It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User
Heartburn cured - The low carb miracle?

I recently got this book "Heartburn Cured" and it basically is saying that eating carbs, especially the bad carbs can cause reflux. Maybe because the "sugar" can cause bloating. Anyway, I did the diet for a few days but didn't see much change in my LPR symptoms. I'm thinking about maybe trying it for longer, like a couple weeks to see if it will help. I think it would be better than going on the prilosec. Has anyone had success with low carb eating? You can eat a lot of fat, but not really fried foods since you can't have potatoes or anything with breading. Mainly kinda like the atkins diet. I would do lots of low starch veggies, but little fruits, except maybe some berries. No sugar, flour, pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, etc. You can have all the meat you want, cheese, sour cream, butter. Lots of squash, brocolli, cauliflower, all the low starch veggies. Probably hard to stick to but maybe better than being on PPIs???????????????????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cygnet2 HB User
Re: Heartburn cured - The low carb miracle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro47 View Post
I recently got this book "Heartburn Cured" and it basically is saying that eating carbs, especially the bad carbs can cause reflux. Maybe because the "sugar" can cause bloating. Anyway, I did the diet for a few days but didn't see much change in my LPR symptoms. I'm thinking about maybe trying it for longer, like a couple weeks to see if it will help. I think it would be better than going on the prilosec. Has anyone had success with low carb eating? You can eat a lot of fat, but not really fried foods since you can't have potatoes or anything with breading. Mainly kinda like the atkins diet. I would do lots of low starch veggies, but little fruits, except maybe some berries. No sugar, flour, pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, etc. You can have all the meat you want, cheese, sour cream, butter. Lots of squash, brocolli, cauliflower, all the low starch veggies. Probably hard to stick to but maybe better than being on PPIs???????????????????????????
I find it interesting that it allows cruciferous veggies, as they are notorious for causing heartburn and gas. I've had severe reflux for almost 15 years, and for me, changes in diet did nothing. If you're talking about occasional bouts of heartburn, not GERD, perhaps it would help. Keep in mind that Prilosec is meant for short term use ONLY. Your doctor can prescribe other PPI's that are meant for longer term use. ANY PPI can cause a rebound effect, i.e, when you stop taking it, your symptoms are worse than ever and you have to go back on meds.
Reflux is a serious, serious thing, so if you try the diet and it doesn't work, move on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Actually, Prilosec is just as good as other PPIs for long term use. The reason it says "2 weeks only" on the package is that if 2 weeks doesn't resolve the problem, you should get checked out by a doctor rather than continuing to use OTC drugs. Many people without prescription drug coverage continue to take OTC Prilosec per doctor's orders.

Ro47, avoiding refined carbs seems to be very helpful to some people with reflux. For me, though, I can't imagine it working. I absolutely cannot have berries, I need low-fat foods, and during bad flareups, I can't even have fiber. If I didn't eat carbs, I wouldn't eat.

It's interesting. I definitely believe there isn't one single "reflux diet," that different people have different triggers. Still, for some of us, low carb may be worth trying!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I agree with Jane , no one fix for all when it comes to reflux. You here lots of different diet methods used here and elsewhere but you really have to learn by trial and error what works for you.

I can eat bread and carbs all day but refined sugar and products that contain them bother me. Anything acidic bothers me, have to watch labels for citrate, citric acid. Coffee is a no no , a little booze seems to have little impact but more than a little and it has a lot. I stick to low fat meat , starches (rice, potatoes) , low gas vegetables like green beans for dinner. Limiting portion sizes have a very positive impact for me.

It's confusing at first but I am learning to understand what I can tolerate and what I have to give up. Certainly miss some products that are loaded with sugar , like red licorice which a couple of pieces can set me off yet I can have a M&M's with yogurt ice cream and it doesn't bother me, go figure.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
(female)

susan744444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro47 View Post
Keep a food diary and find out what foods are triggering your reflux. Look carefully at the ingredients. I had rebound from coming off of a PPI and discovered the things setting mine off were too many carbs (boiled potatoes seemed okay) like breads, dairy, and any acidic fruit. Then I discovered foods with yeast in it were giving me bad reactions - anything that creates gas in the stomach like refried beans, pickles, or cabbage.

Anyhow, what helped me through rebound was just keeping a food diary. Celery has been my lifesaver. I'll never take a PPI drug again after going through the rebound. If you have a condition that creates reflux, maybe your doctor has ideas on diet. Read on the internet, but most important, listen to your own body. It will let you know within 2 hours if something you ate was a no-no. I stuck to foods that didn't cause any and I am incorporating 1 new food at a time per meal so I'll KNOW if I have a reaction, that was the culprit.

