esphogus twisted,i can't eat food it gets stuck i've had all the test dr. says surgery is only anwser.i'm going to try the magnesium.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this, but how do you find a good surgeon?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
(female)

not sure, but maybe check at a hospital

Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

gailytop HB User

i'm cause i can'y lose anymore weight.going to try magnesium i have a lot of gas & belching I had a bunch of test that i haven't heard what the dr. said hopefully the magnesium will help

Old 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Try the magnesium, but since you are thin and still losing weight, please don't wait too long.

When finding a good surgeon, the first step is to ask the doctor referring you. A good gastroenterologist probably knows who the good GI surgeons in the area are, and that's how I found mine.

Next, check his reputation. My surgeon mostly advertises for bariatric (weight loss) surgery, but it's actually a similar procedure! Finally, ask him, "how often do you do this procedure." It's a perfectly legitimate question.

And when you first meet the surgeon, it's OK to consider your impressions. Does the surgeon listen? Answer questions? Appear knowledgeable? Do you feel you could trust him?

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
gailytop (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
(female)

gailytop get ensure boost plus and drink enough to get in 800 - 1200 calories a day at least. you have to have that much. they have several flavors. a neighbor where i used to live at had stomach cancer and had most of her stomach cut away. she has for 7 years now lived off of ensure / slim fast. she likes the flavors of both and drinks 3 ensure a day and 2 slim fast a day if i can remember. the ensure she likes for the nutrition and the slim fast she likes for the calories. i would get it and drink it as long as possible until this is fixed. my friend did so good on that diet of liquids only that she actually as of the last time i saw her she was prob. 60 pounds over weight at least. you can thrive on it. sounds horrible but it works. i know as i had to live off of ensure/slimfast for some time also after a procedure that did a lot of damage to my throat.

Last edited by sadgirl1938; 06-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
(female)

gailytop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachilly View Post
I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this, but how do you find a good surgeon?
I live in anderson,in i go to dr, maier they say he's good but i don't think he does the hital hernia so if anyoe knows a dr. in anderson or indy, let me know.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
(female)

gailytop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl1938 View Post
gailytop get ensure boost plus and drink enough to get in 800 - 1200 calories a day at least. you have to have that much. they have several flavors. a neighbor where i used to live at had stomach cancer and had most of her stomach cut away. she has for 7 years now lived off of ensure / slim fast. she likes the flavors of both and drinks 3 ensure a day and 2 slim fast a day if i can remember. the ensure she likes for the nutrition and the slim fast she likes for the calories. i would get it and drink it as long as possible until this is fixed. my friend did so good on that diet of liquids only that she actually as of the last time i saw her she was prob. 60 pounds over weight at least. you can thrive on it. sounds horrible but it works. i know as i had to live off of ensure/slimfast for some time also after a procedure that did a lot of damage to my throat.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
(female)

gailytop HB User

i drink boost cottage cheese goes down thanks for the info i'll try ensure[I] got some magesium today i read it helps spasms. when i get upset i can't breathe wish someone knew what would help that.

Closed Thread