It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User
Psyllium husk: good or bad for reflux?

I've taken metamucil daily for years for my constipation. I started taking the capsules recently instead of putting the psyllium in my orange juice. (since orange juice is bad for reflux) Anyway, I had my metamucil capsules this morning with water followed by a couple of hot tea (I still can't seem to give up my caffeine in the a.m.) I did put two spoons of sugar and some cream in my tea. A couple hours later, I ate one boiled egg. That was it, nothing else. Then one hour later I felt my abdomen bloat up like a balloon and I could immediately feel the mucus in the back of my throat and behind my nose. My question is: Could the metamucil be causing me to bloat up, thus causing the reflux (I do have a small hiatal hernia). I've taken it for many years without reflux but I'm wondering if it could now be part of the problem.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: Psyllium husk: good or bad for reflux?

I take it every day. It keeps me from getting constipated, which helps the reflux. I've had times where I've not taken it and there's no difference with my reflux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I know, I hate to stop taking it because I think you need to keep things moving thru. I think a toxic colon can contribute to gerd. Thanks for your reply, I just wish I knew why my upper abdomen bloats at times, maybe it is just the hernia.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I ran into a constipation problem after stopping coffee a few months ago. Used psyllium to get things going and it helped at that end. Don't think it has much impact on reflux except if you have constipation issues. I eventually moved to Benefiber as it could be bought without any citric acid added or sugar. Now I take nothing as my issues are gone, apparently coffee also gets the colon hooked on it my GI tells me. Not unusual for folks drinking and suddenly stopping to get constipated he claims. Found the fiber supplements worked but man did I get gas from them. Hopefully my diet is high enough in fiber that I don't need them any longer, don't miss the farting

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My GI doc actually recommended it daily and I've been dealing with some pretty severe reflux. I'd vote good.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

Ciril HB User

Try ginger tea right from the root not the powder type. Scraped the skin and crushed it then put it in boiling water until the water turns golden brown. Drink it while warm. Use this instead of coffee. I have gerd for almost as old as my lower back pain. My gerd was gone but my back pain is still very much around. My ginger tea becomes a part of me already. Try it. There's not harm, its herbal.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro47 View Post
I know, I hate to stop taking it because I think you need to keep things moving thru. I think a toxic colon can contribute to gerd. Thanks for your reply, I just wish I knew why my upper abdomen bloats at times, maybe it is just the hernia.
Do you take PPIs? I find these cause bloating.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #8
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I just got a prescription for prilosec 40 mg to take once a daily. I just haven't started it yet cause I'm scared of this "rebound" everyone is talking about and I'm afraid it may make me worse in the long run.

Closed Thread