The Following User Says Thank You to susan744444 For This Useful Post:
tampopo (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

Well this morning I had 6 metamucil capsules (that's the standard dose) then I drank a cup of black tea with 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cream. Two hours later, I feel my stomach bloat up and I can feel the acid coming up in my throat. I usually have my plain metamucil in orange juice but decided to take the capsules instead. This is my morning routine and if I don't do it, I can't seem to have my regular bm. (sorry if tmi, but I have trouble with constipation) What do you think was the trigger? Any ideas?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

cygnet2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Actually, Prilosec is just as good as other PPIs for long term use. The reason it says "2 weeks only" on the package is that if 2 weeks doesn't resolve the problem, you should get checked out by a doctor rather than continuing to use OTC drugs. Many people without prescription drug coverage continue to take OTC Prilosec per doctor's orders.

Ro47, avoiding refined carbs seems to be very helpful to some people with reflux. For me, though, I can't imagine it working. I absolutely cannot have berries, I need low-fat foods, and during bad flareups, I can't even have fiber. If I didn't eat carbs, I wouldn't eat.

It's interesting. I definitely believe there isn't one single "reflux diet," that different people have different triggers. Still, for some of us, low carb may be worth trying!
Actually, no is it is not. There are other PPI's that are actually MEANT for long term use. I was not referring to the instructions on the package. I was put on it by a GP who had me on it or 4 years, and when I saw a gastroenterologist for the first time, he was shocked that a doctor would use it on a patient long-term. Subsequent GE's have told me the same thing and my ex-husband, a pharmacist I married AFTER my Prilosec experience also says the same thing. I was on Prilosec before it became OTC, so it had nothing to do with package instructions. One of the things it can cause with long term use, and by that I mean a few years, is Vit. B-12 deficiency, which I had. If you are on Prilosec long-term, it's important to have you blood levels checked periodically. If your doctor doesn't order blood work, ask him/her to do so.

-

Last edited by cygnet2; 06-20-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: edited to include further info

Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I imagine the problem with the metamucil capsules is that they are puffing up all at once when they hit water, which "crowds" your stomach.

Try going back to the powder, but dissolving it in, say, apple juice instead of orange.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

In my experience, nothing has "cured" my heartburn, but a diet low in carbs definitely helps and has minimized heartburn episodes for me.

Even with a low carb diet, I cannot drink caffeine or too much alcohol or chocolate or mint or green peppers. Those are all triggers for me.

I think where we get into trouble is when advertisers promise "miracles" or "cures" and these are not forthcoming.

My suspicion is that GERD is going to manifest itself differently for different people and certain diets will help some people more than others.

Usually low carbs also mean low other things because you cannot have a lot of pasta, etc. Therefore, I end up eating lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. Therefore, sometimes I also wonder to what extent the type of low carb diet I follow is good for my reflux because it is also healthy in other ways. I love bacon, for example, but I don't eat a ton of it because it is low in carbs.

I do think trying a low carbohydrate diet is worth a shot.

Rose

Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User

Green peppers, onion, oranges, tomatoes, garlic, and basically any other delicious fruit or vegetable gives me reflux. I'd be a bit skeptical about the diet "cure" until it actually does the curing. But I've been told I'm a pessimist. No harm in using an OTC antacid if you are wary of PPIs. I swear by Gaviscon (along with my PPIs and H2 blockers of course!)

Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

I followed the Atkins Induction diet for two weeks in July and my GERD just disappeared. I haven't taken omeprazole since the 15th of July and even though I quit the diet on the 27th, I learned stay away from bread and sugars as much as possible! BUT. Last night my heartburn was insane and I hadn't eaten any "trigger foods" all evening. I was getting no sleep so I got out of bed and had some Tums. That helped for about 15 minutes... Can't take the omeprazole after the heartburn hits... So I tried a spoonful of plain yogurt (unsweetened, low fat) -- a few days ago I found that helped tremendously. AND last night, that spoonful took the heartburn immediately and I was fine all night!! YEA!!! How cool is that?

Last edited by Lisa_P; 08-02-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
(female)

nikib5 HB User

I'm a little late joining this conversation, but I just wanted to say that I bought the Heartburn Cured book over 6 years ago now and it did cure my GERD and it has stayed away. I was on a PPI for a couple of years prior, and although it helped initially, I started feeling bad. I stumbled on the book through a message board and it was a revelation. It really is calling for a lifestyle change, but I don't feel deprived. I remember how bad I used to feel and that motivates me to stay away from certain high carb foods to the point where I don't even think about eating them.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I'm so glad low carb helped you. It's not helping me. I've been doing it for over a month and still having burning in my chest and sore throat and lots of sinus drainage. (lpr, I think) I so wish this low carb lifestyle would fix it, I really like eating this way and I'm losing weight. I don't understand why it's not working.

Reply Reply