It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Could the bad taste in my mouth be post nasal drip and not reflux?

I was diagnosed with LPR about 5 years ago. Never definitively. Just by an ENT by observing redness in my throat.

I am wondering if I vagus nerve damage causing PND. PND can cause bad taste in the mouth.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User
Re: Could the bad taste in my mouth be post nasal drip and not reflux?

The refluxed liquid that reaches your throat while you're sleeping in a flat position will cause sore throat, sinus inflammation and pnd. In my case it caused bronchitis several times, then pneumonia and chronic sinusitis (requiring surgery). Maybe there are more things you can do for your LPR? Diet, lifestyle changes, OTC meds, etc. Have you ever been to a gastroentrologist about the LPR?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post
The refluxed liquid that reaches your throat while you're sleeping in a flat position will cause sore throat, sinus inflammation and pnd. In my case it caused bronchitis several times, then pneumonia and chronic sinusitis (requiring surgery). Maybe there are more things you can do for your LPR? Diet, lifestyle changes, OTC meds, etc. Have you ever been to a gastroentrologist about the LPR?
Should I feel the liquid?

The taste is my mouth does occur when I am laying on my back and right side. When I lay on my left side, it goes away instantly.

I am getting the impression that the bad taste is from PND and not acid.

I have tried everything. Been to numerous doctors.

I am taking Vitamin D an Gaviscon Advance and improving.

Last edited by kevinla; 06-28-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

I've had this problem for 3 years and I didn't feel the refluxed liquid until maybe 6 months ago. If I lay flat, I'll wake up choking on it (gross!).

I've changed my diet, sleep inclined, and I take Nexium twice a day, Zantac at night, and Gaviscon as needed especially during the night. Along with vitamins. The plan of action (according to my ENT) is that they stick sensors down my esophagus to measure the pH for 24 hours to get an accurate picture of my reflux situation. From my own research, it looks like they can try one more drug to speed up digestion (reglan). But if that doesn't work it will probably be surgery. Of course, the docs haven't told me this, I'm just speculating. I can't sleep during the night very well because of this problem, so I have plenty of time for reading. At this rate, I almost hope they offer surgery because I hate being sick all of the time. This wreaks havoc on my breathing and sinuses.

I hope you continue to improve with the vitamin D and Gaviscon.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post
I've had this problem for 3 years and I didn't feel the refluxed liquid until maybe 6 months ago. If I lay flat, I'll wake up choking on it (gross!).

I've changed my diet, sleep inclined, and I take Nexium twice a day, Zantac at night, and Gaviscon as needed especially during the night. Along with vitamins. The plan of action (according to my ENT) is that they stick sensors down my esophagus to measure the pH for 24 hours to get an accurate picture of my reflux situation. From my own research, it looks like they can try one more drug to speed up digestion (reglan). But if that doesn't work it will probably be surgery. Of course, the docs haven't told me this, I'm just speculating. I can't sleep during the night very well because of this problem, so I have plenty of time for reading. At this rate, I almost hope they offer surgery because I hate being sick all of the time. This wreaks havoc on my breathing and sinuses.

I hope you continue to improve with the vitamin D and Gaviscon.
Have you had your Vitamin D checked? For people with a deficiency, taking supplements can help LPR.

Last edited by kevinla; 06-28-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
Have you had your Vitamin D checked? For people with a deficiency, taking supplements can help LPR.
I did actually have my blood tested a while back and I was deficient in vit. D. I had to take high dosage pills for a while and I'm taking OTC stuff now. For a long time, I never had symptoms of reflux. The only symptoms I had were chronic sinus infections, runny nose, slightly sore throat (I thought it was from sinus drainage), and occasional burning in my stomach when I ate spicy food. It just seems to be getting worse and worse. I've tried a lot of natural remedies, but I have to be careful with things containing sugar because I'm hypoglycemic, so no honey for me.

Closed Thread